January 29, 2017
HDSMS STUDENTS GET A FLAVOURFUL “TASTE OF LSS”!
- Almost 400 Grade 7 and 8 students from HD Stafford arrived at LSS this past Friday to find out for themselves what LSS and being a “Saint” is really about! As Mr. Davids, the Principal of HDSMS wrote, “They had the opportunity to try first-hand the LSS Science labs, PE facilities, Art rooms, technology and much, much more. And of course, the morning was rounded out with a delicious pizza lunch! It is such an exciting time as our students, particularly our grade 8s start to think about the next stage of their formal education. Thank you to everyone at LSS for making this such a great day! – See more at: https://hdsms.sd35.bc.ca/blog/hawk-squawk/hawk-squawk-january-27th/#sthash.sVQwJiq2.dpuf ” And thanks back at everyone at HD Stafford for helping this day happen so smoothly!
UPDATED SEMESTER 2 START-UP INFORMATION
- Semester 2 begins on Monday, January 30. Students will get their NEW semester 2 timetables in a special homeroom at the start of the day at 8:30 am. Homeroom will be everyone’s Semester 1, Block 1 class. New students, students with Study Blocks in Semester 1 Block 1 and students without a class in Semester 1 Block 1, please proceed to the Library to pick up your Semester 2 Schedules. Please listen to announcements for reminders!
- Counselling Appointments on Monday: Students who go to counselling to change their timetables will be dealt with in the following order:
- 1) Grade 12 students who are missing a course they need for graduation or post-secondary entrance.
- 2) Students who are in the wrong level of a course. For example, you are registered in Biology 11, but have not passed Science 10.
- 3) Students who have a “see counsellor” block on their timetable.
- All other students, please make a counselling appointment at the Main Office to make a timetable change. Friday, February 10th will be the last day for course changes.
(FINAL REMINDER) REPORT CARDS ONLINE THIS SEMESTER!
- Parents will be getting an email from MYEDBC with instructions on how to set up their account BY the end of this week. Parents who do not have access to the internet, or are having difficulty getting access, will have the opportunity to be able to pick up paper copies at LSS on Friday, February 10 from 10 AM to 11 AM; please call ahead if you would like your report card printed for you! Parents will need to have an email account to be able to access the Parent Portal. If you need assistance with your Parent Portal, please email MYEDBCSupport@sd35.bc.ca or contact the Main Office.
LSS JR GIRLS COME 2ND IN BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT!
- Congratulations to the Junior Girls for their strong play against tough competition this past weekend. The girls won their first game against the host Maple Ridge team 47-28. They lost their 2nd game to Handsworth 36-26 in a game that was close up until a late 4th quarter surge by the opposition. The team then ended the tournament on a winning note by defeating a Burnaby team 40-15. Thanks to the coaches for their work with this team!
LSS GYM CLASS HEROES!
- The following are PE’s Gym Class Hero award winners for January, 2017. Congratulations to all for their exemplary participation, sportsmanship, and attendance in PE!
- Block 1 – Hannah Lee, Trevor Alcos, Juan Galliego Arcila, Santiago Perez Farina, and Daniel Quintero Jaramillo
- Block 2 – Jordan Phonmixay, Austin Fadear, Kyra Stephens, Ryota Takabayashi, and Josh Mckay
- Block 3 – Navid Aliakbar, James Walton, Eh Hset Ta, Damien Pilhofer, Cole Hurst, Josh Wilson, and Nathan Ewing
- Block 4 – Josh Coulhurst, James Park, Justin Alford, Luke Komisarski, Lucas Burns, Joseph Byun, Winne Hsu, Leyenda Lucero, Tianah Thomas, Elta Raci, Pe Lay Paw, Jessica Buzzard, and Ludee Plaw.
OLD YEARBOOKS FOR SALE!!!
- Do you have a parent, aunt, uncle, or other family member or friend who used to attend LSS? Do you know what years they attended? Well, you can surprise them and have a laugh while you are at it… As we prepare to move to the new LSS building that will be constructed over the next 3 years, we are clearing out 40 years-worth of yearbooks! This is your chance to surprise that family member or friend and own a piece of LSS history – last year’s yearbook is only $40; previous year’s books are an astounding $5! See Ms. Turpin or Mr. Howlett to find out more!
WE NEED YOUR HELP FOR OUR WORK EXPERIENCE STUDENTS!
- Are you an employer or do you know an employer who can offer Work Experience Opportunities to LSS or District students? If so, then please contact the school at 604-534-4171 and let us know – we will make sure that someone from the school’s career department will contact you to get more information and to find out how you are able to help!
- DUE THIS WEEK! We have planned a district Helping Professionals Tour on Thursday February 9, 2017 for students who are interested in finding out more about the myriad of careers in the Helping professions Field such as counselling, social work, therapist, youth worker etc… if you are interested please stop by the office and pick up an application. Applications are due back to Mrs. Blessing by January 31st.
- Engineering Explorations 10 – Saturday, February 4, 2017 – Grade 10 girls – join us for an exciting day of exploration at UBC. Get creative and participate in fun engineering activities, and talk to current engineering students and professionals who will share their stories and experience. Register here.
- Discover Skills BC presents “Toolkit” with a focus on Heavy Mechanical Trades. Interested in learning more? Then click on the link! http://discoverskillsbc.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmail/t/0CD278F88E56AE36/E660B3BD4DC690C944D0DD5392A9C75A
FREE POST-SECONDARY CREDITS?!
- Kwanten XCEL Program: Are you in grade 11 this school year, and looking to get a start on university course credits while you are in high school… for FREE? If so, then the Kwanten XCEL program is the opportunity for you! We will be sharing more information at the Grade 11 Course Planning assembly, while pamphlets should be arriving at the school this week. Please note that this opportunity is NOT open to ISP students. Please see Mr. Moino if you would like to find out moire about the program and if it is right for you. Finally, the District is hosting a parent/student information night for the XCEL program that has been scheduled for Wednesday, March 1 – 7:00 – 8:30PM in the SBO Boardroom.
- NEWEST Grad Cruise UPDATE: Thanks to all of the Grads who have purchased tickets – things are looking much better than they had been at the start of the week. We are waiting for a few more grads who have said they will purchase tickets on Monday – if that is you, then be sure to be come prepared to purchase! We will make an announcement on Monday morning – Stay tuned!
- (REMINDER) Grad Yearbook Comments: All Graduates must have their yearbook comments submitted by Friday, February 10th. You will find a link on the homepage of our school’s website at www.langleysecondary.com to submit your Yearbook Comment. Grads may also scan a QR-Code found on posters throughout the school. Please note that you will need to download a QR-code reader from GooglePlay or the Apple App Store, if you do not already have one.
- Archimedes Talks is a 3-part speaker series held at UBC aimed at talented 11th-graders who are interested in math and science. Students will come to UBC’s Vancouver campus to hear engaging talks by experts, introducing them to fields of active research in math and applied science. Students who are interested should be nominated by a teacher by January 31. Find out more at http://www.math.ubc.ca/Links/ArchimedesTalks/ When: 10:30am-2:00pm on Saturday February 18th, Saturday March 4th, and Saturday April 1st (students to attend all three days) Address: Woodward Instructional Resources Centre (2194 Health Sciences Mall), Room 1 – UBC’s Vancouver campus. UBC is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, Aboriginal persons, and students who would be the first in their family to attend college or university.
- Abbott and Fenner Scholarship Program – Abbott & Fenner Business Consultants are pleased to be able to continue with our scholarship program for the 10th year. We will be awarding up to $1,000 to the winner(s) each year. Scholarship Deadline – June 12, 2017. Application Process – Students will submit an essay on the topic that appears on the scholarship page of our web site: http://www.abbottandfenner.com/scholarships.htm
- The Levitt Scholarship – The Levitt family awards each year’s selected recipient $2,500 in memory of Stacy Levitt who was stuck and killed by a car at 18 years old. This annual high school student award encourages Canadian youth to maintain an approach that is rooted in risk management and injury prevention. The award could be put towards an educational endeavour, engagement in sports, or investment in a travel experience. For more information please visit here and/or click on this attachment: Stacey Levitt Memorial Award 2017
- The Graduate Wardrobe is a non-profit organization established to help students who cannot afford to buy or rent their own grad dresses or suits. If you are worried about affording a grad dress or suit for Grad, please see your counsellor as soon as possible for more information.
FROM THE DRY GRAD COMMITTEE
- ONGOING FUNDRAISERS:
- Save On Foods gift cards We will be selling Save-On foods Gift cards again starting in February. Remember we all need to buy groceries but if you purchase a gift card through the dry grad committee, 8% comes back to us. If you would like to participate, please email Tammy at email@example.com by Feb 13th. Gift cards will be available for pickup on Feb 20th.
- Don’t forget about our accounts at the Bottle Depots, especially with the Superbowl coming up. Just take your empties to the depot and tell them you would like to donate to the LSS Dry Grad account.
Langley Bottle Depot: LSS Dry Grad 2017 Acct #665
Murrayville: LSS Dry Grad 2017 Acct# 108
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK AT LSS
- The Aboriginal Family Day gathering is on Friday, February 17 at HD Stafford, from 5 pm to 8 pm. All are invited and welcome! Please see the poster for more details: Aboriginal Family Gathering
FROM THE TOWNSHIP: Synthetic turf fields are OPEN
- Natural grass fields (not on SEASONAL CLOSURE) are on DISCRETION between the hours of 12p – 4p; there is to be NO use during morning hours for games or practices. You are strongly reminded that the final responsibility for all field inspections rests with the association coaches and/or officials, and must be performed before each game
- All Weather fields remain CLOSED until further notice
(REMINDER) CLUBS AND TEAMS
LSS has NUMEROUS opportunities to get involved in Saints Nation! The more students get involved in their school, the more positive connections they make, the more they enjoy their time here, and the more successful they become in their classes. So, what are you waiting for… get involved! See below for opportunities:
- Math Contest Club UPDATE: There will be no math contest club meeting today and for the next two weeks. The last two meetings of the Math Contest club will be Tues, Feb. 14th and Tues, Feb 21st prior to the actual Math 9-11 contest which will be on Tues, Feb 28th (1st period – during your block 2 class).
- Junior Boys Basketball: Tuesdays and Thursdays practices right after school
- Junior Girls Basketball: Practices on Wednesday and Friday after school.
- Wrestling Team: Come on out and join! Practices are on: Mondays 3:15-5:00 Tuesdays 3:15-5:00 Wednesdays 3:15-5:00 Thursdays 6:00-7:30
- Grad Council: Meetings on Tuesdays at lunch in Room 134. All grads are welcome to attend!
- Gay Straight Alliance: Please join us at the GSA – gender and sexuality alliance – in room 215 at lunch on Tuesdays for some lively and meaningful discussion in a safe environment. Everyone is welcome. The GSA is an important part of our inclusive school and everyone’s voice needs to be heard.
- Knit Wits Club: Thursdays at lunchtime in Room 143. Beginners are always welcome!
- Dance Team: The dance team will be practicing at lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Dance Studio.
- Art Addicts Studio: Youth Unlimited is again running Art Addicts Studio! For more information, please email langleyYU@youthunlimited.com or phone 604-557-6507. www.youthunlimited.com. Please pick up a permission form in the office! No membership fees. All art supplies provided.
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- January 30: Semester 2 Classes begin; timetables handed it in Homeroom at 8:30 am
- January 31: Piping and Plumbing Graduation, Room 95, 7 pm
- February 1: Collaboration Afternoon, Students dismissed at 1:30 pm
- February 6: Grade Assemblies for Course Planning
- February 7: Course Planning Evening and Open House, ALL Welcome! 6:30 pm
- February 9: Grad Cruise
- February 10: Semester One Report Cards Issued
- February 13: Family Day, School CLOSED
- February 14: Valentine’s Day!
- February 15: Lockdown Drill, in the a.m.
- February 17: Aboriginal Family Gathering, at HD Stafford, 5-8 pm
- February 22: Pink Shirt Day!
- February 24: District Professional Development Day, Students NOT in Session
- February 25: LSS Musical theatre Begins: “The Little Mermaid” – 2 pm and 7 pm shows
- February 28: Math Contest, Period 1