December 15, 2019
LSS STAFF RETIREMENTS
- Congratulations to two soon-to-be LSS retirees:
- Ms. Dicken, one of our amazing SEAs from the Foundations room, will be retiring at the end of December 2019. We have hired Mr. Carter Wilson in the position until the end of the school year.
- We will also be losing one of our indispensable Counsellors, Ms. Stewart-Lee, who will be retiring January 31, 2020. We are still working on finding solutions for the remainder of this year.
- LSS will miss them both greatly. We thank them for their tireless dedication to our school and students, and we wish them the very best in their retirement!
- KPU ACCEPTANCE UPDATE
- Conditional offers for Open Intake programs for Fall 2020 have been sent out and students have been notified by email. If your students have any questions, they can email email@example.com and our team will be happy to assist them.
- For Fall 2020 Limited Intake programs, conditional offers will be mailed in late February or early March. All Limited Intake applications and supporting documentation must be received by KPU by the application deadline of March 1, 2020.
- Information about Scholarships and Awards will be mailed to your school in mid-January 2020. Please encourage applicants to register for our Entrance Scholarships and Awards Application Workshop, which will be held at KPU Surrey on Tuesday, February 11 from 5:00-6:00pm.
- Finally, we hope you and your students will mark your calendars for the following upcoming events for prospective KPU students:
- Monday, January 27 – KPU Richmond Discovery Day
- Saturday, February 8 – KPU Surrey Open House
- Friday, February 14 – KPU Langley Discovery Day
- Friday, February 21 – Trades Discovery Day at KPU Tech
- Scholarship Info from ScholarTree: With the holiday break approaching, we wanted to share a list of scholarships that are available to students over the break. Holiday Break Scholarships
- Not all awards will apply to all students. For students to get a list customized to them and weekly email reminders of deadlines, they should create a profile on ScholarTree. At the top left, they can use the filter “Applications Open” to only see those scholarships that are currently accepting applications.
- Finally, ScholarTree has partnered with York University to create content to give away 1 free year of tuition. If any of your students are interested in going to York tell them to apply to the contest here: https://scholartree.ca/scholarship/year-of-free-tuition/NIr0gLEGza (this offer is open to students across Canada, not just Ontario students as shown on the ScholarTree page)
- Dry Grad Update
- NEW! The next Dry Grad meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 7 at 7:15 pm.
- February 29 – casino night fundraiser
- There is a Facebook event page for the Dry Grad event. Parents & students are welcome to join at https://www.facebook.com/groups/896435014073566/
- Encorp Recycling – we have an account set up at the ENCORP Recycling.
- IN PERSON drop off of sorted items to the depot at 20137 Industrial Ave, Langley City. Please mention LSS Dry Grad 2020 or account #794 when you drop off your sorted returns.
- EXPRESS DROP OFF to ANY Encorp Recycling location please use phone number 604-790-0291 when checking in at the on-site kiosk. Remember to bring items in a CLEAR bag
- NEW! The next Dry Grad meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 7 at 7:15 pm.
LSS HOLDS AN OUTSTANDING PEP RALLY!
- This past week, the Athletics Department teamed up with the Senior Boys Basketball team and the Leadership class to host our latest Pep Rally! Athletics celebrated the successes of our Fall sports, including Cross-Country making it to Provincials, and the 2nd Place finish in the Province by our Varsity Football team just a few short weeks ago! LSS then hosted the ACSS Totems Senior Boys Basketball team in front of a full gymnasium of cheering and screaming LSS fans! At half-time, the talented LSS Dance Team took to the floor to wow the crowds, and they received loud cheers for their efforts! All in all, it was a superb boost of positive energy for the LSS community in these last weeks before the Christmas/Holiday Break. Thank you to all the students and staff involved in planning this event, and in making it happen in spectacular style!
LSS FUNDRAISES FOR OUR COMMUNITY!
- Me to We: Students have been in the Library Learning Commons area at lunch selling the Rafiki Me to We bracelets (10.00 each and a few for 15.00). Also, our “handmade with essential oils” bath bombs ($5.00 large, 4.00 smaller) are back. The Club will be selling these items up until Tuesday. These items make great stocking stuffers. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Pais-Martins at MPaisMartins@sd35.bc.ca. Thank you for all your support. Proceeds are going to our community Youth Hub organization.
- AVID 12: The AVID Hamper fundraiser continued last week, this time with Krispy Kreme doughnut sales to staff and students. Congratulations to AVID 12 on raising a record-breaking amount of funds! Final numbers will be announced at school on Monday morning.
LSS MAKES LEARNING MORE VISIBLE AND ACTIVE!
- Each week, we will highlight different classes throughout the school that have students being more active, and that help make the students’ learning more visible – one of our three big goals for this school year See below for this week’s highlights:
- Law Trip to the Law Courts – Special guest, District Principal of Instructional Services-George Kozlovic, accompanied our Law 12 classes to the Vancouver Law Courts! Our students had a fun-filled, beautiful day of experiential learning! One of the judges was also interviewed by our students. This judge was none other than the Honourable Judge Lee, husband of our very own Mrs. Stewart-Lee! The students were equal parts surprised and impressed, with Ms. Florko describing there were “gasps all around and almost tears!!”
- The Alliance for Sustainability Club transplanted their seedlings to the vertical plant tower yesterday. Growing in the vertical tower are cucumbers, kale, arugala, bok choy, basil, & dill!
TWO NEW AFTER-SCHOOL CLUBS COMING TO LSS!
- Wellness Wednesdays! If you are looking for something to do after school on Wednesdays, we have a female’s fitness club after school from 3 pm to 4 pm unless noted otherwise! Sign up will be on the fitness room door. No experience required; join us for good company, good music, and good workouts 😅! Starting this Wednesday, December 18.
- The LSS Soccer Club hopes to have the club running by January 2020 in Mr. Labine’s Portable #2 – Fridays after school from 3 pm to 4:30 pm.
LSS LEADERSHIP KEEPS THE SCHOOL ENGAGED RIGHT TO THE BREAK!
- This past week, Leadership students teamed up with staff and classes all around the school to decorate doorways and fill the halls with Christmas spirit! See below for some of the creative and eye-catching designs!
- Next week, “all aboard the Holiday Spirit Train!!” Leadership has a fun festive week of holiday cheer planned for you!! Get your Saints Spirit ready! 🎅🎁⛄️
- Monday: Red, Green & White Day + Snowball Toss (dodgeball) at lunch
- Tuesday: Christmas Character Day + Wrap a Teacher at lunch
- Wednesday: Toque and Flannel Day + Movie at lunch
- Thursday: Christmas Sweater, Hats, and Socks Day + Photos with Santa at lunch
- Friday: PJ Day = Christmas Assembly
REMINDER: LANGLEY EDUCATION CENTRE (LEC) STARTING WINTER SESSION SOON!
- Langley Education Centre is the Langley School District’s multi-generational high school, offering grade 10-12 courses for students from “16 to 60+”. Winter Session classes start on January 6, 2020 and there are still spaces available. If you would like to complete your Adult Graduation, upgrade high school courses before you attend post-secondary, or gain more confidence by taking Literacy courses in English, Math, Social Studies or Computers, check out your options by phoning 604-534-7155 or visiting lecworks4me.ca – or by clicking on the following attachment: LEC – Overview
REMINDER: LSS TUTORING AVAILABLE!
- Starting October 16, LSS Graduate and current UFV student Conner Frey, and Ms. Wood and Ms. Sewell have teamed up to have Leadership students provide a FREE student tutoring service, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays after school! See Ms. Wood or Ms. Sewell in Rooms A210 or A211 to find out more!
REMINDER: PANAGO PIZZA FUNDRAISER
- Langley Secondary PAC is selling Panago Certificates to raise funds to support school initiatives. For each $12 Panago certificate you buy, you can…
- order ANY MEDIUM PIZZA at ANY PANAGO LOCATION, including the GLUTEN FREE option
- use more than one certificate at one time, making these certificates ideal for birthday parties, team parties, Friday night hangouts, etc…
- The only restriction is that the certificate should be used within 90 days of the date stamped on the certificate.
- There are 50 certificates available each month. Certificates will be distributed “first come, first served” based on when payment is received. You will receive an email to confirm that your payment has been received and when your certificates will be delivered to the school office.
- Orders can be placed through this link: LSS Panago Pizza Certificate Order Form. If you have any questions, please contact Christine Hylands at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (604) 514-8373. Thank you in advance for your support!
UBC SCIENCE OPPORTUNITY
- Attached is the information for TRIUMF, UBC, and SFU’s upcoming Spring 2020 Saturday Morning Lectures. SML_Poster_Spring 2020
- As Canada’s national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science, we hope to inspire the next generation’s leaders in physics through our outreach initiatives. This lecture series is free and covers various physics, astronomy, science and technology topics at a level appropriate for high school students and members of the public. We hope to see you there!
- To register, please visit (under “Live Events”): https://www.eventbrite.ca/o/triumfubcsfu-saturday-morning-lecture-series-2741406450
- For more information on this series, please visit: www.triumf.ca/saturday-lectures
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
LSS CLUBS AND ACTIVITIES!
- Writers’ Corner is happening on Wednesdays after school in the library lab. Write and Share your novels and short stories with us. There will be snacks!
- The Langley United Wrestling Team is up and running once again. This Langley team has created provincial and national champions in past years. The Langley United Wrestling team is open to students from all secondary schools. Practices will occur at Langley Secondary School on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 4:30pm and Thursdays at 6:00pm; no experience necessary!
- Join the Alliance for Sustainability Club! – Monday’s at lunch, this alliance will work towards creating a greener school and spreading environmental awareness. Come support the movement and share your ideas. Everyone is welcome! Come to room A202 Monday at lunch! This can also count towards your volunteer hours!
- Athletics and Physical Health and Education – Interested in keeping up-to-date with what is happening in the world of Athletics and Physical Health and Education (PHE) at LSS? Then be sure to follow @langleysaints on Instagram!
- LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) – meetings at lunch every Tuesday in Ms. Lee’s rm. #A112– This is a safe space for students to hang out and have open discussion. Anyone is welcome to attend
- Grad Council: Meeting every Tuesday at lunch in the Small Gym.
- Dance Class: Free open dance class Tuesdays at Lunch in the dance studio. All Students Welcome. Hip Hop, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary and Zumba (Starts Sept 24th).
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club runs Wednesdays at lunch in Room 253 (above old library/office). A great place to share your
- Wii Wednesday: at lunch with Ms.Hajdecki Rm # A183
- Tabletop Thursdays; Thursdays at lunch in Rm # A183 with Ms. Hajdecki
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 184 (Ms. Decambra’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- Model UN Club: the LSS Model United Nations Club is starting. New members are encouraged to join us this Thursdayat lunch in Room A215 (Ms.Cunningham’s).
- Anime Club Friday is in Room #A183 at lunch with Ms.Hajdecki
FROM THE DISTRICT
- Student Success Magazine is out in the Langley AdvanceTimes. There are many Langley staff and students mentioned in the stories. To read more, click on the following link:
- Information About School Status During Inclement Weather
- Snow closures and power outages are an annual occurrence in Langley School District. So where do you go to get information about the status of schools during periods of inclement weather? If you are able to access the internet via computer or smartphone, current information about Langley schools can be accessed on all school websites orwww.sd35.bc.ca. Updates are also posted to Twitter @LangleySchools and Facebook at www.facebook.com/langleyschooldistrict. If you don’t have internet connectivity but your phone is working, call a relative or friend in an area that has not been affected by the storm and ask them to check the district website for you. Local radio stations are also informed of school status in Langley. Tune in to CKWX 1130AM, CKNW 980AM, Country Radio 107.1FM, Pulse 107.7 or CBC 690AM or 88.1FM for updates.
- Please note that Langley District schools are all considered ‘open’ until a decision to close is required. Decisions on school closures are usually made by 6:30am. As always, it is a parent’s decision whether to send their child to school based on safety and individual circumstances. If you feel it is unsafe for you or your child to travel to or attend an open school for any reason, please keep your child home and report an absence to the school.
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Dec 16: AVID Breakfast!
- Dec 16: Foundations Trip to the Movies!
- Dec 16: Music Classes Caroling at LMH!
- Dec 19: FOCUS Breakfast!
- Dec 19: Winter Music Concert, Small Gym, 7 pm
- Dec 20: Last Day of Classes before Christmas/Winter Break
- Dec 21 & 22: Dry Grad Event: Grocery bagging at Otter Co-Op
- Jan 6: First Day of Classes after Christmas/Winter Break
- Jan 16: Evening of Dance, Small Gym, 7 pm
- Jan 20: PAC Meeting, 7 pm
- Feb 20: ReachOut Psychosis Presentation, Large Gym, 9:30 am
- Feb 24: PAC Meeting, 7 pm
- Feb 29: Dry Grad Event: Casino Night Fundraiser
- Apr 7: Ted Swan Presentation, 9:30 am
- Apr 27: PAC Meeting, 7 pm
- May 25: PAC AGM, 7 pm
- June 17: Grad Commencement Ceremony, CLA, 7 pm
- June 19: Grad Dinner & Dance, Coast Hotel, 6:30 pm