February 12, 2017
With all of the snow days this past week, right in the heart of Grad Cruise, Course Planning and Report Cards, we have had to change a few dates and push back a few deadlines that we had set; please read below for the new dates and other changes, as we have highlighted them in green ink. Let’s hope that the snowy winter weather will change over to our more typical wet winter weather for the next while – as dark and dreary as that can be, at least we know we can count on schools being open!
(UPDATED) COURSE PLANNING AND OPEN HOUSE – THIS THURSDAY!
- LSS Course Planning Evening/Open House is happening this Thursday, February 16, 2017 from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm.
- The Open House portion will run all evening (as per times above), with various school departments available to answer questions, as well as to “show off” and demonstrate some of what happens in class in each discipline; this is a fantastic time to explore the many different options that LSS offers to help students find their strengths and possible career pathways.
- At 7 pm, parents of current grade 7 and 8 students at HDSMS are invited to the small gym for a presentation on the opportunities that LSS offers, as well as Grade 9 course planning information; students are also welcome! At 7:30 pm, parents of current Grade 9-11 students are invited to the library for a course planning presentation and graduation program information; students are also welcome!
- We also will be serving coffee and cookies in the cafeteria. So come out and enjoy this parent version of “Taste of LSS” and find out what makes this school so sweet!
(UPDATED) REPORT CARDS COMING OUT EARLY THIS WEEK
- Parents will be able to access Report Cards via the Parent Portal early this week, as we have had to push back publication; we will send out an email to parents when they are published. Parents who do not have access to the internet, or are having difficulty getting access, will have the opportunity to be able to pick up paper copies at LSS; please call ahead if you would like your report card printed for you! Parents will need to have an email account to be able to access the Parent Portal. If you need assistance with your Parent Portal, please email MYEDBCSupport@sd35.bc.ca or contact the Main Office.
(UPDATED) LAST CHANCE FOR COURSE CHANGES
- We have also extended the deadline for course changes to this upcoming week. If you have an incomplete timetable or error in your courses, please see a counsellor as soon as possible. All other students, please make a counselling appointment at the Main Office to make a timetable change. THIS week will be the last day for course changes.
(UPDATED) BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL ACADEMY OPEN HOUSE
- The Langley Secondary Softball and Baseball Academies are hosting two different player and parent information nights. This is an opportunity for players and parents to learn about the 2 academies at Langley Secondary School and academic options that are available to students in the district.
- The Baseball Academy Information Night (previously scheduled for February 7) is now on Thursday, February 16 at 6:30 in the LSS Library.
- The Softball Academy Information Night is on Monday February 27 at 7 pm in the LSS Library.
- More information is available at lssbaseballacademy.com
(REMINDER) YOUTH AT RISK
- Youth at Risk: We are looking for donations for youth at risk in the hopes of providing them with hobbies, outlets and alternative interests. The students came up with a list of items to donate based on their own hobbies and interests. Please bring any of the following items to room 208 (Ms. Brazzy’s room) to send to Northern Ontario. Donations accepted up until Spring Break.
- Gently used sports equipment and gear (ranging from deflated soccer balls, footballs etc to hockey sticks and pads, helmets, skates, etc.)
- Older model video games, portable consoles, controls and multiplayer consoles, as well as games
- Board games
- Books (including graphic novels, magazines, novels, manga, etc.)
- Any art and craft supplies
- Anything else you can think of that teens (just like you!) could use.
(STARTS IN 2 WEEKS!) LITTLE MERMAID COMING TO LSS!
- Coming soon to LSS… Musical theatre presents The Little Mermaid. Our alumni night is March 2nd at 7pm! Ticket prices are $12 for adults, $10 for students and $8 for children under 10. We hope you all can make it. Please make ticket reservations with me if you are interested in coming for any of the nights, as I am sure we will book up fast .
To purchase online tickets, go to sd35.schoolcashonline.com
(REMINDER) OLD YEARBOOKS FOR SALE!!!
- Do you have a parent, aunt, uncle, or other family member or friend who used to attend LSS? Do you know what years they attended? Well, you can surprise them and have a laugh while you are at it… As we prepare to move to the new LSS building that will be constructed over the next 3 years, we are clearing out 40 years-worth of yearbooks! This is your chance to surprise that family member or friend and own a piece of LSS history – last year’s yearbook is only $40; previous year’s books are an astounding $5! See Ms. Turpin or Mr. Howlett to find out more!
CAREER and POST-SECONDARY OPPORTUNITIES:
- (UPDATED) WANT FREE POST-SECONDARY CREDITS?!
- Kwanten XCEL Program: Are you in grade 11 this school year, and looking to get a start on university course credits while you are in high school… for FREE? If so, then the Kwanten XCEL program is the opportunity for you! We will be sharing more information at the Grade 11 Course Planning assembly, while pamphlets should be arriving at the school this week. Please note that this opportunity is NOT open to ISP students. Please see Mr. Moino if you would like to find out moire about the program and if it is right for you. Finally, the District is hosting a parent/student information night for the XCEL program that has been scheduled for Wednesday, March 1 – 7:00 – 8:30PM in the SBO Boardroom. ***We are also having a meeting at LSS this week – on Friday, February 17 at lunch in room 128 for current grade 11s to get more information – be there!
- (This Week) Culinary Tour: Please find attached to this email information the poster and application package regarding the Culinary Arts Tour scheduled for February 21, 2017. Please have completed applications submitted to my attention at the School Board Office by February 16, 2017. The space is limited to 20 students for the entire District for this tour. See Ms. Blessing if you are interested. Culinary Arts Applic Pkg
- (This Week) Women in Trades: Although this year’s Piping and Plumbing program graduation described above had all males this past year, we have had several young women graduate from the program who are currently working successfully in a Trades career. If you are interested in learning more, please see the attached poster: women in trades poster Feb 16, 2017 -2
- (This Week) Trades Night: Looking for some direction after graduation? Interested in a possible career in the trades? Langley has several programs to choose from! Please see the attached poster for the date and time of this important evening:
- (This Week) Parents as Career Coaches: This a two-session workshop to help parents become more effective “career coaches” for their children, as their children explore the vast career opportunities that exist. Session 1 is this Wednesday, February 15, at WGSS Library. Please see the poster for more information on BOTH sessions: Parents as Career Coaches flyer copy
- (UPDATED) TRIUMF, UBC, and SFU’s Saturday Morning Lecture series on various physics topics. There have been two location changes that we wanted to clarify. The new locations are as follows:
- Feb 24, 2017 SFU Surrey Room 2740
- April 8, 2017 SFU Surrey Room 5240
- (UPDATED) Grad Cruise: As we announced last week, the Grad Cruise is ON! We have tentatively set a date of April 6, 2017, but we are hearing that there may be a conflict with the Kwanten XCEL Final Exams. We are in contact with the District, who is on contact with KPU. If we confirm that there is a conflict, we will again re-schedule the grad cruise, as we don’t want students to miss out on the grad cruise based on another school-linked event. More to come in the next week!
- (UPDATED) Artona will reschedule its time to come to LSS to take Grad photos of only the Grads who DID NOT have a photo taken in the Fall. This is not a full session and is for the yearbook and composite only. This is NOT for photo retakes.
- Scholarship: Save-On Foods in partnership with UFCW 1518 is offering scholarships valued at $1000 each to students who have played a significant role in diversity initiatives in their school and/or community. Students can apply at www.owfg.com/diversity. Deadline for applications is May 1. 2017.
- BCGEU Scholarship: The BC Government and Services Union is offering scholarships of $3000 for full-time and $2000 for part-time post-secondary studies undertaken by BCGEU members, staff and their families. Go to www.bcgeu.ca/unioneducation for details of the scholarship program, including eligibility requirements and a link to the online application. Applications must be submitted online by midnight on Sunday, March 12, 2017.
- ASTSBC Scholarship: The Association of School Transportation Services of British Columbia (ASTSBC) will award a scholarship to eligible student(s) attending an educational facility in the Province of British Columbia for the express purpose of attaining certification as a Commercial Heavy Duty Mechanic. The Association will sponsor a maximum of four (4) students at any one time. Each successful candidate may receive up to a maximum of $7,000 over the 4 years. Please see attached pdf for more information, criteria and deadlines.
- Prospera Scholarship: Here at Prospera we believe in helping people realize their star potential. And no, we’re not talking about getting you an audition for a reality show. What we are talking about is the kind of help that assists students in achieving those all-important educational goals. We understand that it’s not always easy to go from dreaming to doing, that’s why we created the Educational Awards Program. We know a little extra money never hurt anybody (we are, after all, a credit union), that’s why our program offers from $1,000 to $2,000 to put towards post-secondary education within Canada. Of course – as much as we’d like to – we can’t give out money to just anyone, so there are a few qualifications students will need to meet to apply. If you know of students that may qualify for our Educational Awards Program, we want to hear from them, because nothing would make us happier than to help them shine! For full details on the program and the guidelines to apply, please visit the link below; https://www.prospera.ca/Community/CommPrograms/SupportEd/ The deadline for applications is March 1.
- The Graduate Wardrobe is a non-profit organization established to help students who cannot afford to buy or rent their own grad dresses or suits. If you are worried about affording a grad dress or suit for Grad, please see your counsellor as soon as possible for more information.
LSS IN THE NEWS
- THEY DID IT!!! You may be aware that Langley youth (including LSS students) have been mobilizing and working hard to ensure that Langley homeless youth have a place to stay at night – Langley’s own homeless shelter. Well, as amazing as it sounds, our youth’s hard work has been recognized, and their voices have been heard! To read more about the announcement by the Provincial government and the Township of Langley (and to see a photo of two of our LSS students who helped lead the charge!), please click on the following link: Youth shelter announced for Langley – Langley Times
- (THIS WEEK) The Aboriginal Family Day gathering is on Friday, February 17 at HD Stafford, from 5 pm to 8 pm. All are invited and welcome! Please see the poster for more details: Aboriginal Family Gathering
- Conversation Café – February 20th from 4 to 6 pm – An open and casual discussion about supporting our at-risk Langley youth. Topics include an update on youth homelessness, what is being done, community support strategies and awareness of the situation. please see the attached poster for more information: poster
- FROM THE TOWNSHIP: You are hereby notified that effective immediately ALL Township of Langley playing fields, i.e. synthetic, natural grass, and all-weather, are CLOSED until further notice due to winter weather conditions. Affected contracts will be amended. Please notify coaches, players, and parents.Facility Rental Contract Terms and Conditions item 24 reads as follows: Any rental group and/or individual found to have played on a field that is officially closed may forfeit the right to play for the remainder of the season.
(REMINDER) CLUBS AND TEAMS
LSS has NUMEROUS opportunities to get involved in Saints Nation! The more students get involved in their school, the more positive connections they make, the more they enjoy their time here, and the more successful they become in their classes. So, what are you waiting for… get involved! See below for opportunities:
- Math Contest Club: The last meeting of the Math Contest Club will be on Tuesday, February 21st, prior to the actual Math 9-11 contest which will take place on Tuesday, February 29th.
- Junior Boys Basketball: Tuesdays and Thursdays practices right after school
- Junior Girls Basketball: Practices on Wednesday and Friday after school.
- Wrestling Team: Come on out and join! Practices are on: Mondays 3:15-5:00 Tuesdays 3:15-5:00 Wednesdays 3:15-5:00 Thursdays 6:00-7:30
- Grad Council: Meetings on Tuesdays at lunch in Room 134. All grads are welcome to attend!
- Gay Straight Alliance: Please join us at the GSA – gender and sexuality alliance – in room 215 at lunch on Tuesdays for some lively and meaningful discussion in a safe environment. Everyone is welcome. The GSA is an important part of our inclusive school and everyone’s voice needs to be heard.
- Knit Wits Club: Thursdays at lunchtime in Room 143. Beginners are always welcome!
- Dance Team: The dance team will be practicing at lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Dance Studio.
- Art Addicts Studio: Youth Unlimited is again running Art Addicts Studio! For more information, please email langleyYU@youthunlimited.com or phone 604-557-6507. www.youthunlimited.com. Please pick up a permission form in the office! No membership fees. All art supplies provided.
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- February 13: Family Day, School CLOSED
- February 14: Valentine’s Day!
- February 14: Grade Assemblies for Course Planning (All day)
- February 14-15: Semester One Report Cards Issued
- February 15: Lockdown Drill, in the a.m.
- February 16: Course Planning Evening and Open House, ALL Welcome! 6:30 pm
- February 17: Aboriginal Family Gathering, at HD Stafford, 5-8 pm
- February 20-23: Diversity Week
- February 22: Pink Shirt Day!
- February 24: District Professional Development Day, Students NOT in Session
- February 25: LSS Musical theatre Begins: “The Little Mermaid” – 2 pm and 7 pm shows
- February 28: Math Contest, Period 1
- April 6: Grad Cruise (Tentative)