June 10, 2018
- Mandatory Grad Meeting – The LAST Meeting for Grads will happen in Flex on Wednesday, June 13 in the Small Gym. We will review the details for June 21 (Grad Rehearsal, Grad Walk, Grad Ceremony, etc.) and June 22 (Grad Banquet) to ensure that everyone is prepared to have two positive and memorable days!
- REMINDER – Grad Parents “Dessert/Coffee Only”: Tickets are still on sale this week at lunchtime at $15 each. These tickets allow Grad Parents entry to the Grad Dinner Dance at 7:30pm. This week is the LAST CHANCE to purchase tickets!
- REMINDER – Grade 12 Grad Ceremony Reception – Call-Out to Grad Parents! A tradition at LSS tradition is for the parents of grads is to bring a “finger food” dish to CLA for the Grad Ceremony Reception. Some examples of dishes include: egg rolls, sushi, pizza, meatballs, cookies, and other baked goods/desserts. Of course, don’t let this list limit you – the options are as varied as you want them to be! How it works: when you come to the Grad Ceremony on June 21, please bring your “finger food” dish to the reception room at the back of CLA before you grab your seat – it’s that simple! And, of course, thank you in advance for your help in carrying on this LSS tradition!
- REMINDER – Grads, you are reminded that you must be in position to graduate, have all fees paid, as well as all overdue textbooks/library books either returned to the Library or fines paid prior to picking up Ceremony Tickets or purchasing Grad Dinner Dance Tickets.
- REMINDER – Grad Ceremony Tickets: If you have not yet picked up your three complimentary ceremony tickets, please do so in the Main Office at lunchtime.
- FINAL REMINDER – Grad Stage Comments – It is time to start thinking about what your Grad wants said as she/he crosses the stage! If you are in a 2nd Semester English 12 or Comm 12 class, you will be doing this exercise in class. If you are NOT, then please go to the link below https://lss.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/news/ – Under “News” for April 6, 2018, please click on the link there to read more about the criteria, and to write your Grad Stage Comment!
HELP NEEDED FOR GRAD RECEPTION ON JUNE 21!
- You have hopefully already read above that Grad parents are asked to continue the LSS tradition of bringing “finger foods” to the ceremony for the “after ceremony” Reception, dropping off food when they first arrive.
- The second part of this tradition is asking for volunteer parents of students in grades 9-11 to collect the food and organize it for the Reception. If you are able to volunteer, arriving at CLA by about 5:45 pm, collecting food from Grad parents, and then organizing and staying until about 10 pm (or any part of the evening at all – early or late shift), please email me at email@example.com – we are looking for anywhere from 6 to 8 parent volunteers… the more the merrier, I say!
CORE COMPETENCIES FINAL ASSESSMENT/REFLECTION
- Grade 9 and 10 students will be planning and writing their Final Assessment/Reflection this Thursday and Friday in their Block 1 classes and Flex. This will be reported on in their Final Report card at the end of June. It is important that all grade 9 and 10 students are in attendance to complete this Assessment/Reflection.
- Thursday, June 14 – Review Evidence and Complete a Plan
- Friday, June 15 – Complete the Final Self-Reflection
NUMERACY ASSESSMENT – AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR GRADE 11 STUDENTS
- The Ministry of Education has added a new Graduation Requirement to the new Graduation Program. As part of ensuring that LSS students meet these graduation requirements, all grade 11 students at LSS MUST write the Numeracy Assessment this June.
- Please mark your calendars according to the schedule below if you are in grade 11 and planning on graduating in British Columbia:
- Friday, June 22nd 9am – 12pm – Last Name A-E
- Monday, June 25th 12pm-3pm – Last Name F-J
- Tuesday, June 26th 8:30am-11:30am – Last Name K-M
- Tuesday, June 26th 12pm-3pm – Last Name N-Si
- Wednesday, June 27th 12pm-3pm – Last Name Sm-Z
IMPORTANT REPORT CARD INFORMATION!
- Report cards for all students will be available to view on Thursday, June 28, 2018.
- Attached are instructions for accessing the MyEd BC parent portal to retrieve your students’ report cards. Please try to access the parent portal before reports are published. We are anticipating a high volume of parent help calls and emails when report cards are published, so any parent issues we can resolve during June will enable us to keep wait times to a minimum. Please note that all emails and calls will be processed in the order they are received. Family Portal-Report Cards
FINE ARTS WEEK AT LSS!
- Congratulations to the Fine Arts Department for an amazing display of student hard work and talent this past week, as they hosted the final Music Concert, One Act Student Plays, and an Evening of Dance, respectively, on three consecutive evenings! See below for a taste of what the Fine Arts brings to LSS and to the lives of each of these students.
EVENING OF INSPIRATION
- This past week, the Langley School District celebrated several students from around the District who admirable demonstrate the District’s Core Values of Excellence, Integrity, Courage, and Community. Each Secondary school in Langley nominated a limited number of students; LSS was able to nominate ten students. Congratulations to Nathan Bowick, Connor Frey, Meeka Gay, Stephanie Gilchrest, Kalyn Hartmann, Liisa Hazell, Hannah Kim, Luke Komisarski, Brikenda Konjuhi, and Jarrod Martin for being such excellent people and ambassadors of LSS!
- This past Friday, Grad parents hosted the annual Grad Pancake Breakfast to celebrate a fantastic final year of high school for the graduates of 2018! Pancakes, sausages, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, and coffee were served to hungry graduates; parents also invited LSS staff as a thank you for all of their work this year and over the past four years with their students. Thank you to Mrs. Bowick and her band of hardy and friendly volunteers for making the morning such a huge success!
AVID STUDENTS VOLUNTEER AT SPORTS DAY!
- This past week, 16 LSS AVID students volunteered at Nicomekl Elementary’s sports day! See below how much fun it can be to volunteer and make a difference in the local community!
THIS WEEK! JAPAN 2020 TRIP – INFORMATION MEETING
- This is a special invitation to attend an information meeting for the March 2020 LSS Japan Trip. This trip is open to LSS students, whether they take Japanese class or not. There are often a few grads or parents who also decide to join us for this amazing experience. Join the LSS tradition!!
- What are next steps? There will be meeting on Thursday June 14 at 6PM in the LSS Library, to provide more details about this opportunity, answer any questions you may have, and give you everything that you need to get signed up. More information is available from Mr. Janzen. firstname.lastname@example.org
YEARBOOKS READY FOR DISTRIBUTION!
- Yearbooks will be distributed to all grades starting on Monday, June 11th at lunchtime only in Room 124.
- ***If you did not pre-order a Yearbook and would like one, it’s not too late! You may still purchase a yearbook for $60. Please bring cash or your online payment receipt to Room 124 at lunchtime to purchase a yearbook.
LSS IN THE NEWS
- 04/31 – GALLERY: BC High School Track & Field championships underway in Langley
- 05/03 – VIDEO: Langley athletes perform well at provincial championships
REMINDER – ENTREPRENEURSHIP COURSE IN LANGLEY!
- YELL is a specific program the Langley School District has the opportunity to partner with. The District will be creating an Entrepreneurial course for any students in grades 10-12 in the District who are interested. The course will run one day/ week throughout the year after school. This is a very special opportunity as it brings with it some rich mentorship pieces that the District couldn’t offer in a regular course. This course is is for students who are not just “business” types – but “big ideas” type students who have dreams of doing something different, creating, designing…..and getting their ideas out to authentic audiences. Attached, please find two electronic information pieces to share out that talk about the Information Night coming up Tuesday, June 5. YELL Postcard Brochure – May 2018 – YELL Info Session Flyer – May 2018
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS – Throughout the school year, we will have important information on students clubs and teams in this section of the Scoop! If you want to meet new people and have fun while learning something new, then read below… and join an LSS club or team!
- Makerspace Club: Now meets on Mondays, at lunchtime, in the Makerspace room (across from Woodwork). Please see Mr. Powell for any questions.
- LSS Book Club: Attention all book lovers. On Thursdays, the LSS Book Club meets in Room 220 at lunchtime to discuss new books we’re reading, talk about our love of literature and challenge each other to try new books. Feel free to join us!
- Geeky Hang Out Days: Please join Ms. Hajdecki for Geeky Hang Out Days in Room 123!
- Magic the Gathering Mondays
- Wii U Wednesdays
- Tabletop Thursdays
- Featured Anime Fridays
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 145. (Ms. Lee’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- Youth Unlimited Hangar 17: Wednesday’s at the Langley Airport! Creative life & drop in (free art program and drop-in centre) from 3:30-5:30pm. Community meal (free supper!) from 5:30-6:30pm. Spiritual life (a safe space to discuss life, faith and deeper questions) from 6:30-7:30pm. Shuttle bus pick-up at Langley Secondary at 3:25pm. Shuttle rides home are offered at 6:30pm and 7:45pm (waivers are required and are available in the school office!). For more information: 604-557-6507 or email@example.com
- GSA Alliance: The LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance will be meeting on Tuesdays at lunchtime in the Drama Room. All students are welcome to attend!
- LSS Dance Team: Would you like to try out for the LSS Dance Team and perform jazz and hip hop? The Dance Team practices at lunchtime twice a week and performs at various events! All dance levels are welcome! Practices take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at lunch in the new Dance Studio.
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club meetings are on Wednesdays at lunch in Room 213 with Ms. Wood and Ms. Sewell.
FROM THE LANGLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- The 13th Annual Langley School District Foundation Golf Tournament – As spring makes its tentative, yet intrepid way into summer, it is time to think about the 13th Annual Langley School District Foundation Golf Tournament. As always, this is an event not to be missed. Often described as one of the best in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley, the Foundation is proud to invite you to Redwoods Golf Course to participate in a day of golf on a gasp-inducing track. Here you will enjoy a lively tailgate party prior to tee-off, dozens of snacks and contests on the course, and a well-earned steak and salmon BBQ dinner on the 19th hole. Prizes are of quality and quantity and the famous silent auction boasts an array of “start the car” deals. Proceeds go to ensure that all our students who come to school hungry every day receive nutritious breakfasts, mid-morning snacks, lunches and backpacks filled with food to take home to hungry families. We are also introducing the unprecedented vertical gardens into our schools – miraculous systems that require no land, soil, insecticides, weeding, maintenance or vast quantities of water. They produce huge crops year-round in any temperature or climate.
- The Golf Tournament package is attached including sponsorship opportunities, registration form and silent auction donations. You can also go online at www.langleyschooldistrictfoundation.com to register or sponsor. Thank you for your ongoing support! We could not make learning UNFORGETTABLE for every student without you. packages
- Langley Youth Hub – Please find the Langley Youth Hub calendar for June 2018 attached. I have also attached our posters for Friends of Dorothy, our LGBTQ2S+ Wellness Night with Dr.Gupta, as well as a poster for our Tuesday night medical clinics at the Hub. Friends of Dorothy Flyer New 2018 – LGBTQ2S+WELLNESSNIGHT JUNE 2018 – MEDICAL CLINIC
- The Langley Centennial Museum is looking for volunteers to help out during our Canada Day event on July 1st. The volunteer responsibilities would mainly be assisting in set-up and take-down, working with children at craft tables and various other stations, supporting the entertainers before they head on stage, and general clean-up/assistance. The volunteers would work from around 8 am to 5 pm and will be provided free cupcakes and water as part of the celebration. The deadline for volunteer submission is June 25th, but if any interest trickles in shortly after this deadline it would not be a huge problem. My contact number is 604-533-6090 ext. 5005, and you can either contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
June 13: Grad 2018 Assembly, Small Gym, Flex (9:45 am)
June 13 & 14: AVID Final Portfolio Presentations, Library, All Day
June 14 & 15: Grade 9 and 10 Core Competency Final Assessment
June 20: Last day of regular classes
June 21: I Day – Teachers invite students who still have a chance of passing a course
June 21: Grad Rehearsal, CLA, 10 am; LSS Grad Walk
June 21: LSS Grad Ceremony, CLA
June 22: Piping & Plumbing Bootcamp
June 22: Provincial Numeracy Assessment, Session #1, Gr. 11 Students w/ last names A-E
June 22: LSS Grad Dinner and Dance, Coast Hotel
June 27: LSS Awards Night