December 13, 2020
The District has not yet named who the new administrator will be at LSS, taking over for Mr. Palichuk; we now hope to be able to announce this to you in the first Scoop of the New Year, on January 4, 2021.
- Grads of 2019/20 – Graduation Certificates from the Ministry of Education are now available in the Main Office for pick up.
- 2019/20 Yearbooks are also available. Please see Ms. Turpin or Mr. Tesan in Rooms A62 and/or A64.
- REMINDER: Grad 2021 Blood Drive
- Half of all Canadians will either need blood or know someone who will need blood at some point in their lives. Yet only four percent of us donate. The grads of 2021 are organizing a blood drive for students and family members over the age of 17. We are partnering up with the senior class at Brookswood Secondary and making this drive a competition to see who can rake in the most donors. If you would like to join the elite four percent please donate to our drive.
- Here’s how:
- Go to https://www.blood.ca/en
- Create an account!
- Go to the dashboard on your account and join our Partners For Life team using the PFL ID LANG0091491 in order for your donation to be tracked under Langley Secondary. (this can’t be done on the app)
- Take the eligibility quiz to make sure your eligible to donate. https://myaccount.blood.ca/en/eligibility-quiz
- Book an appointment and donate!
- Visit our Instagram page for more information! https://www.instagram.com/studentblooddrive/
- REMINDER: GRAD PHOTO WEEK! – For grade 12s, Grad Portrait Week will be February 22-27, 2021 – Be sure to “Save the Date!”
- Do you know a student who is interested in Military and Law Enforcement ?
- Meet the Masters from the fields of Military and Law Enforcement who will be sharing the different aspects of their work, qualifications to enter their field and information about their own career journey. There will be a Q & A period after each speaker. Registration required – please visit careered.sd35.bc.ca to register! Presenters include members of the Canadian Armed Forces and Law Enforcement. On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 fro 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm. Please see the attached poster: Career Spotlight Military and Law Enforcement
- Attention all grade 10, 11 & 12 students: Looking for something to do on Spring Break? The Langley Learning Farm Crew has a spot for you! Across the street from LSS, the Derek Doubleday Arboretum can be your classroom for 80 hours of volunteering—earn 50 during spring break (9am-2:15, M-F). Build a farm, literally watch your effort come to life by seeing plants grow and harvesting the fruit plus leave a legacy for Langley! Why not earn a grade 12 course credit through Work and Volunteer Experience?! Register today with Mrs. Blessing. See Ms. Kiers for details. This is a fantastic opportunity! (See below for more information about the course!)
FOCUS ON ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES 11/12
- A new course this year at LSS is the Environmental Sciences course, taught by Mr. Nicol. This course coincided with the start-up of the Langley Learning Farm, west of the airport on the lands at the Derek Doubleday Arboretum. This is a course that combines the knowledge and theory of ecosystems and the practicality and hands-on nature of farming and agriculture. In order to take advantage of our proximity to the Learning Farm, we have made this a year-long course; this allows the students to experience the different learning around a farm over all four seasons. See below to learn more about the latest projects this class has been up to!
- This past week the students were trying their hand at some invasive species removal.
- The week before, the students were taking multiple measurements to determine the health of the stream near the learning farm (measuring pH, oxygen levels, turbidity and invertebrates leaving nearby).
- For most of November the environmental science students have been working on construction of garden boxes to be used at both the learning farm and one that was delivered to Lynn Fripps Elementary .
CHRISTMAS SPIRIT WEEK HAS BEGUN AT LSS!
- Merry and Bright 💙💛💚❤️ A few photos from colour day on Thursday! With special appearance from Ms. Wood and our newest member of the LSS family!
- Friday was Flannel & Toque Day for our grade 8-11s, and Formal Friday for our Grade 12s! Both groups were also welcomed to take photos with Santa! Too bad that Mr. Moino wasn’t sure which day to acknowledge… so he tried to represent for both, at the bottom!
REMINDER: SCHOOL PHOTOS – ORDER ONLINE
- School photos are available to view and order online. Please find them at http://labs.artona.com/photoday
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
DISTRICT & COMMUNITY NEWS
- Information About School Status During Inclement Weather
- Snow closures and power outages are an annual occurrence in Langley School District. So, where do you go to get information about the status of schools during periods of inclement weather? If you are able to access the internet via computer or smartphone, current information about Langley schools can be accessed on all school websites or www.sd35.bc.ca. Updates are also posted to Twitter @LangleySchools and Facebook at www.facebook.com/langleyschooldistrict. If you don’t have internet connectivity but your phone is working, call a relative or friend in an area that has not been affected by the storm and ask them to check the district website for you. Local radio stations are also informed of school status in Langley. Tune in to CKWX 1130AM, CKNW 980AM, Country Radio 107.1FM, Pulse 107.7 or CBC 690AM or 88.1FM for updates.
- Please note that Langley District schools are all considered ‘open’ until a decision to close is required. Decisions on school closures are usually made by 6:30am. As always, it is a parent’s decision whether to send their child to school based on safety and individual circumstances. If you feel it is unsafe for you or your child to travel to or attend an open school for any reason, please keep your child home and report an absence to the school.
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Dec 18 – Quarter 2 Midterm Marks Issued
- Dec 18 – Last Day of Classes before Winter/Christmas Break
- Jan 5 – First Day Back after Winter/Christmas Break
- Jan 5 – Quarter 2 Classes “Flip”: A.M. classes become P.M. classes/ Vice versa
- Jan 6 – 1 Hour Early Dismissal
- Jan 25 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Feb 22 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Feb 22-27 – Grad Portrait Week
- Apr 19 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- May 17 – PAC Meeting and AGM, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- June 16 – LSS Grad Ceremony, Tentatively Booked at CLA, 7 pm
- June 29 – Final Report Cards Issued