October 28, 2018
- The Fairy Godmother Foundation: Helping you get ready for Prom! – The Fairy Godmother Foundation is here to help grade 12 students in Langley high schools, whose families may be facing financial adversity, get ready for Prom. The foundation helps by providing students with a gown or suit, accessories, and even shoes. The program application process is confidential, but space is limited so we need to hear back from interested students ASAP. If you would like to be part of this experience, please contact Mrs. Stewart-Lee, Mr. Lewis, Ms. Kauldher, Ms. Salmon, Ms. Danielle Smith, Mr. Juan SanchezVilla, or Ms. Nicole Kercher.
- Student Transcript Service (STS) – Just a reminder that it is essential for all of our grade 12’s to sign up for a Student Transcript Service (STS) account as soon as possible, so that they are able to order transcripts in future, and so they can give permission to postsecondary institutions to view their grades throughout this year. LSS Counsellors are especially concerned because SFU reminded them about the importance of STS this past week at Counsellors’ day (they will be relying on it for admission decisions this year) … Our Counsellors have also run into a handful of 12’s lately who do not seem to be aware of this procedure, or even what STS is.
- For information on how to register for STS, please click on the following website link: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/support/transcripts-and-certificates/studenttranscripts-services-help/registration
- Or use the following pdf link: Student Transcript Service sign-up instructions
- REGISTRATION NOW OPEN! LFS Fall Preview Day at UBC! This event will take place on Saturday, November 24 out at UBC – you can find more information about the event here. If any of your students have expressed interest in studying food systems, biology, global food markets, human health, food, nutrition, animals, plants, the environment or sustainability etc., I recommend that they join us at this event, so that they can determine if an LFS program may be for them.
- If students attend LFS Fall Preview Day, they will:
- Find out what makes our Faculty and programs unique
- Learn more about our three undergraduate Bachelor of Science degrees (B.Sc. in Applied Biology, B.Sc. in Food, Nutrition and Health and B.Sc. in Global Resource Systems)
- Registration for the LFS Fall Preview Day just went live last week. Students can register for it here (https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.landfood.ubc.ca%2Fprospective%2Flfs-events%2F&data=02%7C01%7CMMoino%40sd35.bc.ca%7C27a168907ac843feac2b08d6383453e8%7Cfcabfaaef80a4f74b6a7ba15c2a4bb24%7C0%7C0%7C636758194730108579&sdata=xt%2BWCW0%2BUzVPTVdjVl%2FANm%2BAT%2FlC%2Fkms%2B8jHmjM%2FIJ0%3D&reserved=0).
- If students attend LFS Fall Preview Day, they will:
- REMINDER! Grad Council meets every Tuesday at lunch in the small gym – Grade 12s are invited to impact their grad year, and make it the best grad year ever! See Mrs. Thornburn if you have any questions!
- Dry Grad Update:
- THIS WEEK! The next meeting is now changed to October 30rd at 7pm.
- Be sure to join the LSS Dry Grad 2019 Facebook page as the best way to stay up-to-date on this year’s Dry Grad event!
- We now have an account open at Willowbrook recycling (19641 60 Ave.). Bring in your cans and bottles and just tell them you’d like to credit the LSS Dry Grad 2019 account #606.
- As part of the LSS Re-Build, the Township of Langley will be installing a new waterline across 213A St. to the watervault in the west parking lot (currently fenced off). This work is tentatively booked for Thursday, November 1 and Friday, November 2. This will likely have a slight disruption to the traffic flow/access to the west parking lot.
DROP EVERYTHING AND READ A SUCCESS AT LSS!
- This past week, LSS had a “Fixed Flex” so that students and staff could participate in “Drop Everything and Read” (DEAR). As you can see below, LSS classes took the time to promote Literacy and had a lot of fun doing so! Thanks to our Learning Commons teacher, Ms. Li, for organizing this positive school-wide event!
HANDS-ON AND EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING AT LSS!
- In Mr. Fauteux’s Psychology 12 class, students conducted a “Brain Surgery Lab” where they were constructing/identifying parts of the brain as a review for their upcoming quiz. They have been investigating the different sections of the brain, how they connect, and what functions they perform. See below to see what students created, all in the name of learning!
- In Social Studies 9, Mr. Sheppard’s and Mr. Fauteux’s classes took part in a mock trial for the Industrial Revolution unit they are studying, including the topic of unsafe work environments during this time. Students participated in number of roles, such as judges, lawyers, witnesses, and journalists. Each student had to prepare their roles all week by researching and collaborating with one another on what factories were like during the Industrial Revolution. The trial will be completed this Monday!
A 2ND JAPANESE CLASS VISIT!
- LSS’ Japanese classes had another wonderful interaction with a junior high school group visiting from Japan, with both groups of students learning a great deal about each other’s cultures and language! Thanks to Mr. Janzen and Ms. Lee for organizing such an enriching experience!
GET INVOLVED: IT’S LSS SPIRIT WEEK!
- This week is spirit week! Be sure to dress up and participate each and every day!
- Monday: Jersey Day
- Activity: Fear Factor (eating weird things)
- Tuesday: Crazy Sock
- Activity: Mummy wrap
- Wednesday: Halloween
- Activity: Trick or Treat
- Thursday: Meme Day
- Activity: Pumpkin smash
- Friday: PJ Day
- Activity: Pie in the Face
- Monday: Jersey Day
SAVE THE DATE! LSS CRAFT FAIR COMING SOON!
- On Saturday, November 17, dozens of crafters and other vendors will descend on LSS to show off their wares, and just in time for Christmas and the Holiday Season! Thanks to the LSS PAC for hosting this event, with net proceeds of table rentals and snack sales to benefit LSS students and programs. Entry to the event is by donation. So, come on out and show your support for LSS, while also finding some great buys!
- REMINDER – The Careers Program is bigger and better than ever, offering more opportunities for LSS students to explore career options, and possibly gain valuable Work Experience course credits! See below for some of the opportunities being offered now, and be sure to click oral of the Blue links for more info! Careers General
- Interested in Apprenticeship Opportunities? Click on the following link for upcoming intake information for January: youth-train-program-brochure
- City of Langley Fire Hall Work Experience – 90 Hour Experience; Applications due November 30, 2018 City Fire Hall
- UPDATE!!! Take Our Kids to Work Day (TOKTWD)– for Grade 9 Students is on November 14. Take Our Kids to Work Day! Handouts that included consent forms were sent out last week – be sure to get them returned ASAP! Extra copies can be found in the main office. You can also print the package at this website: https://www.thelearningpartnership.ca/TLP/media/Documents/TOKW/TOKW_Educator-Guide_ENG_WEB.pdf
SAINTS FOOTBALL UPDATE!
- PLAYERS WANTED
- Our football program is always seeking new players, Grades 9-12, no experience necessary. Practices are Monday-Thursday right after school at McLeod Athletic Park right behind the school. See Mr Wyse or Mr Kardos for more information. Come on out and give this great sport a try. Football creates deep bonds and friendships that stand the test of time, and pushes individuals to bring out the best in themselves.
THIS WEEK! BC LIONS SUPPORT THE LSS BREAKFAST CLUB!
- Be sure to be at school EXTRA EARLY on Monday, October 29 as Emmanuel Arceneaux and Solomon Elimimian from the BC Lions will be helping out with our Breakfast Club! There will be a tonne of fun activities with the LSS football team and LSS leadership students, the chance to win BC Lions swag, and chances to win tickets to the BC Lions final home game of the season, where Wally Buono will be feted for his amazing contribution to the Lions! Special thanks to Premium Brands (our biggest Breakfast Club supporter) and to the BC Lions for making this amazing experience possible!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
- Clubs are starting to kick off at LSS. Getting involved is one of the ingredients to a successful school year… So, take a moment to see what your student what might be interested in, and encourage him/her to go these rooms below to find out more!
- Senior Boys Open Gym: Every Tuesday after school in the Small Gym.
- Manga Club: Are you interested in Manga, anime of Japanese-style art? The Mange Club will be meeting Wednesdays after school in the Library.
- After School Dance Club! The After School Dance Club is starting up again. This class runs every Tuesday from 3-4pm in the dance studio. This is an open class for all students at LSS who would like to participate in a dance class. Come and experience Hip Hop, Jazz, Zumba, Lyrical and Contemporary Dance. Bring a friend and enjoy Dance! Please sign up in the Dance studio. First class will be next Tuesday Oct, 9th.
- KnitWits Club: Would you like to relax and learn a new skill? Would you like to learn how to knit? Please feel free to join us on Thursdays at lunch in Room 145. (Ms. Lee’s Foods Room). The club is open to anyone, beginners to advanced knitters are welcome.
- WEX (Work Experience) Wednesday Flex: Students who are registered or interested in Work Experience, please join us on Wednesdays during Flex Block in Room 136.
- Grad Council meets every Tuesday at lunch in the small gym – Grade 12s are invited to impact their grad year, and make it the best grad year ever! See Mrs. Thornburn if you have ay questions!
- LSS Debate and Model UN Club: Join us every Thursday at lunchtime in Room 220. Members will learn how to debate, examine current events, and prepare for upcoming MUN conferences and debate tournaments. New members are always welcome.
- Tabletop Thursdays with Mr. Nicol in Room 111 Thursdays at lunch and after school – come and find out what different tabletop games and activities are being offered!
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club runs Wednesdays at lunch in Room 213.
FROM THE LANGLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
- FINAL REMINDER: “Harvest Glow – The Warmth of the Season” will go towards the Food for Thought Campaign and Tower Garden Initiative! Please encourage families and staff to attend this event! Families will be able to pick their perfect pumpkin from the Indoor Pumpkin Patch, play a round of Mini Putt, participate in the Mystery Corn Maze and enjoy the delights from several Food Truck vendors. Harvest Glow starts NOW and ends on October 31st. Please see the attached poster for more information: Glow_Harvest_poster_11x17_langley_school
- Free Dental Days and Dinner with the Doctor! Want to learn more about the upcoming Free Dental Days and Dinner with a Doctor? Both are hosted and supported by Church in the Valley. See the two attachments for more information: Dental Info – Dinner with the Doctor
- “In the Know”: Please see below and attached for info on our upcoming In the Know for November. Please share with the families you connect with. Please note, this group is intended for parents and caregivers whose children face mental health and/or substance use challenges; professionals are welcome. See the following for more information: FamilySmart-ITK-Poster-Langley-November-20-2018
- Langley Hospice: Children’s Grief Awareness day is coming up on Thursday, November 15th, and the Langley Hospice Society is having a Day of The Dead themed open house that is open to families.
- They will have a movie screening of Coco, crafts and refreshments, as well as books, games, and resources for parents. The activities are aimed for younger-aged children, but interested teens are welcome to check out the house or simply to talk.
- Also, to raise awareness of grieving children and teens, they are asking local businesses and schools to wear blue on the 15th and to help “paint the town blue” by switching out a regular light bulb with a blue one. On November 15th, they are hoping that everyone who has received a blue light bulb will post a picture of it and put it on social media to help raise awareness!
- Click on the link for more information: LHS_ CGAD_OPEN HOUSE_2018
- Willowbrook Charity Shopping Event – November 20, 2018 – The Langley School District Foundation will be sending out information soon on how school groups can fundraise for your school team, club or PAC through the Charity Shopping Event on November 20th at Willowbrook Mall! Please see poster attached for more information about the evening. ALL participating school groups keep 100% of event ticket sales so it is a definite must for those needing funds for uniforms, special field trips or other extra-curricular purchases. If you have a school group that might be interested, please contact Mr. Moino at email@example.com
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- Oct. 29 – Breakfast Club – Special Guests from the BC Lions coming! 8 am
- Oct. 29 – Collaboration Afternoon – Students Dismissed at 1:15 pm
- Oct. 31 – Hallowe’en!
- Nov. 3 – LSS goes to the CFL! Details at the Oct. 29 Breakfast Club… be there!
- Nov. 4 – Daylight Savings Time Ends, Clocks Fall 1 hour back!
- Nov. 5 – Report Card Prep Half Day – Students dismissed at 11:20 am
- Nov. 8 – Remembrance Day Assemblies, in the morning
- Nov. 9 – Schools NOT in Session
- Nov. 11 – Remembrance Day
- Nov. 12 – Remembrance Day Observed, Schools CLOSED
- Nov. 14 – Grade 9 Take Our Kids to Work Day!
- Nov. 17 – LSS Craft Fair – Save the Date!
- Nov. 19 – PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
- Jan. 21 – PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
- Feb. 11 – PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
- Apr. 15 – PAC Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
- May 27 – PAC AGM and Regular Meeting, Room 128, 7 pm
- June 14 – LSS Graduation Ceremony, CLA, 7 pm
- June 21 – LSS Graduation Banquet, Coast Hotel and Convention Centre, 6:30 pm