January 10, 2021
- REMINDER: TIME TO SIGN UP! GRAD PHOTO WEEK is coming SOON! – For grade 12s, Grad Portrait Week will be February 22-27, 2021.
- Please go to artona.com and click on “How do Grad Portraits work?” on the opening page.
- Then, click on “Book Now”
- When asked “What school are you from?”, type in “Langley Secondary”
- You will then be able to choose from “Individual” or “Group” photos.
- Continue to follow the prompts until your date and time are booked!
- Artona will be sending its mobile studio to LSS in February on the dates above to make grad photos as convenient as possible for our Grade 12s!
- REMINDER: Grads of 2019/20 – Graduation Certificates from the Ministry of Education are now available in the Main Office for pick up.
- REMINDER: 2019/20 Yearbooks are also available. Please see Ms. Turpin or Mr. Tesan in Rooms A62 and/or A64.
FOUNDRY CENTRE COMING TO LANGLEY!
- Foundry Survey: Middle and Secondary – Plans are in the works to bring a Foundry Centre to Langley to support youth wellness and your help is needed. Youth 12-24 and their caregivers are encouraged to complete a survey to provide their input on the design of the centre and supports that are needed. Send in your response and you can enter a chance to win a $50 gift card or complete the survey here: http://ow.ly/NCpz50CPAAp
- Our community partner, Encompass Support Services Society, is also looking for youth advisory committee members to contribute to this project. For more info email: email@example.com
- Career Information Sessions: Interested in learning more about careers in the Canadian Military or the RCMP? See the posters below for more information!
- Volunteer Opportunity: Join the Reading Buddies Program!
- Reading Buddies is a program in Langley that pairs high school students with kids in Grades 1 to 3 who need extra help with reading. Big buddies must be ages 15+ and/or registered in Grades 10 to 12. This is a great program for students to receive volunteer hours.
- For Big Buddies to apply, visit: https://langleyliteracynetwork.com/reading-buddies/
- REMINDER: Attention all grade 10, 11 & 12 students: Looking for something to do at Spring Break? The Langley Learning Farm Crew has a spot for you! Across the street from LSS, the Derek Doubleday Arboretum can be your classroom for 80 hours of volunteering—earn 50 during spring break (9am-2:15, M-F). Build a farm, literally watch your effort come to life by seeing plants grow and harvesting the fruit plus leave a legacy for Langley! Why not earn a grade 12 course credit through Work and Volunteer Experience?! Register today with Mrs. Blessing. See Ms. Kiers for details. This is a fantastic opportunity! (See below for more information about the course!)
DEVELOPING DIGITAL CITIZENS – MS TEAMS CHAT USE GUIDELINES
- From the District: We have experienced some challenges with younger students “chatting inappropriately” with other students, including students outside of their own schools, but within the District. We are not planning on doing a full shut down of “chat” functions. Instead, we would like to inform parents about the positive opportunities that the MS Teams platform provides, and request that they work with us on our goal to develop good digital citizenship skills.
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
DISTRICT & COMMUNITY NEWS
- Information About School Status During Inclement Weather
- Snow closures and power outages are an annual occurrence in Langley School District. So, where do you go to get information about the status of schools during periods of inclement weather? If you are able to access the internet via computer or smartphone, current information about Langley schools can be accessed on all school websites or www.sd35.bc.ca. Updates are also posted to Twitter @LangleySchools and Facebook at www.facebook.com/langleyschooldistrict. If you don’t have internet connectivity but your phone is working, call a relative or friend in an area that has not been affected by the storm and ask them to check the district website for you. Local radio stations are also informed of school status in Langley. Tune in to CKWX 1130AM, CKNW 980AM, Country Radio 107.1FM, Pulse 107.7 or CBC 690AM or 88.1FM for updates.
- Please note that Langley District schools are all considered ‘open’ until a decision to close is required. Decisions on school closures are usually made by 6:30am. As always, it is a parent’s decision whether to send their child to school based on safety and individual circumstances. If you feel it is unsafe for you or your child to travel to or attend an open school for any reason, please keep your child home and report an absence to the school.
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Jan 20 – Piping & Plumbing Orientation, 6:30 pm
- Jan 25 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Jan 25-29 – Literacy and Numeracy Assessment Week
- Feb 1 – Last Day of Quarter 2
- Feb 2 – Quarter Turnaround Day (Students NOT in Session)
- Feb 3 – First Day of Quarter 3
- Feb 9 – Quarter 2 Report Cards Published
- Feb 22 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Feb 22-27 – Grad Portrait Week
- Apr 19 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- May 17 – PAC Meeting and AGM, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- June 16 – LSS Grad Ceremony, Tentatively Booked at CLA, 7 pm
- June 29 – Final Report Cards Issued