June 24, 2018
- Congratulations to all of the LSS Graduates of 2018! This past week was GRAD WEEK and what a week it was! Between the Grad Walk and Ceremony on Thursday, June 21 and the Grad Dinner and Dance on Friday, June 22, grads had so many memorable moments! Of course, as you look at the photos below, please know that the amount of work done by LSS staff behind the scenes was massive! Without that commitment, time, and care, none of what you see below would have been possible. Thanks to all of the LSS staff who contributed, either directly or indirectly, to the amazing journey of our LSS students over the past four years, culminating with these past two days. See below for some of the photos of the these final two days last week:
- Dry Grad 2019! To all 2019 Grads and their families. It’s never too early to start thinking about Grad 2019 celebrations. Please join the Facebook Group called “LSS Dry Grad 2019” so we can start sharing activity and fundraising ideas (and please add any other 2019 grads and their families that you know). For those people who are not on Facebook but still want to be involved, keep an eye on the Saints Scoop for notice of the first meeting in September. Hope to see lots of people there.”
- Post-Secondary Institution (PSI) Selections – July 13
- Grade 12 students are encouraged to visit the StudentTranscripts website before July 13, 2018 to make their PSI selections. Admission offers may be delayed or denied if students do not authorize the release of their transcript data.
- For Students: StudentTranscripts Service
- Students can access the StudentTranscripts Service at: www.studenttranscripts.gov.bc.ca/. To get started, they must first create a Basic BCeID account to access their transcript information.
- For details on creating a Basic BCeID account or resolving forgotten passwords, visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/transcripts-and-certificates/studenttranscripts-services-help.
- Students need only complete their PSI selections once in the current school year. Students may add to their selections at any time up toJuly 13, 2018. Students may make up to 25 selections free of charge within six months after completing their last course. After six months, students will be charged $10 per transcript, payable on the StudentTranscript Service.
- To select PSIs, students must login to the StudentTranscripts Dashboard and under Transcripts & Certificates, select Send/Order Your Transcript. Students locate their desired PSIs from the list and select (dependent on the PSI’s current process) the option to “Send interim and final marks when they are available” or “Send final marks when they are available”.
- More detailed instructions for the StudentTranscripts Service are available here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/transcripts-and-certificates/studenttranscripts-services-help/my-dashboard#9-2
CONTINUES THIS WEEK! NUMERACY ASSESSMENT – AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR GRADE 11 STUDENTS
- The Ministry of Education has added a new Graduation Requirement to the new Graduation Program. As part of ensuring that LSS students meet these graduation requirements, all grade 11 students at LSS MUST write the Numeracy Assessment this June.
- Please mark your calendars according to the schedule below if you are in grade 11 and planning on graduating in British Columbia:
- Monday, June 25th 12pm-3pm – Last Name F-J
- Tuesday, June 26th 8:30am-11:30am – Last Name K-M
- Tuesday, June 26th 12pm-3pm – Last Name N-Si
- Wednesday, June 27th 12pm-3pm – Last Name Sm-Z
THIS WEEK! IMPORTANT REPORT CARD INFORMATION!
- Report cards for all students will be available to view on Thursday, June 28, 2018.
- Attached are instructions for accessing the MyEd BC parent portal to retrieve your students’ report cards. Please try to access the parent portal before reports are published. We are anticipating a high volume of parent help calls and emails when report cards are published, so any parent issues we can resolve during June will enable us to keep wait times to a minimum. Please note that all emails and calls will be processed in the order they are received. Family Portal-Report Cards
- Please note that we will NOT be mailing out report cards not picked up.
GYM CLASS HEROES FOR SEMESTER 2!
- Congratulations to the students below who excelled in some aspect of PE, including in terms of attendance, participation, and attitude!
- BLOCK 1– David Kim Joel Paulokangas Joshua Franklin
Nick Gilbert Kolby McMurray Nick Station
Chris Jung Owen Buxton Vaca
- BLOCK 2– Alia Pidgeon Angel Aswigui Ari Burik
Nicole Daniels Austin Fadear Josh Goeson
- BLOCK 3– Alexa Adams Breanna Macgregor Steven Neff
Giulio Garofalo Joseph Smith Zoe Knauer
Jordan Phonmixay Eh The Lay Moo Nuengrutai Banthao
Lay Lah Eh
- BLOCK 4– Jordyn Briggs Alexis Burgess
Kaiden Ross David Delgado Ethan Tivy
FIRST ANNUAL BRASS WASHING PARTY!
- The first annual I Day Brass Washing Party was a huge success. Some members of the Concert Band washed out all the school owned brass instruments plus some woodwind mouthpieces. Huge thanks to Madi, Dwayne, Jason, Jay, Dakota, Logan and Alex!
PLEASE HAND IN ALL BOOKS THIS WEEK! MESSAGE FROM THE LIBRARY:
- Library materials MUST be returned ASAP for inventory purposes. New library books can no longer be signed out.
FINAL REMINDER! OWN LSS’ CHITTY MUSICAL ON DVD!!!
- Did you have fun during the LSS performance of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Now you can own your copy of the student performance! DVDs are ready to be purchased and picked up – please contact Mrs. Thorpe with your $15 to get your copy at email@example.com!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
- Redesign of the ERASE website e Ministry is redesigning the ‘ERASE Bullying’ website to address a broader range of issues including safe schools, mental health, and wellness, sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI), cyberbullying and online safety. To help inform the new look, please share this voluntary card sort- ing activity with sta , teachers, parents and students https://educ.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort/erasee deadline for participation is June 30. Contact David Cusack firstname.lastname@example.org you have any questions.
- In addition, the Ministry is conducting a short survey to better understand the needs of students and parents on these topics. e survey should take about 10 minutes to complete.
- For students: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/erase-student-survey
- For parents: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/erase-parent-survey
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
- Most (if not all!) clubs at LSS are now done for the school year. Think about the club that YOU might want at LSS, and consider starting one up for September! All you need is a staff sponsor and a place to meet. Then, let me know and I will advertise the club for you so that you can bring in as many students as possible – you never know what new friendships are waiting to happen!
FROM THE LANGLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- IMPORTANT REMINDER! Registration for Transportation Services 2018-2019.
- Please register your children now for 2018-2019 transportation service; if you are moving over the summer and know your new address please use the new address, otherwise use your existing address however update your account when you have the new address information.
- This year we are registering students for the bus via KEV School Cash Online. The item can only be accessed through this linkhttps://sd35.schoolcashonline.com/Fee/Details/6251/111/False/True . This link is posted on your school and district website under “Our Schools – Transportation” tab.
- You will be required to log in to your School Cash Online account following the completion of the transportation application form to check-out and finalize the registration. The check-out process is the same as standard school items but for most registrants the cost will be zero. It does not matter whether you complete the “Who are you purchasing this for?” box as the registration form will collect the student details.
- If you do not currently have a KEV School Cash online Account the instructions for setting one up can be found attached to this email as well as posted on the school or district website under “our schools, transportation” tab.
- Thank you to all parents for patiently waiting for the completion of both the registration/website setup. Please note that you are welcome to visit the Langley School Board Office, Office Services for computer registration support located at 4875 222nd Street, Langley. Questions can be emailed directly to email@example.com .
- REMINDER! – The 13th Annual Langley School District Foundation Golf Tournament – As spring makes its tentative, yet intrepid way into summer, it is time to think about the 13th Annual Langley School District Foundation Golf Tournament. As always, this is an event not to be missed. Often described as one of the best in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley, the Foundation is proud to invite you to Redwoods Golf Course to participate in a day of golf on a gasp-inducing track. Here you will enjoy a lively tailgate party prior to tee-off, dozens of snacks and contests on the course, and a well-earned steak and salmon BBQ dinner on the 19th hole. Prizes are of quality and quantity and the famous silent auction boasts an array of “start the car” deals. Proceeds go to ensure that all our students who come to school hungry every day receive nutritious breakfasts, mid-morning snacks, lunches and backpacks filled with food to take home to hungry families. We are also introducing the unprecedented vertical gardens into our schools – miraculous systems that require no land, soil, insecticides, weeding, maintenance or vast quantities of water. They produce huge crops year-round in any temperature or climate.
- The Golf Tournament package is attached including sponsorship opportunities, registration form and silent auction donations. You can also go online at www.langleyschooldistrictfoundation.com to register or sponsor. Thank you for your ongoing support! We could not make learning UNFORGETTABLE for every student without you. packages
- REMINDER! The Langley Centennial Museum is looking for volunteers to help out during our Canada Day event on July 1st. The volunteer responsibilities would mainly be assisting in set-up and take-down, working with children at craft tables and various other stations, supporting the entertainers before they head on stage, and general clean-up/assistance. The volunteers would work from around 8 am to 5 pm and will be provided free cupcakes and water as part of the celebration. The deadline for volunteer submission is June 25th, but if any interest trickles in shortly after this deadline it would not be a huge problem. My contact number is 604-533-6090 ext. 5005, and you can either contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- School Supplies! Attached is a back to school event put on by our local churches. It will have free school bags, school supplies, grocerys, and haircuts. It also includes a pancake breakfast. Please include this in your parent letters.
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
June 25-27: Numeracy Assessments Continue (please see the schedule above)
June 25: English 12 Provincial Exam, 8:30 am
June 27: Communications 12 Provincial Exam, 8:30 am
June 27: LSS Awards Night
June 28: Report card Pick-Up from 9:30 am to 11 am