December 2, 2017
LSS PEP RALLY SHOWS THE SAINTS HAVE SCHOOL SPIRIT!
- Thank you to Mr. Hantke and Mr. Wyse for taking the lead in organizing a very successful Pep Rally at LSS this past Wednesday! The entire school came down to the large gym to celebrate the athletic successes of LSS students in the first part of the school year. The assembly began with a video showing some of the highlights of this past season for sports such as rugby, soccer, cross-country, volleyball, and football. Mr. Wyse then spoke on the importance of having assemblies like this, not just for athletics but for all of the amazing extracurricular happenings in the school. He then focused in on the different teams that LSS ran this year and the growing number of students who are participating and taking advantage of all of the opportunities that athletics have to offer. The different Fall teams then marched out into the gym, with graduating Saints having a chance to say a few words to their fellow students. The assembly then showcased a “chariot race” followed by more video clips and huge cheers for our student athletes, and for our Senior Girls Volleyball team as they headed into Provincials the following day. More thanks go to all of the staff and students who helped put the event together, and to the LSS student body who boisterously, and respectfully, cheered on their fellow Saints!
- Need Help with Dressing-up for Grad? Are you a grad who is concerned about being able to afford a grad dress or suit? We are able to provide some help, but there are only limited spaces, so please see the Counsellors as soon as possible…!
- Have you thought about September 2018??? We are getting close to the big Universities’ application dates (December through February) – next Friday – December 1st – is UBC’s application deadline for major entrance scholarships and for first round offers (i.e. – only the strongest applicants will be offered admission in this round – these students can expect to have an offer of admission as early as late December). Grade 12’s are strongly encouraged to research and to be on top of their preferred university’s application dates and documentation deadlines… and to make an appointment and come see a Counsellor if they have questions!
- UPDATE! Next Dry Grad Meeting: This Wednesday, December 6 at 7 pm, in the LSS Library – Important decisions are being made NOW! Grade 12 parents are welcome!
- Dry Grad Fundraiser: Dry Grad has a year-long bottle drive fundraiser setup. Please take bottles to the recycling depot on Industrial Ave behind Save on Foods and mention that you would like to donate the proceeds to LSS Dry Grad (account # 750).
- Mr. Camara Scholarship: Djiba Camara was a remarkable man who devoted the latter part of his life to humanitarian work. During his time at HD Stafford Middle School, his ‘Drop Off to Africa’ initiative fostered a culture of care throughout the school and community. He was also a retired professional soccer player and enjoyed an illustrious coaching career. The Djiba Camara Memorial Scholarship was created in his memory. It will be awarded to a recipient(s) who excels in academic achievement and community/school service, combined with soccer aptitude; this scholarship is only for LSS students. The deadline to apply is by May 1, 2018. To learn more about the scholarship and how to apply, please see the attached: Djiba Camara Memorial Scholarship
LSS DANCE STUDIO NEWS
- Field Trip Last Week! 21 dancers went on a field trip to Downtown Vancouver to take a dance class at Harbour Dance Centre. The dancers then went to Cafe Crepe for a great meal.
- Fundraiser! There will be an Open House and Bake Sale next Friday, December 8th at Lunch in front of the New Dance Studio. Come and see the new dance studio and treat yourself to some delicious baked goods! Proceeds go to support the LSS Dance Program.
REMINDER – CALL FOR SASSY AWARD APPLICATIONS
- The SASSY awards are a very worthy Langley ROTARY Club initiative and an exciting opportunity for our grads. Last year LSS students Makayla Goldsmith was a runner-up, and Daynery Moo won in the category of Overcoming Adversity. The really exciting news for me this year is that ROTARY has DOUBLED the dollar amount that they give directly to students -it is now a total of $14000.00 a year! So, spread over our 7 categories, that is $2000.00 per category: $1000.00 to the winner and $500.00 to each of the two runners up. There are twenty-one prize winners in all!
- The seven categories are:
- Community service
- Environmental leadership
- International service
- Leadership beyond adversity
- Youth Leadership
- Sports Leadership
- Arts and Culture Leadership
- LSS students have done well in the SASSY awards in the past, so don’t hesitate! If you would like more information, please download the attached SASSY Quick Facts and application, THEN see one of the admin or one of the counsellors if you are interested in applying! Langley SASSY Quick Facts – 2018sassyslangley_nomination final
REMINDER! LSS MUSIC OPPORTUNITIES AND INFORMATION!
- If you have any questions about any of the information below, please contact Ms. Thorpe at the school – email@example.com
- Homecoming ensembles – If parents and other adults connected with LSS would like to join us to perform for our concert Wednesday, Dec 20, we would love to have you! All players and singers are welcome and we may be able to loan you an instrument, depending on what you play. We will rehearse together on Friday Dec 8 and Dec 22. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know you are interested.
- Chocolate and Gift Card Fundraisers: The Music department would like to save you some time and sell you some chocolate! Or some gift cards. Get a start on your Christmas shopping and help a music student go on tour. Please visit our fundraising site at https://lssmusicfundraising.wordpress.com for more information and order forms.
- Disneyland 2019! We are just starting to make plans for a big tour during spring break 2019! If you are not yet a student in dance, musical theatre, choir or band, you might want to plan to join one of those classes next year to get in on our big adventure. See Mrs. Thorpe for more information.
CAREERS OPPORTUNITIES AND UPDATES
- Here is the List of LSS Students Accepted into Apprenticeship programs around the District!
- Graham L. – Automotive Service Technician Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – KPU
- Jake H. – Automotive Service Technician Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – KPU
- Jarrod M. – Automotive Service Technician Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – KPU
- Ben P. – Automotive Service Technician Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – KPU
- Gordon L. – Carpentry Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – KPU
- Jayden P. – Carpentry Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – KPU
- Colton W.– Electrical Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – BCIT
- Ryan L. – Electrical Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – BCIT
- Jacob M. – Electrical Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – BCIT
- Sam W. – Piping and Plumbing Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – BCIT
- Daniel V. – Piping and Plumbing Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – BCIT
- Kyle M. – Piping and Plumbing Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – BCIT
- Jacob D. – Piping and Plumbing Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – BCIT
- Liisa H. – Horticulture Youth TRAIN in TRADEs program – KPU
- Upcoming Career Tours:
- Construction Tour – Thursday, December 7 – only 20 spots available – for grades 10-12 students! For more information, please see the attached poster: Construction Tour
- Electrical Workshop – Thursday, December 14 – for grades 10-12 students!
- For more information on any of these opportunities, please see Ms. Blessing in the Counselling Office ASAP!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
Throughout the school year, we will have important information on students clubs and teams in this section of the Scoop! If you want to meet new people and have fun while learning something new, then read below… and join an LSS club or team!
- LSS Book Club: Attention all book lovers. On Thursdays, the LSS Book Club meets in Room 220 at lunchtime to discuss new books we’re reading, talk about our love of literature and challenge each other to try new books. Feel free to join us!
- LSS Debate and Model UN Club: Join us every Friday at lunchtime in Room 220. Members will learn how to debate, examine current events, and prepare for upcoming MUN conferences and debate tournaments. New members are always welcome.
- Makerspace Club: Please see Mr. Powell! Their goal is to define a school Makerspace Club by its purpose and simplest of terms: it is a place where young people (both girls and boys!) have an opportunity to explore their own interests, learn to use tools and materials, both physical and virtual, and develop creative projects. All students are welcome to attend.
- Geeky Hang Out Days: Please join Ms. Hajdecki for Geeky Hang Out Days in Room 123!
- Magic the Gathering Mondays
- Wii U Wednesdays
- Tabletop Thursdays
- Featured Anime Fridays
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 145. (Ms. Lee’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- Youth Unlimited Hangar 17: Wednesday’s at the Langley Airport! Creative life & drop in (free art program and drop-in centre) from 3:30-5:30pm. Community meal (free supper!) from 5:30-6:30pm. Spiritual life (a safe space to discuss life, faith and deeper questions) from 6:30-7:30pm. Shuttle bus pick-up at Langley Secondary at 3:25pm. Shuttle rides home are offered at 6:30pm and 7:45pm (waivers are required and are available in the school office!). For more information: 604-557-6507 or email@example.com
- GSA Alliance: The LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance will be meeting on Tuesdays at lunchtime in the Drama Room. All students are welcome to attend!
- LSS Dance Team: Would you like to try out for the LSS Dance Team and perform jazz and hip hop? The Dance Team practices at lunchtime twice a week and performs at various events! All dance levels are welcome! Practices take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at lunch in the new Dance Studio.
- Grad Council: Usual meetings of Grad Council take place on Tuesdays at lunchtime in Room 132. All grads are welcome! Get involved in Grad 2018!
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club meetings are on Wednesdays at lunch in Room 213 with Ms. Wood and Ms. Sewell.
FROM THE DISTRICT
- To Korean Speaking Parents: Please see the attached PDF file for more information: 시민권 신청
- Socialpreneurs’ Club – This is a District-initiated program that allows students to develop entrepreneurial skills while giving back to their communities. Students will be able to use seed money to create and sustain a socially motivated business model. Learn how your teachers and students can take advantage of this opportunity! The process is simple: a teacher and group of students send us a business proposal and (if selected) we will grant you up to $500 to start up your socially responsible business platform. The website is up and running for our Socialpreneurs group. You will find more detailed information and the application process: http://langleysocialprVisioneneurs.wseebly.com. If a group of students is interested, then all you need is the teacher sponsor, as per above. If you have questions, please see one of the admin and we can help you find a teacher sponsor! Applications accepted until January 30, 2018.
- THIS WEEK! The Junior Leadership Class at Brookswood Secondary would like to invite you to participate in their SANTA’S WORKOUT FOR WATER event on December 9 at Belmont Elementary School! Here you will learn about the NEED for clean water that affects about 1 BILLION people in the world and the simple process of how recycling batteries can save children’s lives. The event will begin with a warm-up at 9:15 am and then all participants will be taken through a “Bootcamp” circuit workout. In line with the holiday spirit, each participant will be given bells to attach to their running shoes so that they can “jingle” their way through their workout! Registration forms will be available at your school or by contacting Ms. Yun at firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be refreshments to follow the event and lots of raffle prizes! Please contact Lenny Yun at email@example.com if you would like further information – and be sure to click on the two attachments! santa workout for water poster – SANTAS WORKOUT FOR WATER
- Pregnant and Parenting Youth December calendar: Please see the attached calendar for more information: December calendar 2017
- Langley Youth Hub December Calendar: Please see the attached for more information: 19 Youth Calendar Dec 2017
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Some of the items you will find out more about on the District Board include:
- Immediate: Ball Hockey Registrations open now
- Immediate: Dance without Limits (Surrey) Drop in Chuck Bailey Rec Center (inclusive program)
- Dec. 1s-15th – Christmas in Williams park – Township of Langley Events
- Dec. 2nd – Magic of Christmas Santa Parade – Langley Fraser Hwy 56th to 207th.
- Dec. 2nd – James Kennedy Craft Market
- Dec. 2nd – Langley Gymnastic – BC Winter Trials – Event Center
- Dec. 2nd – Pioneer Christmas – Langley Centennial Museum
- Jan. – Feb – Langley Centennial Museum – Programs and Events
- Dec. 9th – Aldergrove Agricultural Fair and Festival Assoc Events
- Dec. 15th – Youth Adventure Club – Bright Lights at Stanley Park Christmas Train
- Dec, 27th – Jan. 5 – Winterfest – Day Camps Langley City
- Jan. 2018 – Aldergrove Swim Club Registrations
- Jan. 2018 – Deadline for North Langley Baseball
- Jan. 2018 – Girls Lacrosse Program Registration
- Feb. 25th – Study and Go Abroad – Free Info Conference
- Some of the items you will find out more about on the District Board include:
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- Dec. 4: Fire Drill (p.m.)
- Dec. 5: ISP Field Trip to Van Dusen Gardens
- Dec. 6: Grade 9 Assembly, Small gym, during Flex
- Dec. 8: Dance Program Open House and Bake Sale, Lunch
- Dec. 18: Grad Christmas Movie Night
- Dec. 20: Homecoming Concert, Small Gym, 7 pm
- Dec. 22: Last Day of Classes for Christmas/Winter Break
- Jan. 8: School Re-Opens
- Jan. 15: Staff Collaboration, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Jan. 16: PAC Meeting, Rm 128, 7pm
- Jan. 17: LSS Piping Orientation for Students and Parents, Library, 7 pm
- Jan. 24: Last Day of Classes – Semester 1
- Jan. 26: Taste of LSS for Grade 7 and 8 students from HDSMS
- Jan. 29: Semester 2 Classes Begin
- Feb. 7: Staff Collaboration, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Feb. 9: Semester 1 Report Cards Issued
- Feb. 12: BC Family Day, Schools CLOSED
- Feb. 20: PAC Meeting, Rm 128, 7pm
- Apr. 16: PAC Meeting, Rm 128, 7pm
- May 22: PAC Meeting and AGM, Rm 128, 7pm
- June 21: LSS Grad Ceremony, CLA
- June 22: LSS Grad Dinner and Dance, Coast Hotel
- June 27: LSS Awards Night