May 18, 2020
IMPORTANT UPDATE! ON-GOING LEARNING PLAN – CHANGES FOR JUNE 1st
- As most of you will have heard, the Province has continued its plan to bring more students back to school. During the week of June 1, students at LSS will be invited to return to school for up to one day per week, based on a schedule that we will publish in next week’s Scoop. We will also publish more details next week, after we have worked out the logistics of how this will work.
- Please see this important letter from Superintendent Gord Stewart that outlines some of the details from the Province: COVID19 Information Bulletin 2020May15
- NEW – GRAD CEREMONY UPDATE
- Please see the attached letter from LSS regarding some of the details for the 2020 Graduation Ceremony: LSS Grad 2020 Letter home
- LAST CHANCE! Grade 12 Grad Stage Comments – We are currently working on compiling all of the grade 12 comments for their grad ceremony. Deadline extended to Tuesday, May 19… Be sure to have your say for when YOU cross the stage! Here is the link: https://mysd.ca/l7dxh
- Here is an attachment with more details: Grade 12s grad comment handouts
- GRAD LIST – Keep working hard in your classes to be sure you are on the Grad List for 2020!
- THIS WEEK! GRAD PHOTO SHOOTS!
- Event: Drive By Grad Photo Shoot
- Dates: May 20/21
- Location: Campbell Valley Park (meet by Equestrian center and 208th street)
- Time: 9:30am-12:30pm (students sign up for a 20 minute time slot via email to email@example.com)
- Details: We have a photo area pre set up, parent (or student if they have their N) drives up in car, student gets out of car (in their choice of grad attire) and walks directly into the photo area (6 ft+ away from us).
- We take their photos and then they return to their car and drive home!
- Attire/Props: Students can dress up in grad attire of their choice, we are encouraging them to wear their suit or grad dress if they have it. They are welcome to bring their own additional props with them if they choose.
- DUE THIS WEEK! – Langley Teachers Association (LTA) Scholarship – It is $800 (1 per high school!!!). The deadline has been extended to May 20 and you can fill out the application online at https://www.langleyteachers.com/2019-2020-lta-scholarships/
- Dry Grad Update
- With the decisions above, the Dry Grad Committee regretfully must also announce that its June event is also cancelled. We will will let you know if there are any changes or updates.
IN ONE WEEK! PAC ELECTIONS COMING SOON!
- PAC AGM and Elections, as well as a Regular General Meeting, will take place on May 25, 2020 at 7 pm. The meeting will be done virtually, with details to come! If you are interested in attending this meeting or running for one of our PAC Executive positions, please email the LSS PAC President, Michael Hylands, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- NEW! Please note that the PAC is looking for a Treasurer for next year. If you are interested in the position, please be sure to email our PAC President ASAP (email above).
CONGRATULATIONS TO SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL ACADEMY GRADS!
- Congratulations to all of the Softball and baseball Academy graduates, including those who plan on continuing to play their chosen sport! See below for the name of the graduate, and where they will be attending post-secondary:
- Brooke Balharry – Douglas College
- Catrina Hedin – Douglas College
- Tenaya Trowell – Mount Royal College
- Russell Young – Gonzaga University and Canada Jr National Team
- Samson Back – Central Arizona College
- Jayden Ring – Sierra College
- Justin Thorsteinson – Oregon State University and Canada Jr National Team
- Brody Alexandre – Clarendon College and Canada Jr National Team
DANCE CLOTHING HAS ARRIVED AT LSS!
- Dance Clothing is here! Dancers can pick up their dance clothing this Thursday May 21st from 12-2pm at the School Office. For more information please contact Mrs. Lidemark at email@example.com
MICROSOFT PASSWORD CHANGE
- All Students Grades 4-12 should change the original Microsoft Account password provided to them (the password used for Teams) if they have not done so already. Please watch this short video that explains how to do this: https://vimeo.com/418287817
LSS STAFF ENGAGE IN ACTIVE PRO-D ON MAY 15!
- On May 15, LSS Staff participated in Professional Development opportunities throughout the Lower mainland. Many staff chose to connect with the LSS Aboriginal Worldviews-themed day.
- In the morning on Teams, staff were very fortunate to have excellent presentations by Mr. Coleman, our Aboriginal Support Teacher, and Mrs. Jackson, our Aboriginal Support Worker. Both presenters shared a wealth of information and understanding of Aboriginal Worldviews. They walked us through some key ideas, including how Aboriginal culture values the connections between the land and people, then shared the importance of about a dozen different plants and trees local to the Lower Mainland, as well as deep knowledge of the unique and ingenious uses of each of these local plants and trees.
- For the afternoon, staff were challenged to think about how they could use this knowledge and understanding in each of their teaching disciplines and student supports, before being asked to go on a walk in a local park and take photos of some of the botany presented in the morning. In this way, they were able to apply and “make visible” the learning from the morning, while still remaining physically distant. They then used reflective question from our FOCUS program’s Mood Walk to reflect on the impact of their walk, and to consolidate some of the learning of the day.
- Thanks to Mr. Coleman, Mrs. Jackson, the FOCUS program, and all of the staff who contributed to an excellent day of active learning and professional development!
- See below in “Photos of the Week” for some of the amazing photos taken by staff!
MOST DISTRICT RECREATION FACILITIES NOW OPEN!
- Recreation facilities on all Langley School District sites are OPEN as of Friday, May 15th. Our staff will be posting signs and unlocking facilities for community use. Please adhere to health and safety guidelines posted on the signs.
- Below is a list of all open facilities. As announced previously, playgrounds around the District remain CLOSED until further notice.
- Sports Fields
- Ball Hockey/Lacrosse Boxes
- Basketball Courts
- Tennis Courts
- Baseball Diamonds
- School Gardens
- Parking Lots
TOWNSHIP PARK FACILITIES UPDATE!
- All park facility bookings and park permits are cancelled until further notice.
- To report the use of a park facility that has been taped off, or otherwise identified as closed, call the COVID-19 information line at 604-532-7599 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- These park facilities are open for use:
- Parks and trails are open but please follow physical distancing protocols – stay 2 metres apart from other people and avoid touching public surfaces.
- Dog parks – follow all posted information and guidelines, stay physically distanced, and be responsible. To allow for as many dogs/owners as possible to use the park at one time, dogs may be accompanied by one human only. For a full list of dog park locations, and responsible park use by our four-legged family members, visit ourparks and amenities page.
- These facilities will be open by Friday May 15:
- Baseball diamonds
- BMX/mountain bike tracks
- Disc golf courses
- Marina park boat launch
- Parking lots
- Picnic shelters
- Skateboard parks
- Sports fields
- Tennis courts
- Closed – These facilities remain closed as social distancing is not possible, or the use of shared equipment is required:
- Ball hockey/lacrosse boxes
- Basketball courts
- Batting cages
- Bocce courts
- Climbing walls
- Fort Langley Canoe/Paddling Centre
- MAP grandstand and track (closed due to ongoing construction)
- Spray parks
- Volleyball courts
- For any further updates, please visit www.tol.ca/covid19 or email email@example.com
THIS WEEK! SAFER SCHOOLS TOGETHER OPPORTUNITY FOR STUDENTS!
- Please be aware of a Safer School’s Together student opportunity – for grades 8 -12. They are social media awareness sessions being offered on May 22nd.
- 3 more of the same Ministry funded Student Sessions will be held on May 22, and have been opened to registrations! Please visit the following link to sign-up if any of these times work for you 🙂
REMINDER – TRANSPORTATION REGISTRATION 2020-21 – NOW OPEN!
- Transportation registration for 2020-21 is now open. All riders who are currently in the system and expected to continue riding next year will receive a letter with instructions and a link to the online registration form. Please note the instructions to register are different for each category of rider. Information can be found on our Transportation Registration Webpage here.
REMINDER: COVID-19 – RESOURCES TO OVERCOME HARDSHIPS
- Family & Community Support Webpage
- District and school staff are continuing to provide support for our families during this challenging time. The District website has a new Family & Community Support page to help parents/guardians cope with the impacts of COVID-19. This page includes links to resources including a comprehensive guide developed by the Langley Children Committee, containing health, housing, and financial support information. On this page you will also find a new weekly blog launched by Gail Markin, who is our District Teacher for Social Emotional Learning. She will be covering a new health and wellness topic every time. Thank you to our community partners for their ongoing support. Visit the page here
- Educational Technology Support
- As we continue our journey into at-home learning, our staff are continuing to roll out information for families on different technology platforms and how to get connected. Microsoft Classroom TEAMS and myBlueprint are being widely used across the District. You can find a new Educational Technology Support page on the District website with detailed instructions for these two apps. Visit the page here. If you require more assistance with technology, you can get technical support at 778-726-4508 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
REMINDER: MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT – LSS COUNSELLOR CONTACTS
- Of course, an amazing Mental health Resource at your disposal is our very own LSS Counsellors. Please do not hesitate to email or call if your student needs support.
- Contact information is as follows:
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK
DISTRICT & COMMUNITY NEWS
- On Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, check out the following hashtag for photos and ideas from around the District!
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- All regular events are currently postponed or cancelled until the resumption of regular classes at LSS. As per above, this now includes Grad events. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.
- May 18 – Victoria Day
- May 25-29 – Capstone Interviews
- Grad Ceremony – June 1-4 (See details above in letter!)
- June 10-11 – AVID Portfolio Interviews
- June 21 – National Indigenous Peoples Day; Father’s Day
- June 25 – Final Report Cards Issued
- July 1 – Canada Day (Happy 153rd Birthday, Canada!)