June 14, 2020
- THIS WEEK! Grad Ceremony Video to be released! Be sure to watch the Grad video when it is completed! We will be sending out a link on the evening of June 17, the original date of the Graduation Ceremony, so be sure to let family and friends know to save the date and prepare to watch Grad…. It will be as if they were there in person to witness it for themselves!
- DRY GRAD MESSAGE:
- Dear Langley Secondary Grads;
- Unfortunately, due to the current social restrictions, the Dry Grad Committee had to make the very difficult decision to cancel this year’s Dry Grad event. There were some hopes that the situation would change in time for the event, but that is not the case. All students who purchased a $50 ticket will be refunded. More details on this coming soon.
- As a way to acknowledge and celebrate your milestone, the remaining funds that were raised for Dry Grad will be used to provide a $20 gift card for each of you. The gift cards will be mailed to you at the end of June. Alternatively, you can also donate your $20 gift to the Langley Secondary Lunch Program.
- Please click on this link and fill out the form to choose your gift card or to donate your portion to the LSS Lunch Program: Dry Grad – Giftcards for the LSS Grads
- ***TO RECEIVE A GIFTCARD, you MUST complete this form by no later than
- 11:59pm on FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2020.***
- ***TO RECEIVE A GIFTCARD, you MUST complete this form by no later than
- Anyone who doesn’t replied by the deadline will have their portion donated to the LSS lunch program.
- If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding the gift card or donation, please contact Christine Hylands at firstname.lastname@example.org . For all other inquiries regarding Dry Grad, please contact Kristina Phonmixay at email@example.com .
- Thank you so much for your understanding. We are so proud of you!
- Langley Secondary Dry Grad Committee
- Grad Song – A beautiful song from the U.S. for the grads of 2020: https://youtu.be/vJBKAYRTeBU
ON-GOING LEARNING PLAN – FINAL REPORT CARDS COMING SOON
- Secondary Report Card Marks (from the District)
- Attached please find correspondence regarding secondary report card marks for distribution to families with students currently attending secondary schools: Letter to Parents-Guardians – Secondary Report Cards 2020Jun12
- Instructions for Parents – Access to Progress Reports via MyEdBC (from the District)
- Principals are asked to send home the attached instructions for parents on how and where to find IEP Progress Reports in the parent portal: Access to Progress Reports – MyEdBC Parent Portal
NEW! STUDENT AND PARENT RESOURCES FOR THE SUMMER
- The Government of Canada’s $350 million Emergency Community Support Fund is now open. The Emergency Community Support Fundsupports community organizations helping vulnerable people during the COVID-19 crisis. Community organizations may seek funds to undertake a wide range of activities and to serve a wide range of vulnerable groups.
- S.U.C.E.S.S Youth Employment Connect – Training for Jobs is going digital! Brochure YEC-TFJ general (3 locations) (002) Youth from ages 17 – 29 are welcome to join our digital program. The Marketing Skills and Sales skills program will be carried on Digitally. The program will start June 8, 2020. For 3 weeks there will be online presentations and discussions like resume writing, job search skills, labour market information Mock/Practice Interviews, barrier discussions, Action Plans to name just a few. There will also be Marketing and Sales training modules that can be done at their home and will provide certificates when finished that can be added to their resume.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of South Coast BC – Employment Now on-line training FREE 3-week program (flyer attached) Youth from ages 17 – 29 are welcome Employment Now Poster – Online services – April 2020
- LCSS – Fathers Group (flyer attached) Being Dad flyer
- Langley Parent Engagement Session – For parents or caregivers who support children with extra needs. Next session Friday June 5 at 1:00pm. Please share amongst your families and networks. It is still free and families can register at any time, even during the call. Once they register, they will receive the link for the call.Facebook Event Page https://www.facebook.com/events/2629465553965145/ Parent Engagement – June 3
- COVID-19 Emergency Rent Supplement Program for Métis MNBC recognizes that citizens have been deeply impacted by the on-going COVID-19 pandemic. Through funding support provided by the Federal Government, MNBC will be providing a temporary rent supplement to Métis Nation citizens who are currently renting their homes. For more information, please contact MNBC Toll Free at 1-800-940-1150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MCFD has developed a number of measures to support youth and young adults in and from government care. Read the latest here.
- COVID-19 has highlighted literacy inequities across our district. For children and youth who normally access literature through their school or public library, the opportunities to read, have dwindled. The Langley Literacy Network pulled together partners, Langley School District #35 and other community agencies and reached out for financial support. Envision Financial and Langley District Parent Advisory Council both came in with support for this project. We are pleased to say that we are providing 425 books to Langley students who are facing an especially hard time right now. We have also committed to enhancing the lending library at Vanguard Secondary, in support of adolescent literacy. We are so proud of our community for the responsive action taken!
- Job Postings
- LFVAS – Aboriginal ECE/Respite Worker & Aboriginal Head Start Preschool Coordinator (attached) Aboriginal ECE Respite Worker May2020 – AHS Preschool Coordinator May2020
- Langley Meadows Community Association – summer daycamp (attached) Summer 2020 Job Posting
- BCEdAccess – job posting (attached) BCEdAccess Job Description – Conference Coordinator
REMINDER! YEARBOOK UPDATE
- Yearbooks will not be ready for the end of this school year. This means that we will be handing them out in the fall.
- The short answer as to why this is the case (with a bit of context) is that because the Photography classes are key in creating the pages for the yearbook, and because they need to use the computers in our school due to privacy laws around all of these photos and the processing power of these computers, it will be up to staff to finish the yearbook. The result is that it will not be completed until past the original deadlines and not be ready for delivery until fall. We will let people know through the Scoop more specific details as they become available, in the fall.
- For grade 12 students, we will be sure to send you information in September about when and how to pick-up your yearbook.
- Finally, yearbooks are on sale until June 19th – $65 each and will be distributed in September. They can order online here: https://sd35.schoolcashonline.com/
REMINDER! – HOCKEY ACADEMY IS BACK!
- LSS is proud to announce the return of the Hockey Academy in September 2020! We are looking forward to having another opportunity for students to pursue their passions while attending school. The Hockey Academy has had a long and positive history at LSS. With the return of the Hockey Academy, LSS now is back to having 3 sports Academies (Hockey, Baseball and Softball) that allow LSS students to excel in their sports and academics. There are still spots available for students to register; if you are interested, please contact Mr. Bannister (email@example.com) for more information.
REMINDER! – SUMMER SESSION REGISTRATION OPEN!
- Online Registration Opened Monday – May 25th
- The only options for open registration this year are Full Credit grade 10-12 classes. The full details, including the format for this year’s “Blended Summer Learning” along with the specific classes that are offered can be found at:
- Langley School District students get priority registration for Blended Summer Learning classes from Monday, May 25th to Sunday, June 7th. From June 8th onward, registration is open to all eligible students from other districts.
- Blended Summer Learning
- The “Blended” part of Summer Learning this year is a mix of Moodle, Teams and opportunities for in-person assistance (optional for students) at REMSS. Students can complete their whole course even if they are unable to attend the in-person sessions, but we know it will give them a greater chance for success if they are able to attend in person for their scheduled times.
- Other Details
- You will find the most information if you go to the website linked above (http://sd35summersession.ca/).
- Students will only be able to sign up for one Full Credit class this year due to the schedule and also due to the intense nature of Blended Summer Learning in the short time available.
REMINDER: COVID-19 – RESOURCES TO OVERCOME HARDSHIPS
- Family & Community Support Webpage
- District and school staff are continuing to provide support for our families during this challenging time. The District website has a new Family & Community Support page to help parents/guardians cope with the impacts of COVID-19. This page includes links to resources including a comprehensive guide developed by the Langley Children Committee, containing health, housing, and financial support information. On this page you will also find a new weekly blog launched by Gail Markin, who is our District Teacher for Social Emotional Learning. She will be covering a new health and wellness topic every time. Thank you to our community partners for their ongoing support. Visit the page here
REMINDER: MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT – LSS COUNSELLOR CONTACTS
- Of course, an amazing Mental health Resource at your disposal is our very own LSS Counsellors. Please do not hesitate to email or call if your student needs support.
- Contact information is as follows:
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
DISTRICT & COMMUNITY NEWS
- On Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, check out the following hashtag for photos and ideas from around the District!
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- June is National Indigenous History Month
- June 21 – National Indigenous Peoples Day; Father’s Day
- June 25 – Final Report Cards Issued
- June 29 – July 3 – Main Office Open, except for Canada Day
- July 1 – Canada Day (Happy 153rd Birthday, Canada!)
- July 6 – Main Office CLOSED FOR SUMMER for move to New Building
- Aug 24 – Main Office Re-Opens in New Building for 2020/21 School Year