September 10, 2017
Thank you to everyone for your patience as we sort through all of the challenges that are a typical part of opening week. Our staff have been working many additional hours to ensure that all of our students have complete timetables and are in the right classes, and that we taking care of all the details and questions that inevitably come up at this time of year. We are also still finalizing a few teaching positions and hope to have all of our teachers hired and in place in the coming days. If there are still issues that exist, please be sure to contact the school and we will work to solve the problem.
(BEGINS THIS WEEK!) NEW DAILY SCHEDULE AT LSS
- With the start of FLEX time at LSS, our daily schedule is changing slightly, with the addition of a 42 minute block of time in between 1st and 2nd period. You may recall from last year’s Saints Scoop! that FLEX time is designed for students to be able to choose how to best use their own instructional time. Their choices include: seeing a teacher for extra help, working with group members in a class and working on a group assignment or project, getting ahead in a class, or even working on something that they have designed themselves. All we ask is that they remain in the school in a classroom, with grade 12s able to sign in to the library, and that they keep up with their homework and assignments; students who are falling behind in a class may be asked by that teacher to remain in their class during FLEX. Otherwise, students get to choose which classroom best meets their needs, increasing the likelihood of getting homework done on time, and freeing up evenings for their different family and extracurricular activities. Please see below for the new daily schedule, starting Monday, September 11.
|Period 1||8:35 – 9:44|
|Period 2||10:36 11:45|
|Lunch||11:45 – 12:20|
|Period 3||12:25 – 1:34|
|Period 4||1:39 – 2:48|
- (THIS WEEK!) The FIRST GRAD COUNCIL meeting of the year will be next Tuesday, September 12 inform 132. Get involved and make grade 12 your BEST YEAR YET at LSS! Please see Ms. Thornburn for more details!
- Preliminary SAT Writing Opportunity
- Location: R.E. Mountain Secondary School,
- Date: Wednesday, October 11, 2017
- Time: 3:30 to 8:00 p.m. in room 209 at REMSS (arrive 3:15)
- Registration Information: Contact Mrs. C. Pickering, 604-888-3033, Local 226 email@example.com
- Cost: $40.00 (checks payable to Mountain Secondary School)
- Due to limited spaces exams will be reserved for first students to pay in full.
- AES Scholarship Deadline Is Approaching – The deadline for the AES Scholarship is October 6, 2017. “Visit our website at http://www.aesengineers.com/scholarships.htm and please encourage your students to apply. We wish them all good luck!”
- SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY – The BCPVPA annually awards up to 20 scholarships, in the amount of $1000 each, to students who are graduating from the BC public school system and will proceed to a post-secondary institution. Completed applications are due by Friday, September 29. http://bcpvpa.bc.ca/student-scholarships/
- SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY – The BC Retired PVPA annually awards four $1000 scholarships to students who are graduating from the BC public school system and will proceed to a BC post-secondary institution. Completed applications are due by Friday, September 29. http://bcrpvpa.ca/
MEET THE TEACHER NIGHT – COMING SOON: THURSDAY, SEPT. 21!
- It’s that time of year to meet the teachers at LSS! This is an important evening for parents and staff to connect, all for the betterment of the students learning. Educational research supports the idea that the more parents and staff communicate, the more success students have at school. At LSS, Meet the Teacher Night is held in an “Open House” format, with teachers available between 7 and 8 pm on Thursday, September 21. There will also be two important meetings that evening: a Grade 9 Parent Meeting at 6:45 pm in the large gym, and a Grade 12 Graduation meeting at 7:30 pm in the library. Please see the attachment below for more details on the format of the evening, and the contents of each parent meeting: Parent sheet Meet the Teacher 2017
IMPORTANT CLASS INFORMATION FOR COURSES OUT OF THE TIMETABLE
DID YOU KNOW… that while taking a full course load during the day, you can also get extra credits toward graduation by taking courses outside of the regular 8:30 am – 3 pm schedule? See below for more details!
- Leadership Students: The first Leadership class will be held on Tuesday morning at 7:30am in Room 122. Please see Mr. Howlett or Ms. Wood if you have any questions.
- Music Students: Music students be aware that after school and early morning classes start this week! Choir starts Monday after school, Concert Band starts Tuesday after school. New musicians are welcome as well as all those who registered for those classes already. See the yellow sheets on the bulletin board for more information or speak with Mrs. Thorpe.
- Musical Theatre: Come join Musical Theatre on Monday, September 11th in the Library at 5pm until 8pm for the first class. All are welcome. For more information on the Musical Theatre course, please see Mrs. Piorecky in the Drama room or Mrs. Thorpe in the music room
- Ready for a Work Experience opportunity??? Work Experience Helps NOW and in the FUTURE! We have students on Work Experience placements that align with their career goals. These students have demonstrated their ability to keep up with their school work while working at least one shift per week as needed by the employer. Please contact Mr. Dickson at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in finding out more!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
Throughout the school year, we will have important information on students clubs and teams in this section of the Scoop! If you want to meet new people and have fun while learning something new, then read below… and join an LSS club or team!
- LSS Dance Team: Would you like to try out for the LSS Dance Team and perform jazz and hip hop? The Dance Team practices at lunchtime twice a week and performs at various events! All dance levels are welcome! Sign up at the meeting on Monday, September 11th at lunch in the new dance studio.
- Girls Volleyball: Tryouts take place on Monday and Tuesday from 7-9pm. Everyone is welcome. We’d love to have you on the team!
- Grad Council: First meeting of Grad Council will be on Tuesday, September 12th at lunchtime in Room 132. All grads are welcome! Get involved in Grad 2018!
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club will begin Wednesday, September 20th at lunch in Room 213 with Ms. Wood and Ms. Sewell.
FROM THE DISTRICT
- Choice Program Reminder for your School Newsletter – Families applying for first year entry into any choice program for September 2018 will need to apply online.
- The online application system opens at 12:00PM (noon) Monday, October 2, 2017 and closes 12:00PM (noon), Monday, October 16, 2017.
- On December 8, 2015, the Board of Education adopted changes to Policy 5084 (Application to Enter Choice Programs). Important information outlining these changes may be found here, under Programs & Initiatives, Programs of Choice.
- These programs include:
- Early French Immersion (Kindergarten – Belmont, James Kennedy)
- Late French Immersion (Grade 6 – Alex Hope, Noel Booth, Betty Gilbert)
- Montessori (Kindergarten – Uplands)
- Fine Arts (Kindergarten – Langley Fine Arts)
- Fundamental (Kindergarten – Coghlan, Langley Fundamental Elementary)
- U-Connect (Kindergarten – Simonds)
- Outdoor Education (K-3 – Fort Langley)
- These programs include:
- 2017/18 Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance Summary of Insurance Benefits –Please find attached a short article briefly explaining the Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance product, including:
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- Sept. 11: Saints Breakfast Club at LSS starts up for the year (every morning at 7:45 am)
- Sept.12: Grad Council Meeting, Room 132
- Sept. 18: Michael Bortolotto Assemblies, All day
- Sept. 18: First PAC Meeting of the Year, Room 128, 7 pm
- Sept. 19: Grade Assemblies, All Day, Large Gym
- Sept. 20: School Picture Day
- Sept. 21: Meet the Teacher Evening, 6:45 pm Assembly for Grade 9 Parents; 7 pm General
- Sept. 22: School Improvement Day, Half Day Early Dismissal (Students attend in the a.m.)
- Sept. 27: Homelessness Awareness Event, Library, 1:30 pm
- Sept. 28: Terry Fox Run
- Sept. 29: Orange Short Day: Every Child Matters
- Oct. 4: Grad Mobile Studio Arrives (Grad Photos run October 4-8)
- Oct. 6: Curriculum Implementation Day, Students NOT in Session
- Oct. 6-9: Power at LSS scheduled to be OFF for Construction
- Oct. 9: Thanksgiving Day, Schools CLOSED
- Oct. 13: School Picture Retakes
- Oct. 18: Parent Teacher Conferences, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 19: Parent Teacher Conferences, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 20: Professional Development Day, Students NOT in Session
- Oct. 23: Staff Collaboration, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 26: Grad Cruise, Departing LSS at 4:45 pm
- Oct. 27: Semester 1, Term 1 Ends
- Oct. 30: Report Card Preparation, Half Day Early Dismissal (Students attend in the a.m.)
- Oct. 31: Hallowe’en – Dress up at LSS!
- Nov. 10: Calendar Variation/Non-Instructional Day – Students NOT in Session
- Nov. 13: Remembrance Day, Schools CLOSED