April 20, 2019
- GRAD LIST ASSEMBLY – This past week, LSS admin met with Grade 12 students to discuss the details for making it on to the Graduation List (for crossing the stage), as well as details for the weeks coming up to Grad. Please see the attachment to ensure you have all of the details needed!
- THIS WEEK! UFV EVENTS! A friendly reminder about the exciting design events happening this month at UFV!
- ROOTS // Open House and Info Night
- Tuesday April 16, 2019
- 3:30 – 8:30 pm
- UFV Mission Campus, Heritage Park Centre
- 33700 Prentis Ave | Room D227
6:30 – 8:30 pm
Find out about UFV’s graphic design programs.
Bring your portfolio and get feedback.
- FOUND // Graphic + Digital Design Grad Show
- Wednesday April 24, 2019
- 4:30 – 7:30 pm
- Highstreet – M210 (beside Marshalls)
3122 Mt Lehman Rd, Abbotsford BC
- Featuring an exceptional portfolio exhibition and celebration of our grads.
- REMINDER! MESSAGE FROM DRY GRAD:
- “Greetings from the Dry Grad Committee:
- Thank you to everyone who has been supporting the dry grad so far. Now that we are into the second semester, the crunch is on, and we couldn’t do it without you. To that end, there are a few dates to pencil in on your calendar.
- A final date for the Poker Night fundraiser has been set. It will be on May 4th at the Masonic Hall on Fraser Hwy. It’s going to be a great night! There will be a planning meeting on Thursday April 11th at 7pm in Rm 128 at LSS if you would like to be involved.
- June 9: PRESTON DRIVE IT EVENT. Preston will bring a selection of their vehicles and will give us $25 for every test drive (and just around the parking lot counts). Even “N” drivers can participate. We are hoping to make a whole event out of this. Car Wash, BBQ etc.
- Make sure to follow our Facebook page “LSS Dry Grad 2019” to stay up to date with both these events
- “We now have an account open at Willowbrook recycling (19641 60 Ave.). Bring in your cans and bottles and just tell them you’d like to credit the LSS Dry Grad 2019 account #606.”
- If you ever shop at M and M Meats be sure to mention LSS Dry Grad. We will get a percentage of the sale to put towards the Dry Grad event. Every little bit helps!”
- REMINDER! Grad Council meets every Tuesday at lunch in the small gym – Grade 12s are invited to impact their grad year, and make it the best grad year ever! See Mrs. Thornburn if you have any questions!
REMINDER: PARENT-GRAD VOLUNTEERS
- Part 1: Every year, parents of graduating students bring some type of “finger food” to the Reception, held immediately after the Graduation ceremony on Friday, June 14. This is a long-standing LSS tradition, and we hope to continue it this year! Examples of “finger foods” could include appetizers, dips, or desserts. Please drop off food when you first arrive.
- Part 2: The second part of this tradition is asking for volunteer parents of students in grades 9-11 to collect the food and organize it for the Reception. If you are able to volunteer, this includes arriving at CLA by about 5:45 pm, collecting food from Grad parents, and then organizing and staying until about 10 pm (or any part of the evening at all – early or late shift). Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org – we are looking for anywhere from 6 to 8 parent volunteers… the more the merrier, I say!
LSS END OF YEAR DATES IN JUNE
- Please see the calendar dates below for more detailed information about the end of year calendar in June.
GRADE 11 GRAD TRANSITIONS ARE DUE!
- For those Grade 11 students looking for assistance in completing their Grad Trans, there will be a “Grade 11 Graduation Transitions Help Session” taking place in Room 128 for any students who have not yet completed their GT parts one OR two. A flex sign-up sheet will be posted outside Room 128 for both Tuesday, April 23 and Tuesday, April 30. All Grade 11 students are expected to complete their Grad Trans. assignments BY May 1! See below for more details, posters courtesy of Ms. Sewell!
THIS WEEK! SPRING PEP RALLY!
- Just wanted to pass on the heads up to MARK YOUR CALENDERS for our SPRING PEP RALLY that will be happening on WEDNESDAY April 24th starting at 1:30 at the STADIUM. We want to invite all Staff and Students to join us outside in the beautiful spring air to cheer on your Saints Rugby Teams! Our Junior Boys Rugby Team will be playing a game against the Redhawks from DW Poppy starting at 1:45 pm.
SAVE THE DATE FOR AN EVENING OF DANCE!
- The LSS Dance Program’s Evening of Dance will take place on Thursday, June 6th at 7pm in the small gym. Tickets are $5.00 and can be purchased at the door.
REMINDER: SUMMER SESSION IN LANGLEY – REGISTRATION HAS OPENED!
- Summer Session 2019 registration is now open for students currently enrolled in the Langley School District! There are a variety of Secondary classes available at either Brookswood or Walnut Grove Secondary once again this year starting the beginning of July. Registration priority is given to students currently registered in the Langley School District based on space and staff availability but it will be opened up to out of districts at the beginning of May. Since Summer Session has become a very popular option over the last few years please check it out while space is still available if you are interested. For more information and to find out how to register go to sd35summersession.ca
- Or click on the link for the brochure: SS 2019 Secondary Brochure – April 12 2019
LSS 110th ANNIVERSARY – LAST CHANCE TO WALK HALLS OF LSS!
- 110th Langley Secondary School Anniversary – Saturday, June 8th at LSS – SAVE THE DATE!!!
- MORE DETAILS ADDED – Walk the hallowed halls of the SAINTS for the last time, before most of the original building is torn down this summer to make way for the New Building! All students, teachers, administrators and support staff are welcome to attend the 110th Anniversary of Langley High School and Langley Secondary School. Be there to connect with old friends, teachers, office staff, principals, vice-principals, custodians, coaches, old girlfriends, old boyfriends, and so on. Eleven decades of memories. Don’t miss it! SATURDAY, JUNE 8. See below for more details of the day, including the VIP reception right after, and the opportunity to create your own legacy by being part of the LSS 110th Legacy Scholarship fund!
- Here is the NEW Facebook page link the 110th Anniversary Event:https://www.facebook.com/events/2278618472356738/
- To see the full package (above) in PDF, please click the following: packages
REMINDER! NEW BUILD UPDATE
- Just a reminder to all that the New Build is now being used by Langley Education Centre (LEC) until the end of June, and that classes are in session all day, including into the afternoon and evening. Please be cognizant and respectful of this fact, and do not interrupt classes in session. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
- THIS WEEK: Job Fair at the Cloverdale Agriplex from Thursday, April 26, from 1 pm to 6 pm – Flyer
REMINDER! PAC PIZZA FUNDRAISER!
- Langley Secondary PAC is selling Panago Certificates to raise funds to support school initiatives.
- For each $12 Panago certificate you buy, you can get ANY MEDIUM PIZZA at ANY PANAGO LOCATION. More than one certificate can be used at one time, making these certificates ideal for birthday parties, team parties, Friday night hangouts, etc… The only restriction is that the certificate should be used within 90 days of the date stamped on the certificate.
- There are 50 certificates available each month. Certificates will be distributed “first come, first served” based on when payment is received. You will receive an email to confirm that your payment has been received and when your certificates will be delivered to the school office.
- Orders can be placed through this link: LSS Panago Pizza Certificate Order Form
- If you have any questions, please contact Christine Hylands at email@example.com or at (604) 514-8373. Thank you in advance for your support!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
- Clubs and teams are an important part of life at LSS. Getting involved is one of the ingredients to a successful school year… So, take a moment to see what your student what might be interested in, and encourage him/her to go these rooms below to find out more!
- Senior Boys Open Gym: Every Tuesday after schoolin the Small Gym.
- The LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) will be meeting at lunch time in Ms. Lee’s room, 218. This is a safe space for students to hang out and have open discussion. Anyone is welcome to attend!
- Manga Club: Are you interested in Manga, anime of Japanese-style art? The Manga Club will be meeting Wednesdays after school in the Library.
- Dance Club! Tuesdays at Lunch in the Dance Studio. All Students Welcome. Hip Hop, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary and Zumba.
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 145. (Ms. Brown’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- WEX (Work Experience) Wednesday Flex: Students who are registered or interested in Work Experience, please join us on Wednesdays during Flex Block in Room 136.
- Grad Council meets every Tuesday at lunch in the small gym – Grade 12s are invited to impact their grad year, and make it the best grad year ever! See Mrs. Thornburn if you have ay questions!
- LSS Debate and Model UN Club: Join us every Thursday at lunchtime in Room 220. Members will learn how to debate, examine current events, and prepare for upcoming MUN conferences and debate tournaments. New members are always welcome.
- Tabletop Thursdays with Mr. Nicol in Room 111 Thursdays at lunch and after school – come and find out what different tabletop games and activities are being offered!
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club runs Wednesdays at lunch in Room 213.
FROM THE LANGLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- I.D.E.A. Summit – May 8, 2019
- See young entrepreneurs in action as they present IDEAS • DESIGNS • ENTREPRENEURSHIP • ALTURISM on Wednesday, May 8th from 9:15am – 3:30pm at the Langley Events Centre (Building B). Thanks to innovative leadership, Langley School District educators are embracing the teaching of entrepreneurship in all its forms. Discussions are occurring on how to encourage curiosity and vibrancy, how to stress the importance of tough-minded optimism, stamina and taking risks; and how to discover the need for experimentation, commitment and yes, even failure. At the I.D.E.A. SUMMIT students are taking leaps of faith and attacking problems from different angles, with eyes and minds open to every possibility.
- An addition to this year’s I.D.E.A. Summit is the culmination of our IDEA X Challenge which has involved several teams of students from various secondary schools who have been designing innovative solutions to the global issue of single use plastics since January. These students will showcase their solutions during the morning and then present their solutions to expert judges and audience members.
- Prizes and scholarships will be awarded in several different categories. It’s sure to be an exciting, inspiring day for all! The event is open to the public along with our local community and business partners – we hope to see you there!
- Langley City Hosts Youth Week! As you may know, Youth Week 2019 is right around the corner! BC Youth Week (May 1st-May 7th) is celebrated annually across the province to highlight the accomplishments and diversity of youth through a variety of events. It is held with the purpose of empowering youth, and fostering connections between young people and their community.
- In the interest of promoting the broad range of talents showcased by the youth in our community, this year we will be running 8 events including: two 3 vs 3 basketball tournaments, a youth glow dance party, a teen skate, a Bob Ross paint night, a geocache treasure hunt, and more.
- Please note in the upcoming Blog that our Basketball tournaments on Monday, May 6th & Tuesday, May 7th are now FREE to register!
- In celebration of May 7th – Child and Youth Mental Health Day, there will be a collaboration with the Surrey/White Rock/Delta Parent in Residence, Nicole Taylor, and her Community to host a spectacular event with Dr. Vanessa Lapointe, R. Psych. She will be presenting to in person on “When Big Feelings Make Life Hard: Supporting our kids towards emotional health”
- Sometimes big feelings, including anger and anxiety, can become overwhelming for children who experience them frequently. This kind of experience ongoing can be disruptive and unsettling. We will explore where these feelings come from, and what parents can do to support children towards emotional self-regulation and resiliency. This session will include a Q&A.
- Details are as follows (poster attached):
- Date: May 7th
- Event: Dr. Vanessa Lapointe – Presenter
- Time: 6:30 – 8:30 pm (registration at 6:00 pm)
- Location: Peace Portal Church – 15128 27b Ave, Surrey, BC V4P 1P2
- You can register online through Eventbrite. Please note as we are collaborating with another community, seating will be limited. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dr-vanessa-lapointe-r-psych-presents-to-us-in-person-on-when-big-feelings-make-life-hard-supporting-tickets-58665876215
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
Apr. 22 – Easter Monday, School CLOSED
Apr. 24 – AVID Filed Trip to Victoria
Apr. 25 – ISP Field Trip to Abbotsford Bloom Festival
Apr. 26 – Student Voice Field Trip to Vancouver
Apr. 26 – Semester Two, Term One Report cards Issued
Apr. 29-30 – ICBC Presentations in the Library
May 1 – Screenagers viewing in the Small Gym
May 2 – Fire Drill, in the a.m.
May 3 – District Professional Development Day; Students NOT in Session
May 7 & 8 – IDEA Summit at the Langley Events Centre
May 7 – BC Youth Week!
May 8 – I.D.E.A. Summit – Langley Events Centre
May 9 – Collaboration Afternoon, Students Dismissed at 1:30 pm
May 27 – PAC AGM and Regular Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
June 8 – LSS 110th Anniversary Event, at LSS, times TBD
June 14 – LSS Graduation Ceremony, CLA, 7 pm
June 19 – Last Day of Regular Classes
June 20 – I Day
June 21-27 – Provincial Numeracy Assessment, 2 sittings per day (Schedule in June)
June 21 – LSS Graduation Banquet, Coast Hotel and Convention Centre, 6:30 pm
June 24 – English 12 Provincial Exam, Small Gym, 8:30 am
June 26 – Communications 12 Provincial Exam, Small Gym, 8:30 am
June 26 – LSS Awards Ceremony, at CLA, Time TBA