June 25, 2017
It is hard to believe that we have finally made it – the final Saints Scoop of the 2016/17 school year! It has been year filled with change and transitions, with numerous challenges and even more opportunities. The next Saints Scoop will come out in early September, just before the start of the 2017/18 school year, with important information to help your student have the best start possible. In the mean time, we wish our students and staff, as well as their families, a safe and fun-filled summer. See you in two months!
GRAD BREAKFAST: THE FINAL GRAD EVENT OF THE YEAR AT LSS
- This past Monday, June 19, grade 12 parents continued the LSS tradition of preparing a breakfast feast for grads in the cafeteria. Dozens of grads were at school by about 7:30 am to gather for one last grad event, with dozens more trickling in over the course of the next hour or so, before the start of school. Part of the tradition involves grads being the first students to get their yearbooks, which had occurred the Friday before. The breakfast was their opportunity to pass their yearbooks around and get everyone’s comments and signatures. There was a positive energy in the cafeteria as parents students, and staff gathered to celebrate their graduation one last time before the end of the school year. Special thanks to the parent volunteers who were at the school by 6 am to prepare the breakfast, and to Ms. Turpin and Mr. Howlett, who were there by 7 am to distribute yearbooks to grads who hadn’t picked them up yet.
VICTORIA GROUP PRESENTS TO THE TRUSTEES!
- As mentioned last week, several students and staff from Langley presented to almost 300 Ministry of Education staff about their educational experiences, and what they believe characterizes a successful 21st century education. As a follow up, the group then did a short presentation on the experience to Langley Trustees. The student presenters did a fabulous job of connecting their individual stories to the broader themes of what students want and need from the education system. Kudos to the group that included Mrs. Turpin and her amazing artwork!
REPORT CARDS DISTRIBUTED THIS FRIDAY, JUNE 30!
- All students should return to LSS on Friday morning, June 30 between 9:30 and and 11:30 am to pick up report cards. While the report cards are still available online through the Parent Portal, we have decided to issue the last report cards of the year on paper, as well, to ensure that all LSS students and families have access to the final marks of the year. This will allow LSS students to see their academic progress, as well as to make some important course decisions about Summer Session and for September 2017.
(THIS WEEK – BE SURE TO PRE-PAY!) FOOD SAFE TRAINING OPPORTUNITY FOR LSS STUDENTS!
- Tuesday, June 27 from 8:30 to 4 pm, at LSS (room TBA). This is now FULL. If you have registered for this, you should have received an email with a link to ensure pre-payment for this event. If you have not yet done so, please be sure to pay the $50 fee to the LSS office ASAP to secure your place in the program!
- (REMINDER – THERE IS STILL TIME!) Work Experience Helps NOW and in the FUTURE! We now have students on Work Experience placements that align with their career goals. These students have demonstrated their ability to keep up with their school work while working at least one shift per week as needed by the employer. Please contact Mr. Dickson at email@example.com if you are interested in finding out more!
(LAST CHANCE!) SUMMER SESSION IS COMING SOON!
- Ever thought of attending Summer Session? Did you know that students taking advanced credit courses typically make up about 70-80% of students in Summer Session? If you are interested, Summer Session information is now available! Information sheets are available for pick up in the Main Office, or click on one of the following attachments: SS 2017 Secondary Brochure v2 – SS 2017 Middle Brochure v2 – SS 2017 Elementary Brochure
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
FROM THE DISTRICT
- (REMINDER) 2017/18 Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance Summary of Insurance Benefits –Please find attached a short article briefly explaining the Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance product, including:
- Highlights of valuable product benefits
- A link to direct parents to the website kidsplus.ca should they have questions or wish to apply online
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- Jun 26: Communications 12 Provincial Exam, 9 am
- Jun 28: LSS Awards Night at CLA
- Jun 30: Report Cards Issued, details TBA