January 15, 2017
LSS EVENING OF DANCE A HIT!
- Anyone able to attend the first Expressions Through Dance for the year was treated to an evening of true inspiration by LSS Dance students! One of the quotes in the evening’s program was, “I see dance as being used as communication between body and soul, to express what is too deep to find for words” (Rut St. Denis). Ironically, many words came to my mind as I watched the dancers, words such as powerful, energetic, lyrical, poetic, intriguing, heartfelt, surprising, inspiring and talented… and perhaps the best part, they looked like they all had fun in the process! Thanks to Mrs. Lidemark and all of the Dance students for opening a window to the rest off us into their hard work and passion for dance!
JUNIOR GIRLS BASKETBALL “HOOPING IT UP” THIS WEEKEND!
- The Junior Girls Basketball team had a very successful weekend in tournament play at DW Poppy! They played very well at the tournament defeating Guildford Park 43-37 and Earl Marriott 51-16. The team was defeated by Samuel Robertson Technical on Friday 26-38, but the team bounced back and and won the consolation game! The girls are talented and the more they incorporate Mr. Hantke’s, Mr. Powell’s, and Mr. Sheppard’s basketball plays and tactics, the better their play against the opposition! So proud of our team! (Description and photos courtesy of Ms. Neuscheler.)
REPORT CARDS ONLINE THIS SEMESTER!
- After much work at the school and District, the Parent Portal on MYEDBC is finally ready! There are several benefits associated with being able to access this feature on MYEDBC for parents. Once we are fully implemented, Parent l Portal will give parents access to check attendance, class progress, student schedules and also download report cards. For this semester, we will be able to give parents access to student report cards online. Parents will be getting an email from MYEDBC with instructions on how to set up their account in the next two weeks. Parents who do not have access to the internet, or are having difficulty getting access, will have the opportunity to be able to pick up paper copies at LSS on Friday, February 10 from 10 AM to 11 AM. Parents will need to have an email account to be able to access the Parent Portal. If you need assistance with your Parent Portal, please email MYEDBCSupport@sd35.bc.ca or contact the Main Office.
INTRAMURALS: 3 on 3 TOURNAMENT!
- The Senior Boys Basketball team is hosting a 3 on 3 basketball tournament this week from Wednesday to Friday at lunchtime. Sign up your team of four for $10 in the Main Foyer at lunchtime today – you may even win a limited-edition “LSS Intramural Champs” water bottle! All proceeds go to support your Senior Boys Basketball Team.
BEYOND THE HURT TRAINING AT LSS
- Are you a grade 10 student looking to provide mentorship to HDS students, while also developing your own leadership and empathy skills? The Red Cross Beyond The Hurt (BTH) training is back at LSS. This program is “a peer-led program, which trains selected high school students as Youth Facilitators (YFs) who deliver bullying, harassment and discrimination prevention education workshops to their younger peers.” The training will take place at LSS on February 20-21. Please see Ms. Babecoff-Kimhi for more information!
LAST CHANCE TO GET YEARBOOKS AT THE DISCOUNTED PRICE!
- “I regret buying a yearbook,” said NO ONE EVER!!! Purchase your Yearbook for $40 up until January 25th! Stop by the Main Office before the early-bird discount ends, and prices go UP for LATE ORDERS!
DID YOU KNOW… ABOUT TRADES I and II at LSS?
- Trades I and II is a program for Grade 9 and 10 students who tend to be hands-on learners and who may struggle in more traditional learning environments; Trades I and II provides students with many hands-on activities. Trades I and II is for students who learn well in a smaller cohort and with fewer teachers, and who are looking to potentially move into the trades. The program is running in its third year this year, with 22 students in the Trades I cohort. In the program’s first year, of the initial 25 students, 21 graduated successfully from the two year program, with more than a third of students going directly into an ACE-IT or other Trades program; many more of these students were considering different post-secondary and trades options. There are numerous individual success stories of students who found their purpose and passion, while discovering what their strengths are and gaining confidence as learners. Congratulations to the students in the program, and thanks to Mr. Powell, Mr. Howlett, Ms. Pagnanini, and Mr. Mahil for their incredible work with these students and this program! If you are interested in learning more about Trades I and II, please contact the school at 604-534-4171.
DID YOU KNOW…
- …that LSS student Cameron Smith is one of 40 finalists vying for a spot on Canada’s U-18 Rugby Team? Best wishes Cameron – no matter the outcome, we are proud of you!
THANKS FROM HD STAFFORD MIDDLE SCHOOL
- The LSS community showed a great deal of generosity this past Christmas in sending hampers to our Middle school, HD Stafford. Please read the attached letter of thanks from HDS Vice Principal Ms. Hayer: HDSMS Hamper Thank you Letter
- BURSARY OPPORTUNITY: The Charlene Reaveley Children’s Charity is a registered charity, located in the lower mainland and supports children and their families who have lost a loved one. CRCCS would like to offer a bursary to graduating students who have lost a parent and/or sibling. You can check out the website www.crccs.ca for more scholarship information, as well as to find out more about other services the charity offers. Please see the attached letter for more details, as well: CRCCS Bursary 2017
- Grad Hoodies: Sample sizes of Grad Hoodies are now in the office! $50 each. Please order your Grad Hoodies in the Main Office. Deadline to order is Friday, January 20th!
- Grad Cruise: Tickets for this year’s Grad Cruise will be on sale after school in the Main Office! Please note that in order to attend the Grad Cruise, you must have met requirements for Grad Trans, have your permission form completed and handed in, and have all fees and textbook fines paid.
- Grad Friendship Photos: Grad Friendship Photos will take place on Wednesday, January 18th! Cost is $15 per person. Please sign up in the Main Office as soon as possible.
- The Graduate Wardrobe is a non-profit organization established to help students who cannot afford to buy or rent their own grad dresses or suits. If you are worried about affording a grad dress or suit for Grad, please see your counsellor as soon as possible for more information.
LSS” OWN VERSION OF “PITCH PERFECT!”
- Calling young women who sing: Please join us at Langley Secondary for our annual workshop in close harmony a cappella; even if you are not in choir or musical theatre yet, you are welcome to sign up! Registration forms and more information are available at http://westcoastsings.com/ywih
- Engineering Explorations 11 – Saturday, January 28, 2017 – Grade 11 girls – come to UBC for our inaugural grade 11 girls conference in January! The conference is an exciting opportunity for grade 11 girls to participate in hands-on workshops, explore UBC and meet engineering students! This event is already half full, so don’t delay in signing up! Register online.
- UBC Engineering Physics Info Event – Sunday Jan 29th, 2017, 11am-3:pm, Lab tours, student discussion, and light refreshments. UBC Engineering Physics is inviting talented and motivated high school students and their parents to a free orientation event where they can visit our research and teaching facilities, meet students and faculty, and discover the unique breadth and opportunities provided by our program. Although there is no limit to the number of students each school may nominate, we encourage students to register early as space is limited. Register online
- For more information about UBC Engineering opportunities, please see the attached calendar of events: 2016 12 Upcoming Events Poster
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK AT LSS
- TEDxYouth@Langley videos have been released! Please click on each video title for their links: Lessons On Self-Confidence From A Teenageer: Reece Doppenberg – Just Be You! Hannah Cramer – Labels Are Empowering: Ahnika Barber – Why Agriculture Needs Millenials: Sara Kate Smith
- Mental Health Event Open to LSS Students: An invitation to your students that are keen on supporting positive mental wellness! The Ambassador 35 leadership class is organizing a FREE event for students in grades 8-12 at the SBO from 3:45 pm to 6:45 pm on February 2. The 3 sessions will be: Yoga/Relaxation Techniques (Oxygen Yoga instructor), Coping Strategies for Stress and Anxiety (Child and Youth Mental Health Clinician) and Positive Self-Image (District counsellor). Please pass this information to any of your leadership students that would like to help out at this event or participate in it! Please note that the registration deadline is Jan 27th and that students must register through their school counsellor so that we are prepared for the students attending.
- (Reminder) The District Careers Department is hosting its annual 2-part Parents as Career Coaches sessions. This year Walnut Grove Secondary is hosting these sessions on Feb 15 and 22. Please see the attached for registration information: Parents as Career Coaches flyer
- (Reminder) Kindergarten Registration Opens Monday, January 16, 2017 – All children who will be five years old by December 31, 2017 (children born in 2012) are eligible for the Kindergarten program beginning September 5, 2017. Registrations received after March 31, 2017 will be considered late. Late registration may affect placement in your catchment school due to space limitations.The following documents are required at the time of registration: Proof of Age (Birth Certificate); Proof of Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status must be provided for the parent (Canadian Birth Certificate, Canadian Citizenship Card, Canadian Passport, Landed Immigrant documentation, Permanent Resident documentation/cards); Proof of residence (Driver’s License, utility bill or Lease/Rental Agreement).For more information and registration times please contact the elementary school.
- THE FORCE SOCIETY: “In the Know” series presents the webinar “The Four Step care Model of Conflict Management…” on Tuesday, January 24 at 6:30 pm. Please see the attached for more information, including location and seating reservation: Force ‘in the know’- Langley Jan 24 2017
- The Langley Association for Community Living presents “familyWORKs,” a program that supports and connects families towards employment with their family members who have disabilities. The next meeting is on January 18 at 7 pm. Please see the attached for more information: familyWORKs.SouthFraser.2017jan18
(REMINDER) THE SNOWBALL DANCE IS COMING THIS WEEK!
- The Snowball Dance is coming up on Thursday, January 19th! Students in all grades are welcome to attend this semi-formal dance. Tickets are $5.00 and are on sale this week through to the day of the dance. Tickets purchased this week will automatically be entered into a raffle. Guest forms are available in the Main Office.
(REMINDER) SEMESTER END INFORMATION
- I DAY at LSS is on Thursday, January 26. To clarify, I day is an opportunity for students who are missing a small number of course outcomes to demonstrate their understanding. A student is invited to I Day by his/her teachers if the teacher believes that the student requires a bit more time to demonstrate the learning for the semester. I Day is NOT a package of material that is given to students to make them pass the semester, and it is NOT an opportunity to make up all the missing work from a semester; LSS teachers already give multiple opportunities to students to make up key assignments throughout the semester. This is why it is up to the teacher to invite students. Please talk to your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
- PROVINCIAL EXAMS: The number of Provincial Exams has been greatly reduced this year as the Provincial government transitions to the new curriculum. The exam that all grade 12s MUST write this year is either English 12 OR Communications 12. At the same time, if a student failed English 10, Science 10, Math 10, or Social Studies 11 last year and did NOT re-take the course this year, he/she MAY still need to write the Provincial Exam. Please contact the school administration or counsellors to get clarification if you are in this situation.
(REMINDER) CALENDAR CORRECTION
- Recently, the District clarified the end of semester dates for all semester schools in Langley. The new “Last Day of Classes” for Semester 1 will be Wednesday, January 25. The calendars on the website and on the Saints 2 Go app have now been updated.
(REMINDER) CLUBS AND TEAMS
LSS has NUMEROUS opportunities to get involved in Saints Nation! The more students get involved in their school, the more positive connections they make, the more they enjoy their time here, and the more successful they become in their classes. So, what are you waiting for… get involved! See below for opportunities:
- Girls Rugby: THIS Monday, there will be a meeting at lunchtime in the Small Gym for all girls interested in playing rugby this year.
- Junior Boys Basketball: Tuesdays and Thursdays practices right after school
- Junior Girls Basketball: Practices on Wednesday and Friday after school.
- Wrestling Team: Come on out and join! Practices are on: Mondays 3:15-5:00 Tuesdays 3:15-5:00 Wednesdays 3:15-5:00 Thursdays 6:00-7:30
- Math Contest Club: Meetings on Tuesdays at lunch in room 204.
- Grad Council: Meetings on Tuesdays at lunch in Room 134. All grads are welcome to attend!
- Gay Straight Alliance: Please join us at the GSA – gender and sexuality alliance – in room 215 at lunch on Tuesdays for some lively and meaningful discussion in a safe environment. Everyone is welcome. The GSA is an important part of our inclusive school and everyone’s voice needs to be heard.
- Knit Wits Club: Thursdays at lunchtime in Room 143. Beginners are always welcome!
- Dance Team: The dance team will be practicing at lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Dance Studio.
- Art Addicts Studio: Youth Unlimited is again running Art Addicts Studio! For more information, please email langleyYU@youthunlimited.com or phone 604-557-6507. www.youthunlimited.com. Please pick up a permission form in the office! No membership fees. All art supplies provided.
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- January 16: PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
- January 19: Snowball Dance, 6:30 pm – 9;30 pm
- January 24: English 12 Provincial Exam, Small Gym, 8:30 am
- January 25: Communications 12 Provincial Exam, Small Gym, 8:30 am
- January 30: Taste of LSS, HDSMS Grade 7 and 8 Students at LSS!
- January 30: Semester 2 Classes begin
- February 1: Collaboration Afternoon, Students dismissed at 1:30 pm
- February 6: Grade Assemblies for Course Planning
- February 7: Course Planning Evening (incoming Grade 9s), 6:30 pm
- February 9: Grad Cruise
- February 10: Semester One Report Cards Issued
- February 13: Family Day, School CLOSED