November 14, 2021
GRAD GAB (This section of the LSS Scoop is a place to find updates for “all things Grad”!)
- Dry Grad 2022 – Next Meeting!!!
- Wednesday, Dec 1 at 7 pm in the Library Learning Commons
- LSS Dry Grad Fundraiser
- Support the Dry Grad by buying Gift Cards To Ralph’s Farm Market/Meridien Farm Market!
- Here is the pdf of the order form: Meridian-Ralphs-Farm-Fresh-Fundraiser-Form.pdf
- The deadline is Dec 1st for getting in the order forms and payment which can be dropped off at the LSS main office.
- If there are any questions, please email: Lssdrygrad@gmail.com
- Here are some dates that grads might be interested in knowing:
- Grad Portrait Week – February 20, and February 22-26
- Grad Cruise – Thursday, April 21
- Grad Ceremony – Wednesday, June 15, 7 pm – CLA
- Grad Dinner and Dance – Friday, June 24, 6:30 pm – Coast Langley City Hotel & Convention Centre
DIWALI AT LSS!
- Thanks to Mr. Mahil for organizing our Diwali celebration as LSS acknowledges and celebrates the diversity of our students and staff. See below for different activities that took place, including samosa sales, the wearing of traditional clothing, henna applications, and how to tie a turban:
LSS LAW 12 FIELD TRIP
- Ms. Anderson’s Law 12 class worked with the Vancouver Police museum to close its doors to the public to allow this field trip to happen! There was a great deal to see, from the preserved morgue and autopsy suite to the historic police artifacts and confiscated weapons displays.
REMEMBRANCE DAY AT LSS
- For the 2nd year in a row, LSS commemorated Remembrance Day with a video presentation to the entire school on Wednesday, November 10. A huge thank you to Batoul and Ms. Khaulder for their moving stories, to Mrs. Lidemark and her Dance class for their inspired performance, to Mr. Howlett and Mr. Tesan for their professional-quality filming and editing, and to the entire Remembrance Day committee, who came together several weeks ago to plan and put this all together.
I AM AN ALLY T-SHIRTS
- Last year the District held a student t-shirt design contest and received many awesome designs! The winning design was submitted by Rebecca, a student at REMSS. Staff were able to purchase the t-shirts to wear during Pride Month in June 2021.
- We are now offering the t-shirts for student purchase. We have set-up the t-shirts for sale in KEV School Cash online accounts.
- Youth short-sleeve t-shirts; sizes S – XL at a cost of $7.50
- Unisex short-sleeve t-shirts; sizes S – XL at a cost of $11.50 (2XL $14.25; 3XL–5XL $17.00)
- Ladies short-sleeve t-shirts; sizes XS – XL at a cost of $12.75 (2XL $15.50; 3XL $18.25)
- All prices include tax and shipping.
- The deadline to order is Thursday, November 18th. Shirts will be delivered to the school for distribution prior to the Christmas break.
ARTONA AND ORDERING
- Artona and Ordering Photos
- Your retake images are now online! Please provide the following link to your students and families so they can view their images, select their yearbook photo and place an order: https://www.artona.com/schools/LANS/programs/school_photo
- Please remind your grade 8-11 students that the final deadline to select their yearbook photo is Wednesday, November 10, 2021. Students and families can read more about selecting the yearbook photo on our blog here: https://www.blog.artona.com/selecting-yearbook-photos
LSS MUSIC CONCERT
- LSS Music Concert and Fundraiser
- The music department is SO excited to announce our first concert in what seems like forever on Thursday, Dec. 9 at 7 pm in the small gym. We will be reserving tickets for this event (as we need to limit capacity to 50%) with families of our musicians having priority. If you are not related to a music student but you want to add your name to a reservation list please let Mrs. Thorpe know. We’d love to have as many fans in the audience as possible.
- Another way you can support our music department and HELP YOURSELF AS WELL is to order your necessary Purdy’s chocolate through us. We can save you that trip to the mall! Orders due Nov. 29, and chocolate in your hands by Dec. 10th. Two ways to order: 1) talk to your favourite LSS band or choir student and get a look at the paper catalogue or even easier 2) visit the link below and place your order (if you want to support a particular student send an email to email@example.com after you place the order and we will direct the profit to them.
LSS ATHLETICS – UPDATES!
- Congratulations to the LSS Football Thunderbirds for their 20-0 victory against Windsor in their final game of the regular season! For more details, be sure to read Howard Tsumura’s Varsity Letters at varsity letters.ca
- Their next game is in the BC Provincial AA Quarterfinals, this Friday at 12:30 pm at McLeod Stadium. Be sure to be there to support the team!
- University of the Fraser Valley Information Session for Legal Admin Assistant & Paralegal Programs
- Come to meet the experts. On November 18 at 7 p.m. you are invited to come and learn about UFV’s Legal Administrative Assistant program, Paralegal Certificate, and Paralegal Diploma. A short presentation will provide information that includes: the benefits of taking one or all of these programs, a review of the courses you would take, how the courses are delivered, and the duration of the program. Bring your questions or enter your questions in the registration link below.
- This invitation is for people who would like to improve their knowledge or skills in the legal field and for people who might want to start a career in one of these areas. We will talk about what these programs offer. Feel free to forward this invitation to others you think may be interested in attending.
- Register to Learn about UFV’s Legal Admin Assistant & Paralegal Programs on November 18, 2021
- Hairstylist Workshop – Dec 9, 9AM – 11AM
- Interested in working as a Hairstylist? Want to work where you can express your creativity and earn an income while you continue your academic studies?
- Students in grade 9 – 12 are invited to join us for a workshop at the Langley School District Youth TRAIN in Trades Hair Lab at Aldergrove Community Secondary School.
- Please pick up a permission form at LSS Counselling Centre!
- Electrical Workshop – Dec 8, 9AM – 11AM
- Students in Grade 10 & 11 (+ mature Grade 9’s) are invited to join us for a workshop at Langley School District’s BCIT Electrical Satellite Campus at DW Poppy. Students will learn about occupations related to the Electrical industry and will be involved in some hands-on activities with current BCIT students. There will be plenty of time to ask questions!
- Come to the LSS Counselling Centre to pick up a permission form!
- Permission forms Due Dec 1, 2021
SAVE THE DATE – LSS EVENING OF DANCE!
- The LSS Evening of Dance will be held this semester: Tuesday December 14th at 7pm in the Small Gym (Limited audience and Covid Guidelines)
NOVEMBER PAC MEETING
- The next PAC Meeting for this year is Monday, November 22 at 7 pm!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
- Mr. Nicol’s Environmental Science class continues to work at the Learning Farm, a space that continues to be transformed, and that LSS students get to be a part of and learn from:
- Mrs. Synychych’s Science 9 class synthesizes copper and then tests for its presence using a flame test.
FROM THE DISTRICT AND IN THE COMMUNITY
- FamilySmart’s November Virtual In the Know Event
- In the Know Fall Virtual event is on November 29 at 6:30 pm. The November video is “Beyond Behaviours: When Is It More? What It Looks Like At Ages 13-18yrs”
- REMINDER: ISP Homestay Families Needed
- The ISP Homestay Department is looking to recruit new homestay families across the District. Please see the attached Homestay Recruitment Ad:
- Langley Homestay Ad 2021
- SCHOOL DISTRICT FOUNDATION
- 50/50 Big Jackpot
- With the impact of the pandemic and the loss of in-person events, we have decided the BEST way to raise some much-needed funds for students in our district is to do a good old 50/50 raffle! That’s why this BIG JACKPOT is so essential!
- We appreciate your support in sharing with your school community and staff, helping us to promote this opportunity to support Langley students and schools.
- Limited tickets are available! Tickets sold online here: lsdf.rafflenexus.com
- Information About School Status During Inclement Weather
- Snow closures and power outages are an annual occurrence in Langley School District. So, where do you go to get information about the status of schools during periods of inclement weather? If you are able to access the internet via computer or smartphone, current information about Langley schools can be accessed on all school websites or www.sd35.bc.ca. Updates are also posted to Twitter @LangleySchools and Facebook at www.facebook.com/langleyschooldistrict. If you don’t have internet connectivity but your phone is working, call a relative or friend in an area that has not been affected by the storm and ask them to check the district website for you. Local radio stations are also informed of school status in Langley. Tune in to CKWX 1130AM, CKNW 980AM, Country Radio 107.1FM, Pulse 107.7 or CBC 690AM or 88.1FM for updates.
- Please note that Langley District schools are all considered ‘open’ until a decision to close is required. Decisions on school closures are usually made by 6:30am. As always, it is a parent’s decision whether to send their child to school based on safety and individual circumstances. If you feel it is unsafe for you or your child to travel to or attend an open school for any reason, please keep your child home and report an absence to the school.
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Be sure to see the Calendar of upcoming events in “The Week Ahead” pdf, attached below and also attached to the body of the email sent out weekly to parents: The Week Ahead – November 15-19 – Parent