January 4, 2020
WELCOME BACK TO LSS IN 2020!!!
While we think about all of the newness of saying “2020” and how strange it still sounds to say, we also ask you to remind your student that we are effectively at the end, as well… with only 3 weeks left in Semester 1 and only 2 1/2 weeks left in regular classes, it is important for our students to be ready to start classes and get back to their Habits of Success on Monday, January 6! One way is to start getting them back to their usual routines, the most important one to start being bedtime. When we get enough sleep, we have more energy and our minds work more clearly. So, talk to your student about getting to bed (with no electronics in the room!) back to normal times, a bit earlier than during the Break, and this will be one step towards them getting ready to finish Semester 1 strongly!
- REMINDER! With Grad 2020 getting ever closer, it is time to think about grad wear and accessories. If you need some assistance, please see one of our Counsellors, who can contact local groups who can help. One such group is The Fairy Godmother Foundation – a Langley-based organization dedicated to providing grad wear and accessories to those grads who may not be fortunate enough to afford them.
- If you know of grads who may be in this situation, please refer them asap (and confidentially) to an LSS Counsellor, Ms Kercher or Ms Jackson, our Aboriginal Youth and Family Worker. For further information, the website is: email@example.com
- Referral Deadline is Feb 15, 2020 … the number of referrals is limited so please ask any grads to see one of the above people asap.
- Fairy Godmother Poster
- REMINDER! KPU ACCEPTANCE UPDATE
- Conditional offers for Open Intake programs for Fall 2020 have been sent out and students have been notified by email. If your students have any questions, they can email firstname.lastname@example.org and our team will be happy to assist them.
- For Fall 2020 Limited Intake programs, conditional offers will be mailed in late February or early March. All Limited Intake applications and supporting documentation must be received by KPU by the application deadline of March 1, 2020.
- Information about Scholarships and Awards will be mailed to your school in mid-January 2020. Please encourage applicants to register for our Entrance Scholarships and Awards Application Workshop, which will be held at KPU Surrey on Tuesday, February 11 from 5:00-6:00pm.
- Finally, we hope you and your students will mark your calendars for the following upcoming events for prospective KPU students:
- Saturday, February 8 – KPU Surrey Open House
- Friday, February 14 – KPU Langley Discovery Day
- Friday, February 21 – Trades Discovery Day at KPU Tech
- Dry Grad Update
- THIS WEEK! The next Dry Grad meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 7 at 7:15 pm.
- February 29 – casino night fundraiser
- There is a Facebook event page for the Dry Grad event. Parents & students are welcome to join at https://www.facebook.com/groups/896435014073566/
- Encorp Recycling – we have an account set up at the ENCORP Recycling.
- IN PERSON drop off of sorted items to the depot at 20137 Industrial Ave, Langley City. Please mention LSS Dry Grad 2020 or account #794 when you drop off your sorted returns.
- EXPRESS DROP OFF to ANY Encorp Recycling location please use phone number 604-790-0291 when checking in at the on-site kiosk. Remember to bring items in a CLEAR bag
- THIS WEEK! The next Dry Grad meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 7 at 7:15 pm.
SAINTS SPIRIT IN THE WEEK BEFORE THE BREAK!
- LSS students and staff were focused right into the last week of school before the Break with tonnes of activities! See below for some of the events and themes that were a part of our Spirit Week!
THE ANNUAL CHRISTMAS ASSEMBLY DID NOT DISAPPOINT!!
- Another highlight of the final week: A huge thank you to all of the staff and students who were a part of the successful annual Christmas Assembly! Each year, staff get together in different groups to give our students a final experience before they go off on the Christmas/Holiday Break. In essence, this is our gift, from staff, to our students. See below for some of the different activities and presentations!
LSS FUNDRAISES FOR OUR COMMUNITY!
- (Courtesy of Ms. Sewell and the AVID 12 Team) “A HUGE thank you from the AVID 12 elves – through all our fundraising efforts, we raised over $2000 for Adopted Family Christmas Hampers!!!!! This is a record-breaking amount and is going to make SUCH a difference for families in our community ❤.”
- See below for some photos of AVID 12 getting the hampers ready!
- A HUGE thank you and congratulations also goes out to Me to We staff and students for fundraising more than $440 for the Langley Youth Hub just before the Break!
- The definition of an “LSS Saint” is an ordinary person who does extraordinary things… we clearly are a school full of Saints doing extraordinary things for our community!
LSS MAKES LEARNING MORE VISIBLE AND ACTIVE!
- Each week, we will highlight different classes throughout the school that have students being more active, and that help make the students’ learning more visible – one of our three big goals for this school year See below for this week’s highlights:
- Mock Trial in Ms. Florko’s Law 12.
- Ms. Pagnanini‘s Life Science 11 students dissecting clams:
- Here are a couple of Junior Science “roller coaster” photos from Mr. Nicol‘s class – scientifically tested by our Physics 12 students!
- Mindful Mondays with yoga in Ms. Florko‘s Active Living class! We had a special guest-Leonarda – teach us some more challenging poses.
- Mock Trial in Ms. Florko’s Law 12.
REMINDER! TWO NEW AFTER-SCHOOL CLUBS COMING TO LSS!
- Wellness Wednesdays! If you are looking for something to do after school on Wednesdays, we have a female’s fitness club after school from 3 pm to 4 pm unless noted otherwise! Sign up will be on the fitness room door. No experience required; join us for good company, good music, and good workouts 😅! Starting this Wednesday, December 18.
- The LSS Soccer Club hopes to have the club running by January 2020 in Mr. Labine’s Portable #2 – Fridays after school from 3 pm to 4:30 pm.
STARTS THIS WEEK!: LANGLEY EDUCATION CENTRE (LEC) STARTING WINTER SESSION!
- Langley Education Centre is the Langley School District’s multi-generational high school, offering grade 10-12 courses for students from “16 to 60+”. Winter Session classes start on January 6, 2020 and there are still spaces available. If you would like to complete your Adult Graduation, upgrade high school courses before you attend post-secondary, or gain more confidence by taking Literacy courses in English, Math, Social Studies or Computers, check out your options by phoning 604-534-7155 or visiting lecworks4me.ca – or by clicking on the following attachment: LEC – Overview
REMINDER: LSS TUTORING AVAILABLE!
- Starting October 16, LSS Graduate and current UFV student Conner Frey, and Ms. Wood and Ms. Sewell have teamed up to have Leadership students provide a FREE student tutoring service, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays after school! See Ms. Wood or Ms. Sewell in Rooms A210 or A211 to find out more!
REMINDER: PANAGO PIZZA FUNDRAISER
- Langley Secondary PAC is selling Panago Certificates to raise funds to support school initiatives. For each $12 Panago certificate you buy, you can…
- order ANY MEDIUM PIZZA at ANY PANAGO LOCATION, including the GLUTEN FREE option
- use more than one certificate at one time, making these certificates ideal for birthday parties, team parties, Friday night hangouts, etc…
- The only restriction is that the certificate should be used within 90 days of the date stamped on the certificate.
- There are 50 certificates available each month. Certificates will be distributed “first come, first served” based on when payment is received. You will receive an email to confirm that your payment has been received and when your certificates will be delivered to the school office.
- Orders can be placed through this link: LSS Panago Pizza Certificate Order Form. If you have any questions, please contact Christine Hylands at email@example.com or at (604) 514-8373. Thank you in advance for your support!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
- Writers’ Corner is happening on Wednesdays after school in the library lab. Write and Share your novels and short stories with us. There will be snacks!
- The Langley United Wrestling Team is up and running once again. This Langley team has created provincial and national champions in past years. The Langley United Wrestling team is open to students from all secondary schools. Practices will occur at Langley Secondary School on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 4:30pm and Thursdays at 6:00pm; no experience necessary!
- Join the Alliance for Sustainability Club! – Monday’s at lunch, this alliance will work towards creating a greener school and spreading environmental awareness. Come support the movement and share your ideas. Everyone is welcome! Come to room A202 Monday at lunch! This can also count towards your volunteer hours!
- Athletics and Physical Health and Education – Interested in keeping up-to-date with what is happening in the world of Athletics and Physical Health and Education (PHE) at LSS? Then be sure to follow @langleysaints on Instagram!
- LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance (GSA) – meetings at lunch every Tuesday in Ms. Lee’s rm. #A112– This is a safe space for students to hang out and have open discussion. Anyone is welcome to attend
- Grad Council: Meeting every Tuesday at lunch in the Small Gym.
- Dance Class: Free open dance class Tuesdays at Lunch in the dance studio. All Students Welcome. Hip Hop, Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary and Zumba (Starts Sept 24th).
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club runs Wednesdays at lunch in Room 253 (above old library/office). A great place to share your
- Wii Wednesday: at lunch with Ms.Hajdecki Rm # A183
- Tabletop Thursdays; Thursdays at lunch in Rm # A183 with Ms. Hajdecki
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 184 (Ms. Decambra’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- Model UN Club: the LSS Model United Nations Club is starting. New members are encouraged to join us this Thursdayat lunch in Room A215 (Ms.Cunningham’s).
- Anime Club Friday is in Room #A183 at lunch with Ms.Hajdecki
FROM THE DISTRICT
- Information About School Status During Inclement Weather
- Snow closures and power outages are an annual occurrence in Langley School District. So where do you go to get information about the status of schools during periods of inclement weather? If you are able to access the internet via computer or smartphone, current information about Langley schools can be accessed on all school websites orwww.sd35.bc.ca. Updates are also posted to Twitter @LangleySchools and Facebook at www.facebook.com/langleyschooldistrict. If you don’t have internet connectivity but your phone is working, call a relative or friend in an area that has not been affected by the storm and ask them to check the district website for you. Local radio stations are also informed of school status in Langley. Tune in to CKWX 1130AM, CKNW 980AM, Country Radio 107.1FM, Pulse 107.7 or CBC 690AM or 88.1FM for updates.
- Please note that Langley District schools are all considered ‘open’ until a decision to close is required. Decisions on school closures are usually made by 6:30am. As always, it is a parent’s decision whether to send their child to school based on safety and individual circumstances. If you feel it is unsafe for you or your child to travel to or attend an open school for any reason, please keep your child home and report an absence to the school.
- Pregnant and Parenting Youth January calendar – Please see the attachment to learn more about upcoming events in January! January 2020
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Jan 6: First Day of Classes after Christmas/Winter Break
- Jan 15: Piping and Plumbing Orientation, Library Learning Commons, 6:30 pm
- Jan 16: Evening of Dance, Small Gym, 7 pm
- Jan 20: PAC Meeting, 7 pm
- Jan 22: Last day of Regular Semester 1 classes
- Jan 23: “I” Day
- Jan 24: “Taste of LSS” for incoming Grade 8 students
- Feb 20: ReachOut Psychosis Presentation, Large Gym, 9:30 am
- Feb 24: PAC Meeting, 7 pm
- Feb 29: Dry Grad Event: Casino Night Fundraiser
- Apr 7: Ted Swan Presentation, 9:30 am
- Apr 27: PAC Meeting, 7 pm
- May 25: PAC AGM, 7 pm
- June 17: Grad Commencement Ceremony, CLA, 7 pm
- June 19: Grad Dinner & Dance, Coast Hotel, 6:30 pm