October 17, 2021
GRAD GAB (This section of the LSS Scoop is a place to find updates for “all things Grad”!)
- NEW – We have NOT had anyone step forward to assist with Dry Grad preparations. If you are interested, please contact Mr. Moino at email@example.com and he will connect you with other interested parents/guardians.
- Dry Grad is a group that is run by Grade 12 parents to provide a safe year-end celebration. Dry Grad is NOT a school event. At the same time, to assist in communication, the LSS Scoop will provide updates, as provided by the Dry Grad Parent Committee. As the Dry Grad Committee starts up in the coming weeks, we will also be sure to share information to you.
- Here are some dates that grads might be interested in:
- Grad Portrait Week – February 20, and February 22-26
- Grad Cruise – Thursday, April 21
- Grad Ceremony – Wednesday, June 15, 7 pm – CLA
- Grad Dinner and Dance – Friday, June 24, 6:30 pm – Coast Langley City Hotel & Convention Centre
TERRY FOX RUN A SUCCESS!
- The LSS AVID classes worked with the PHE Department and the Jazz Band to organize another outstanding event that included the entire school walking or running in support of Cancer research! Thanks to all donors who helped to raise over $1100 for a cause that is so important to so many of us.
LSS STUDENT MAKING A DIFFERENCE…
- A group of Langley Secondary grade 12 students (plus Mr. Sheppard!) donated to Canadian Blood Services last week as a part of the student organized LSS Blood Drive! If you are interested in donating, there will be another blood drive on January 30th!
LSS FOOTBALL – UPDATES!
- The LSS Football team continues its impressive run, defeating North Vancouver’s Argyle Pipers 42-0 in the Homecoming game on Friday, October 8, before outlasting Abbotsford’s Robert Bateman, the #2 ranked AA team in the province, 13-7 this past Friday in a nail-biter that came down to a defensive stand in the red zone in the final minutes of the game!
- See below for photos, video, and more descriptions:
- Oct 11 – VIDEO: Undefeated LSS Thunderbirds dominate early season
- Highlights of the Argyle game: https://www.hudl.com/v/2G4ELz
- “There’s a certain amount of shock and awe that they bring.” The Langley Secondary Thunderbirds are having a great season so far. Read more: ow.ly/LxjZ50Gqnss
- You can support our athletes and help build community through sports. We chat with Langley Secondary principal about the feeling you get at a home football game.
- Some photos from the pre-game ceremony, where the AA Provincial finalists (finished 2nd in BC) from the 2019 season were honoured:
- Some photos from the October 8 Homecoming game against Argyle:
LSS THUNDERBIRD APPAREL HAS ARRIVED!
- LSS THUNDERBIRDS APPAREL IS AVAILABLE NOW! – check out the attached flyer: LSS Spirit Wear Order Parent copy
- Parents can pay using their school cash online account: https://sd35.schoolcashonline.com/
PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES THIS WEEK!
- It’s that time of year for Parent-Teacher Conferences!
- Because of COVID-19, we are continuing to do this a bit differently this year.
- First of all, we typically book appointments where parents come to the school. This year, parents may have a face-to-face meeting OR they may choose a virtual Teams/online meeting. In-Person appointments are for 10 minutes, while online meetings are for 15 minutes (to allow for technical issues).
- Any parent requesting a face-to-face meeting must wear a mask when entering the school.
- Second, please note the dates and times for appointments.
- The days for these conferences will be Wednesday, October 20 and Thursday, October 21.
- On Wednesday, appointments can be made from 2 pm to 4:30 pm.
- On Thursday, appointments can be made from 2 pm-5 pm, and 5:40 pm-7:30 pm
- You will need to setup an account and then you can book your appointments. Even if you have made an account in the past, you must still register and create a new account, as all accounts are cleared each time. Appointments will be able to be made starting Thursday, October 14 at 8 am, until Tuesday, October 19 at 12:00 pm.
- Here is the link: https://lss.schoolappointments.com/admin/
- These days are a fantastic opportunity for parents/guardians to speak directly with your student’s teachers around learning, progress, and achievement. It is a time for LSS staff and parents to connect, celebrate our student’s successes, and acknowledge the challenges that may lie ahead.
- We look forward to connecting with as many parents/guardians as possible, so please take a moment to sign up for an appointment!
LSS BREAKFAST CLUB AVAILABLE TO ALL STUDENTS!
- Don’t forget that Breakfast Club runs daily from 8:00-8:45! Our Leadership & AVID student volunteers are ready to help get you some delicious, nutritious, and free breakfast!! Remember that it does not matter what the reason is, whether you woke up late or were in too much of a hurry to eat breakfast, we want to make sure that you start your day off right with some healthy breakfast options, so you can be ready to learn! Make sure you swing by the cafeteria tomorrow morning for something to eat before heading to class!!
REMINDER: PAC FOR NEXT YEAR?!
- If you are interested in being on the PAC Executive for the 2022/23 school year, please see the following poster: LSSPAC
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
- Lunch Intramurals have begun, thanks to the outstanding work of Ms. Florko’s PHE Leadership class! Here, we have a staff team playing against a student team, and Mr. Nicol and Mr. Oh giving their thumbs up to a strong performance by both teams!
- The LSS Soccer team, with Mr. Labine in the photo, getting ready for their next match!
- Mr. McCarthy, demonstrating the finer details of what an auto mechanic needs to know!
- One of the two artists who collaborated on the Thunderbird logo and mural design, and the primary artist of the Coast Salish Sun and Moon, Brandon Gabriel, from the Kwantlen nation came by to visit LSS last week. This was the first time he was able to see his vision come to life on the gym floor and walls, as well as on the dozens of other places at LSS where the Thunderbird now resides! “hay ce:p q̓ə” (thank you) Brandon!
FROM THE DISTRICT AND IN THE COMMUNITY
- CORRECTION: Programs of Choice – Deadline to register is Monday, October 18th
- Langley School District offers a rich diversity of programs that are designed to meet the specific needs and interests of students. Programs include Fine Arts, French Immersion, Fundamental, Langley Environmental Awareness Program (outdoor education), Montessori, U-Connect, and Career Education Programs (secondary). The registration deadline is October 18, 2021. For more information and instructions to register your child, visit our District website here and review our FAQ choice programs resource here.
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Be sure to see the Calendar of upcoming events in “The Week Ahead” pdf, attached below and also attached to the body of the email sent out weekly to parents: The Week Ahead – October 18 to October 22 – Parent