December 2, 2018
- Student fee statements will be distributed to students on Monday.
- Langley School District offers School Cash Online as its preferred method of payment for all school fees, including everything from field trips to yearbooks. School Cash Online helps parents and community members pay school-related fees safely, quickly and easily. By using School Cash Online, you help increase efficiency and security at schools by making payments directly into your school’s bank account. This allows teachers and secretaries to focus on helping students, and not counting cash. Plus, you get to stay informed of your child’s activities and needs!
- If you haven’t done so already, please register – a simple task that takes less than two minutes – by visiting https://sd35.schoolcashonline.com You will need your child’s student number, last name, and date of birth to register.
- Thanks in advance!
- NEW! The Grade 12 Scholarship Handbook is Now Out! Please see the attached: Handbook November 2018
- NEW! The Grad Fashion Show is this Thursday, Dec 6th at 7pm. Tickets are $5 for students and $7 for everyone else and are available at the door. Come enjoy our Christmas themed show and enjoy fashions to suit every part of Christmas Day from PJs to casual wear to ugly Christmas sweaters and beautiful formal wear. There might even be a visit from the big guy in red 🎅🏻
There will be Christmas goodies at the concession and a raffle with lots of amazing prizes including Canucks tickets, grad and Christmas related items.NEW! And new this year, a Community Formal Wear Consignment Sale at the Fashion Show. Previous grads will be bringing their dresses to sell to this year’s grads (this is open to sellers and buyers from all schools not just LSS). Some of the gowns will be showcased by the models in the show. All negations will be between the buyer and the seller. We are just happy to be providing the opportunity for them to meet. If you have any questions about the consignment sale, please email Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org”
- NEW! ELF FOR HIRE coming to LSS on December 11 – see Ms. Thornburn for more information!
- REMINDER! The Fairy Godmother Foundation: Helping you get ready for Prom! – The Fairy Godmother Foundation is here to help grade 12 students in Langley high schools, whose families may be facing financial adversity, get ready for Prom. The foundation helps by providing students with a gown or suit, accessories, and even shoes. The program application process is confidential, but space is limited so we need to hear back from interested students ASAP. If you would like to be part of this experience, please contact Mrs. Stewart-Lee, Mr. Lewis, Ms. Kauldher, Ms. Salmon, Ms. Danielle Smith, Mr. Juan SanchezVilla, or Ms. Nicole Kercher. ***The deadline date for referrals is February 1st.
- REMINDER! Student Transcript Service (STS) – Just a reminder that it is essential for all of our grade 12’s to sign up for a Student Transcript Service (STS) account as soon as possible, so that they are able to order transcripts in future, and so they can give permission to postsecondary institutions to view their grades throughout this year.
- For information on how to register for STS, please click on the following website link: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/transcripts-and-certificates/studenttranscripts-services-help/registration
- Or use the following pdf link: Student Transcript Service sign-up instructions
- REMINDER! Student Transcript Service How-to Videos
- Three instructional videos are now available to help students interested in signing up for the Student Transcript Service (STS). These videos cover: Registering for a BCeID and accessing the STS; how to order and/or send a transcript to a post-secondary institution; and how to send a transcript. Please visit the Student Transcript Service Help Videos web page to view the videos.
- REMINDER! Grad Council meets every Tuesday at lunch in the small gym – Grade 12s are invited to impact their grad year, and make it the best grad year ever! See Mrs. Thornburn if you have any questions!
- REMINDER! from Dry Grad:
- Be sure to join the LSS Dry Grad 2019 Facebook page as the best way to stay up-to-date on this year’s Dry Grad event!
- We now have an account open at Willowbrook recycling (19641 60 Ave.). Bring in your cans and bottles and just tell them you’d like to credit the LSS Dry Grad 2019 account #606.
ISP AT CAPILANO SUSPENSION BRIDE!
- LSS had 80 students braving the rainy weather last week to see Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge. By all accounts, the display was beautiful! Tony Biondi from Communication dept at SBO came along with the ISP Department at LSS and took some of these stunning photos:
LSS HOSTS DISTRICT EVENTS THIS PAST WEEK
- This past week, Langley District’s fabulous Youth TRAIN Hair Program students from Aldergrove (ACSS) had an amazingly positive experience leading a Hair Program demonstrations at LSS. The atmosphere was one of curiously and engagement as ACSS students took the time to show LSS students how to create different hairstyles, while also creating awareness of the Youth TRAIN program at ACSS. A huge thank you to the organizers from ACSS and the District!
- LSS also hosted the Third Annual Human Dignity Coalition Youth Forum on November 29. Students from around the District, led by the organizer, Mr. Moorthy from WGSS, told their stories of overcoming challenges, inspiring the audience of more than 80 Langley students and staff. Thanks to the District organizers and to LSS staff who helped to put this powerful event together!
AVID ALWAYS ACTIVE AT LSS!
- Team building in AVID last Wednesday! The goal? Using head/hands/feet, successfully keep the ball moving around the circle without it touching the ground! 💥👏. The takeaways? It’s all about growth mindset, teamwork & communication! 💫. There is always so much laughter with these #AVID humans 💖😂
- How many AVID students does it take to wrap a door? 😂😂. The #AVID elves bringing festive Christmas cheer to the AVID 11 classroom this morning 🎄🎅🎁🌟 Lights, tinsel, and spirit galore 💫💖 Their smiles are everything!! (Courtesy of Ms. Sewell)
LSS STUDENTS AT THE BC SUMMER GAMES!
- Congratulations to the students from LSS who competed at the BC Summer Games in Cowichan this past year! The following students were participants/athletes AND all of them also won medals!
- Isaac Hamilton – Athletics
- Cole Bruhaug – Baseball
- Logan Knight – Baseball
- Kaden Zischka – Baseball
- Jaden Lamothe – Baseball
- Jayden Ring – Baseball
- Tommy Pallazoff – Baseball
- Please Note: (from BC Summer Games Office) “There may be other students in your school who competed at the BC Summer Games whose school name was not submitted to us. If you know of additional students from your school that attend the Games, you could provide this to us and we will update our records.”
REMINDER! PAC PIZZA FUNDRAISER!
- Langley Secondary PAC is selling Panago Certificates to raise funds to support school initiatives.
- For each $12 Panago certificate you buy, you can get ANY MEDIUM PIZZA at ANY PANAGO LOCATION. More than one certificate can be used at one time, making these certificates ideal for birthday parties, team parties, Friday night hangouts, etc… The only restriction is that the certificate should be used within 90 days of the date stamped on the certificate.
- There are 50 certificates available each month. Certificates will be distributed “first come, first served” based on when payment is received. You will receive an email to confirm that your payment has been received and when your certificates will be delivered to the school office.
- Orders can be placed through this link: LSS Panago Pizza Certificate Order Form
- If you have any questions, please contact Christine Hylands at email@example.com or at (604) 514-8373. Thank you in advance for your support!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
- Clubs are starting to kick off at LSS. Getting involved is one of the ingredients to a successful school year… So, take a moment to see what your student what might be interested in, and encourage him/her to go these rooms below to find out more!
- NEW! Starting this week, the LSS Model United Nations Club is signing up for our second conference that takes place in January. New members are encouraged to join us this Thursday at lunch in room 220 (Ms. Cunningham’s). This is the largest high school MUN conference in North America -don’t miss it!
- The LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) will be meeting at lunch time in Ms. Lee’s room, 218. This is a safe space for students to hang out and have open discussion. Anyone is welcome to attend!
- Senior Boys Open Gym: Every Tuesday after school in the Small Gym.
- Manga Club: Are you interested in Manga, anime of Japanese-style art? The Mange Club will be meeting Wednesdays after school in the Library.
- After School Dance Club! The After School Dance Club is starting up again. This class runs every Tuesday from 3-4pm in the dance studio. This is an open class for all students at LSS who would like to participate in a dance class. Come and experience Hip Hop, Jazz, Zumba, Lyrical and Contemporary Dance. Bring a friend and enjoy Dance! Please sign up in the Dance studio. First class will be next Tuesday Oct, 9th.
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 145. (Ms. Lee’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- WEX (Work Experience) Wednesday Flex: Students who are registered or interested in Work Experience, please join us on Wednesdays during Flex Block in Room 136.
- Grad Council meets every Tuesday at lunch in the small gym – Grade 12s are invited to impact their grad year, and make it the best grad year ever! See Mrs. Thornburn if you have ay questions!
- LSS Debate and Model UN Club: Join us every Thursday at lunchtime in Room 220. Members will learn how to debate, examine current events, and prepare for upcoming MUN conferences and debate tournaments. New members are always welcome.
- Tabletop Thursdays with Mr. Nicol in Room 111 Thursdays at lunch and after school – come and find out what different tabletop games and activities are being offered!
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club runs Wednesdays at lunch in Room 213.
FROM THE LANGLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- Christmas Glow epitomizes Yuletide in all its glory. Experience the warmth, brilliance, nostalgia and unprecedented mirth of the season. Running from November 22 to January 19 at Milner Village Garden Centre, CHRISTMAS GLOW is the largest indoor Christmas Festival in Greater Vancouver. The lights glimmer and dance; the Christmas Market transports you back to childhood no matter what your age; and the food and drink available everywhere, lift your spirits and make the evening even greater as you plunk your kids onto the amazing Christmas Train. Everybody walks away with huge smiles and a myriad of memories. And that’s not all! The Langley Fine Arts Senior Choir will be performing on Thursday, December 13 from 5:3O on. Don’t miss this incredible performance. See you there. Proceeds go to the Langley School District Foundation to support student programs. Please see the attached poster:
- Encompass: Please find attached the Pregnant and Parenting Youth Program’s December calendar of events: december 2018
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
Dec. 5 – Lockdown Drill
Dec. 6 – Grad Fashion Show, Small Gym
Nov. 30 – Aboriginal Department Christmas Family Gathering, HD Stafford, 5-8 pm
Dec. 21 – Last Day of Classes before Christmas/Winter Break
Jan. 7 – School Re-Opens
Jan. 14 – Collaboration Afternoon, Students Dismissed at 1:30 pm
Jan. 21 – PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
Feb. 11 – PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
Apr. 15 – PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
May 27 – PAC AGM and Regular Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
June 14 – LSS Graduation Ceremony, CLA, 7 pm
June 21 – LSS Graduation Banquet, Coast Hotel and Convention Centre, 6:30 pm