April 15, 2018
- NEW! Grad Stage Comments – It is time to start thinking about what your Grad wants said as she/he crosses the stage! If you are in a 2nd Semester English 12 or Comm 12 class, you will be doing this exercise in class. If you are NOT, then please go to the link below https://lss.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/news/ – Under “News” for April 6, 2018, please click on the link there to read more about the criteria, and to write your Grad Stage Comment!
- NEW! BC Tech Scholarships – For grade 12 graduates at your school. The spirit of the scholarship award is to support students who are passionate about tech and plan to pursue a career in the field. High level details are as follows:
- Up to 3 x $2,500 to Grade 12 graduates
- Students must be admitted into a BC-based institution continuing studies in the fall in a minimum 2-year technical program
- Deadline to apply is 11:59PM Friday May 4. Please see the attachment for more details: BC Tech Scholarship – Printable One-pager
- DUE THIS WEEK! Scholarship Opportunity: Grade 12 students: The Rotary Club of Langley Scholarship Application form is now available. Please pick up the form from Counselling. Scholarship deadline is April 21st – see one of the Counsellors if you have questions.
- Scholarship Opportunity – Langley School District Foundation Scholarships are available to all students who meet the criteria are listed on the Foundation website at langleyschooldistrictfoundation.com.
- DUE THIS WEEK! Scholarship Opportunity – Indo-Canadian Business Association of BC: Due to the unusually low number of applicants compared to previous years, we have decided to push the deadline up to April 20, 2018. We will be handing out up to 15 scholarships, each valued at $2000.00. Please see the attached a copy of the cover letter, as well a link to the online fillable PDF application. https://icbabc.com/achievement-awards-application/ Cover Letter Awards 2018 –
- THIS WEEK! KPU Access Program: There are still spaces available in the Access Program for People with Disabilities program on the Langley campus at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU). Please refer to the attached flyer for the additional details. The session will be held at the Langley KPU Campus on April 19-2018 @ 5:30 p.m. in classroom 1535. Langley Information Session Apr 2018
- REMINDERS: Dry Grad Update: Dry Grad is in full swing as the end of the year gets closer… Please see below for the latest information and fundraisers!
- Dry Grad Night Info Flyer (click on the following link): 2018 dry grad night INFO
- DUE THIS WEEK! 2018 Hanging Baskets Fundraiser (click on the following link): 2018 Hanging basket fundraiser – Hanging basket fundraiser money and order forms are due in no later then Wednesday April 18!
- 2018 Poker Night Fundraiser (click on the following link): 2018 Poker night fundraiser
- Bottle Depot Fundraiser (ongoing): Please take bottles to the recycling depot on Industrial Ave behind Save on Foods and mention that you would like to donate the proceeds to LSS Dry Grad (account # 750)
THIS WEEK! KWANTLEN XCEL PROGRAM – FOR CURRENT GRADE 11 STUDENTS
- The Kwantlen XCEL program is an opportunity for students to get 4 credits of post-secondary schooling while in grade 12, free of charge! The District is funding 30 spaces for students in the 2018/19 school year. The District already hosted an evening event this past Thursday. The school will also host a lunch-time meeting for students on Tuesday, April 17 in Room 128, where we will hand out applications to students, as well as review the criteria and answer questions. Please contact the main office if you have any questions.
THIS WEEK! PIPING AND PLUMBING OPEN HOUSE
- Just a friendly reminder that Monday, April 16th is the Piping and Plumbing Open House (please see the attached flyer). This is a hands-on event for students to get a feel for the program and try different things. If you have a student who is interested in attending, please see Mr. Palichuk or Mr. Lalley. PipingPlumbing Info_OpenHouse
BATTLE OF THE STUDENTS!
- Come on out at lunch from Tuesday to Thursday in the Main Gym and watch two different groups of students battle it out for prizes!
LEARNING COMMONS/LIBRARY CONTEST!
- It Happened in April: Come to the library to check out the new display – It Happened in April. This display is attached to a contest! Just view the display, fill in a contest form that indicates which of the facts you find most interesting and why, and you will be entered into a draw for a $15 Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory gift card. The winning ballot will be drawn on April 30th. One entry per person, please.
REMINDER: TWO NEW TRIP OPPORTUNITIES AT LSS!
- 2019 Disneyland Trip: See Ms. Thorpe for more information.
- Costa Rica Service Trip: Interested current Grade 10 and 11 students should see Mr. Gill in Room 151 for additional information.
- Now that we are back from Spring Break, that can only mean one thing – Summer is not far away! That also means Langley’s Summer Session is not far away, and registration actually starts online and in-person Monday, April 9th. Attached is a digital copy of this year’s Secondary brochure. SS 2018 Secondary Brochure. The brochures and other basic information are also available on the district Summer Session site:http://sd35summersession.ca/
- Secondary Changes for 2018
- Along with the previous year’s class options, we are offering a couple of new options and changes this year
- Language Skill Builder classes – 3 week, non-credit skill building classes
- French Immersion at BSS – for current French Immersion students in grade 7 & 8 to help them improve their skills
- ELL 8/9/10 at WGSS – for English Language Learners who could use some extra support
- Academic Remedial – Humanities 8 & 9
- You will notice on the brochure that we are not offering a separate EN8/9 and SS8/9 this year. Instead if a student needs credit for English, Social Studies or both at the grade 8 & 9 level, they will be taking the Humanities 8 or 9, a single course that will focus more on skill building (not just re-teaching the content) to help them succeed next year with you. In talking with a few other districts that have taken this approach they have found greater interest and success for students, especially at the grade 8/9 levels which don’t impact students transcripts for future years.
- Along with the previous year’s class options, we are offering a couple of new options and changes this year
- Need More info? See the attached brochure above!
THINKING OF BECOMING A POLICE OFFICER?
- 2018 Student Police Academy applications deadline closes on May 1st. For those who are not aware, the NWPD (New Westminster) Student Police Academy is a two week “day in the life” of a municipal police officer to those students in grade 11 or 12 who are interested in law enforcement. Unlike other Student Academies, we are not limited to geographic restrictions for applicants and have taken youth from Chilliwack to Squamish. If you have a youth who you know is interested in a career in policing please refer them to our website for an application. Please see the attachment for more information: SPA 2018
BC YOUTH WEEK IN LANGLEY CITY!
- BC Youth Week 2018 (May 1-7) is quickly approaching, and at Langley City, we are getting amped up for some awesome youth events!!
- Our 3 vs 3 Basketball tournament and Talent Showcase are both pre-registered events and we are in need of more participants – forms are attached and registration is due next Saturday, April 21st.
- We have some great prizes up for grabs!! To name a few…
- Members of the 3 vs 3 basketball tournament winning team will each receive a free year membership to Timms Community Centre(each membership is worth $265!).
- All performers at the Youth Talent Showcase will be entered a draw to win a $100 Famous Players gift card.
- There will be free Booster Juice cards to giveaway at the Minute to Win it Pizza Party Night. Plus, lots of other fun free activities and prizes at all our events!
- Please see the attached jpeg and pdf version of the event information, as well as the Basketball and Talent Showcase Registration Forms for your convenience: 2018 – Event – Youth Week 2018 Events – full page detailed events – Talent Showcase Registration – 3 on 3 Team Registration
ADDITIONAL STUDY HELP FROM EXAMBANK
- “PRACTICE MAKES PROGRESS! – With spring break behind us, it’s time to begin the final academic push to improve as much as possible before the end of the school year. Spring is an ideal time to solidify comprehension of all the curriculum topics we’ve learned so far. Ideally, each and every student should have a clear picture of what they know well, and what they need to work on. This is where ExamBank shines – a practice test or two will shed some light on where to concentrate. Feedback is immediate, and valuable detailed explanations accompany most questions. Take a proactive approach to your studies with these quick, targeted mini practice tests! It’s never too early or too late to visit ExamBank for some focused study time: a mini review session or two each week will certainly have a positive impact on your final grades, especially if you begin today!
- Here are the current details for your bc.exambank.comaccount:
- Username: langley
- Exam Password: shifted
- Total logins remaining as of April 11, 2018: 648
- School which will show up on the top score list: Langley Secondary
- If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this message or email our customer service department directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for your continued support of the BC ExamBank Project! There’s always something new at ExamBank.”
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
Throughout the school year, we will have important information on students clubs and teams in this section of the Scoop! If you want to meet new people and have fun while learning something new, then read below… and join an LSS club or team!
- Makerspace Club: Now meets on Mondays, at lunchtime, in the Makerspace room (across from Woodwork). Please see Mr. Powell for any questions.
- Track & Field: Practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15pm at the Track.
- Badminton: Starting this week, the Juniors (Grades 9 and 10) will practice Wednesday after school and the Seniors (Grades 11 and 12) will practice on Thursdays. Practices will be in the Big Gym.
- LSS Golf Team: Anyone interested in being on the Langley Saints golf team which is open to both boys and girls, please see Mrs Taylor.
- Boys Rugby: Practices already started – see Mr. Howlett for more information re: after school practices next week!
- LSS Book Club: Attention all book lovers. On Thursdays, the LSS Book Club meets in Room 220 at lunchtime to discuss new books we’re reading, talk about our love of literature and challenge each other to try new books. Feel free to join us!
- LSS Debate and Model UN Club: Join us every Friday at lunchtime in Room 220. Members will learn how to debate, examine current events, and prepare for upcoming MUN conferences and debate tournaments. New members are always welcome.
- Geeky Hang Out Days: Please join Ms. Hajdecki for Geeky Hang Out Days in Room 123!
- Magic the Gathering Mondays
- Wii U Wednesdays
- Tabletop Thursdays
- Featured Anime Fridays
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 145. (Ms. Lee’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- Youth Unlimited Hangar 17: Wednesday’s at the Langley Airport! Creative life & drop in (free art program and drop-in centre) from 3:30-5:30pm. Community meal (free supper!) from 5:30-6:30pm. Spiritual life (a safe space to discuss life, faith and deeper questions) from 6:30-7:30pm. Shuttle bus pick-up at Langley Secondary at 3:25pm. Shuttle rides home are offered at 6:30pm and 7:45pm (waivers are required and are available in the school office!). For more information: 604-557-6507 or email@example.com
- GSA Alliance: The LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance will be meeting on Tuesdays at lunchtime in the Drama Room. All students are welcome to attend!
- LSS Dance Team: Would you like to try out for the LSS Dance Team and perform jazz and hip hop? The Dance Team practices at lunchtime twice a week and performs at various events! All dance levels are welcome! Practices take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at lunch in the new Dance Studio.
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club meetings are on Wednesdays at lunch in Room 213 with Ms. Wood and Ms. Sewell.
FROM THE DISTRICT
- NEW! I.D.E.A. Summit – I.D.E.A. Summit – May 8, 2018 – See young entrepreneurs in action as they present IDEAS • DESIGNS • ENTREPRENEURSHIP • ALTRUISM on Tuesday, May 8th from 9am – 3:30pm at the Langley Events Centre. Thanks to innovative leadership, Langley School District educators are starting to embrace the teaching of entrepreneurship in all its forms. Discussions are occurring on how to encourage curiosity and vibrancy; how to stress the importance of tough-minded optimism, stamina and taking risks; and how to discover the need for experimentation, commitment and yes, even failure. At the I.D.E.A. SUMMIT students are taking leaps of faith and attacking problems from different angles, with eyes and mind open to every possibility. They are breaking out of the usual box of ideas and turning brainstorms from familiar to fantastic. Hope to see you there!
- Langley Fundamental Presents Beauty and the Beast! Please see the attached for more information: Fundamental – Beauty and the Beast
- THIS WEEK! Looking for Volunteer Opportunities in YOUR School Community? If so, consider attending the “Volunteer Meet and Greet” hosted by HD Stafford Middle School on Saturday, April 21 at 11 am. Please see the attached poster for more information: April Meet Greet-Volunteer Poster
- Vanguard Car Show! May 12th at Vanguard Secondary. Please see the attached poster for more details: Vanguard Car Show
- Poppy Car Show! The 31st annual Poppy Car show will be taking place May 6, 2018. Please see the attached brochure and registration form for more information: 2018 Poppy Car Show Poster (Letter Size) – 2018 Pre Registration Form (no number)
- GET YOUR HANDS ON SCIENCE! – We would like to extend an invitation to all Langley school district families to join us for Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s (KPU) sixth annual KPU Science Rendezvous (SR) festival on Saturday, May 12! We open the doors to our Langley campus and invite the public in to experience a STEAM-inspired day full of activities! KPU Science Rendezvous has become the largest science celebration in the Fraser Valley with more than 2,000 attendees last year. As part of Science Odyssey and Science Rendezvous nationally, KPU’s Langley will transform into a spectacular science festival where the public will get a chance to participate in hands-on experiments, chemistry magic shows, music, art, design, interactive science labs, dancing fire, high-tech nursing demos, brewery lab tours, and much, MUCH more! There will also be free t-shirts for the first 100 kids as well as other giveaways, contests, and goodies. For full event details and registration, visit: www.kpu.ca/sr!
- YOUTH HUB Calendar: 1 Langley Youth Hub Calendar – April 2018
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
Apr. 16: Report Card Prep 1/2 Day Early Dismissal, Students Dismissed at 11:20 am
Apr. 16: Piping and Plumbing Open House, 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Apr. 16: PAC Meeting, Rm 128, 7pm
Apr. 17: Special Presentation on “Ending Gang Life,” 9:40 am
Apr. 18: Career Life Education Field Trip, Tradex Abbotsford, All Day
Apr. 20 & 21: Young Women in Harmony Workshop
Apr. 26: Pep Rally! Main Gym, in the morning
Apr. 27: Semester 2, Term 1 Report Cards Distributed and Published
May 4: Professional Development Day, Students NOT in Session
May 10: Collaboration Early Dismissal, Students Dismissed at 1:30 pm
May 11: ICBC Presentation, Kevin Brooks
May 16: District Aboriginal Achievement Awards, Church in the Valley, 5 pm
May 22: PAC Meeting and AGM, Rm 128, 7pm
June 20: Last day of regular classes
June 21: I Day – Teachers invite students who still have a chance of passing a course
June 21: LSS Grad Ceremony, CLA
June 22: LSS Grad Dinner and Dance, Coast Hotel
June 27: LSS Awards Night