October 12, 2020
- This week, you will be receiving an email from the school asking if you would like to have a conversation with one of your student’s teachers. Please be sure to respond to the link and we will do our best to ensure that you connect and are able to get an update as to your student’s progress so far this school year!
- REMINDER: DO I BUY A DRESS/TUX FOR GRAD??? – We have has some phone calls from parents asking this question… Our answer is that if you are buying something specifically for the Grad Banquet, then you are probably better off waiting, as the rules limiting group gatherings to only 50 still exist. As long as this rule still exists, then venues cannot host a Grad Banquet.
- UPDATED! We will also be hosting our “Grad Banner Signing” this Tuesday and Wednesday during our Grade 12 meetings!
- REMINDER: GRAD PHOTO WEEK! – For grade 12s, Grad Portrait Week will be February 22-27, 2021 – Be sure to “Save the Date!”
TERRY FOX RUN AT LSS
- This past week, LSS ran a modified, cohort-based, and COVID-friendly version of the Terry Fox Run. Staff and students (in grades 9 and 10) alike participated in the run, meant to raise awareness and funds for the fight against Cancer, while also remembering one of the greatest Canadian heroes ever, Terry Fox. The schedule was as follows:
- 12:10 – COHORT 9A (Kear, McMath, Oh, Lidemark, Davis, Pais-Martins, Kardos, Wood)
- 12:40 – COHORT 9B (Bertoni, Florko, McGovern, Sur, Pederson)
- 1:10 – COHORT 10A (Bannister, Cunningham, Hajdecki, Rand, Walton)
- 1:40 – COHORT 10B (Calderon, Mathai, Nicol, Pagnanini, Turpin)
- A huge thank you to the AVID program for organizing and marshalling the run – as difficult as it was to run the event in these COVID times, our staff and students proved what Terry Fox proved many years ago: that when there is hope, anything is possible.
- You can still show your support this year by donating online to: http://www.terryfox.ca/LangleySecondary
- Receipts are emailed immediately and there is no minimum donation! Students who wish to fundraise can do so by setting up their own page on the school fundraising website link above and sharing their link.
- Please don’t delay, donate today! #terryfoxschoolruns @terryfoxfoundation
- Here are some photos from the preparations and different cohort runs:
FOCUS PROGRAM HOSTS FIRST MOOD WALK OF THE YEAR
- The LSS Focus program is an opportunity for students in grades 10, 11, and 12 to complete their academic requirements in a different way – Focus students take most of their academic courses in one room with Mr. Greeff and Mrs. Thornburn, while still taking their elective classes throughout the rest of the school. One of the program highlights is the monthly Mood Walk, a program originating from Ontario, but adapted for secondary aged students by Mr. Greeff and Mrs. Thornburn. In fact, the Mood Walk is the first program of its kind for this age group in BC and possibly even Canada!
- For the first Mood Walk, students went to Campbell Valley, accompanied by a guide from the GVRD. See below for some of the views they encountered:
OPPORTUNITY FOR SENIOR ELL STUDENTS
- On Tuesday, October 27, LSS will be hosting a speaker from University of the Fraser Valley (UFV). This speaker will talk about ELL programs and careers for Grade 11 and 12 ELL students. The event runs from 11:30 am to 1 pm, and includes a pizza lunch!!! Please see Mr. Davis, Mrs. Pais-Martins, or Ms. Dhaliwal for more information.
ANOTHER AVID WEEK in AVID!
- This week in AVID included:
- Avid 12 monthly awards! And avid 12 rocking their spirit wear!
- Monthly Awards in AVID 11 (photos from Kendall on my phone)
- Saints scoop avid 10 more! AVID Friday fun- the spontaneous binder shake test!
- Our “monthly” AVID 10 award winners! Sometimes, there is nothing more effective than a visual, and the binder shake test is one of those effective visuals!
- AVID 10 – These Saints are busy bees, reviewing math questions and presenting their struggles in group TRF presentations to collaborate and solve them together; learning about Resumes and in groups collaborating to sort, rank, connect and explain various terms and concepts that go into designing a successful strong resume!
- See below for photos of the above!
LSS SPIRIT DAY THIS PAST FRIDAY!
- Leadership class led the charge this week by hosting an LSS Spirit Day, where staff and students wore LSS clothing to remind us all that we are all in this, together! See below for some of the garb folks wore:
COVID-19 – RESOURCES TO OVERCOME HARDSHIPS
- REMINDER: Family & Community Support Webpage
- District and school staff are continuing to provide support for our families during this challenging time. The District website has a new Family & Community Support page to help parents/guardians cope with the impacts of COVID-19. This page includes links to resources including a comprehensive guide developed by the Langley Children Committee, containing health, housing, and financial support information. On this page you will also find a new weekly blog launched by Gail Markin, who is our District Teacher for Social Emotional Learning. She will be covering a new health and wellness topic every time. Thank you to our community partners for their ongoing support. Visit the page here
REMINDER: PAC MEETING SCHEDULE FOR 2020/21
- The PAC met this past Monday and had a tour of the New Admin and Counselling Offices, before getting down to business. Besides setting some priorities for the year, they also set their meeting dates. Please mark these dates in your calendar… they would love to meet you (physically distanced, of course!) The PAC Meeting Schedule for 2020/21 is:
- Monday, Oct 19 – 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Monday, Nov 23 – 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Monday, Jan 25 – 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Monday, Feb 22 – 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Monday, Apr 19 – 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Monday, May 17 – 7 pm, Library Learning Commons (also the AGM)
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
DISTRICT & COMMUNITY NEWS
- REMINDER: Student Success Magazine – The Fall edition of Student Success has been published in the Langley Advance/Times. Please click on the link: https://www.langleyadvancetimes.com/e-editions/?iid=i20200924090444957&&headline=U3R1ZGVudCBTdWNjZXNzIFNlcHQgMjAyMA==&&doc_id=200924163033-28b1560d9cbca2acaafdf9aebb86b8a3&&pid=p20120309121148491
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
- Oct 12 – Thanksgiving (School CLOSED)
- Oct 13 – School Photo Retake Day (in the morning)
- Oct 13-14 – Grade 12 Assemblies with Counsellors and Admin
- Oct 15 – Great BC ShakeOut Earthquake Drill
- Oct 16 – Quarter 1 “Half-time” – LAST DAY before the Swap of Classes
- Oct 16 – Quarter 1 Mid-Term Report Card Published
- Oct 19 – Quarter 1 “Half-time”- FIRST DAY Classes SWAP, from a.m. to p.m., and p.m. to a.m.
- Oct 19 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Oct 21 – Parent/Teacher Early Dismissal, 1 hour Early
- Oct 19-23 – Parent/Teacher Conversations
- Oct 23 – Provincial Professional Development Day (Students NOT in Session)
- Oct 27 – UFV ELL Presentation and Pizza Lunch
- Nov 2-6 – Provincial Grade 10 Literacy and Numeracy Assessments
- Nov 23 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Jan 25 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Feb 22 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- Feb 22-27 – Grad Portrait Week
- Apr 19 – PAC Meeting, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- May 17 – PAC Meeting and AGM, 7 pm, Library Learning Commons
- June 16 – LSS Grad Ceremony, Tentatively Booked at CLA, 7 pm
- June 29 – Final Report Cards Issued