September 17, 2017
MEET THE TEACHER EVENING AT LSS – THIS THURSDAY, SEPT. 21!
- It’s that time of year to meet the teachers at LSS! This is an important evening for parents and staff to connect, all for the betterment of the students learning. Educational research supports the idea that the more parents and staff communicate, the more success students have at school. At LSS, Meet the Teacher Night is held in an “Open House” format, with teachers available between 7 and 8 pm on Thursday, September 21. There will also be two important meetings that evening: a Grade 9 Parent Meeting at 6:45 pm in the large gym, and a Grade 12 Graduation meeting at 7:30 pm in the library. Please see the attachment below for more details on the format of the evening, and the contents of each parent meeting: Parent sheet Meet the Teacher 2017
- Langley KPU Open House – KPU will host the annual Langley Open House on Wednesday, September 27, 2017, from 3-7pm. Mark your calendars and share this information with your students. Everyone is invited to an afternoon of learning, touring, listening to music, meeting with instructors and current students. There will be food and refreshments too.
- Wondering how you are going to pay for post-secondary?
- Then you will be very interested in this FREE workshop that gives some tips and pathways for helping your student to get grants and scholarships. Madison Guy, from “GrantMe” will share her experience and tips on Monday, September 25 at 7 pm in the LSS library. This event is open to parents and students in LSS, from grades 9 – 12. Be sure to mark this date in your calendar! For more information on Madison Guy and “GrantMe”, please see the following link: Madison Guy LSS poster
- Grad Photos! Its already time to start booking your graduation photo appointments! Grad photos will run from October 4 to 8 in a mobile studio at LSS. Be among the first to sign up and get your preferred date and time!
PHOTO DAY – WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 20
- All students must take their photos on this day to receive their GoCard and to be in the school’s system, even if they do not plan on buying a package. To find out more from Artona and the different packages available, please click on the link: https://artona.com/schools/LANS/programs/school_photo
SPIRIT DAY ACTIVITIES – SEPTEMBER 21
- Fly on the Wall & Saints Spirit Day: Come on out on Thursday, September 21st at lunchtime in the Cafeteria for Fly on the Wall! This is also Saints Spirit Day. Saints Spirit Wear will go on sale this Friday at lunchtime in the Castle Lobby! More details to follow…
YEARBOOKS – SECURE YOURS NOW AT THE BEST PRICE!
- Purchase your Yearbook for the Early Bird Price of $45 up until September 30th. Yearbooks will then cost $65.
LSS GOES TO ITALY!
- LSS goes to Italy during the 2018 Spring Break! Come to the information meeting on September 26th at 6pm in the library to discuss itinerary, tour and costs.
- Career Department News: Grade 11 and 12 students interested in applying for the Langley Memorial Hospital Explorations Program or the Township of Langley Fire Hall Work Experience, please see Mrs. Blessing in the Counselling Centre for an application.
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
Throughout the school year, we will have important information on students clubs and teams in this section of the Scoop! If you want to meet new people and have fun while learning something new, then read below… and join an LSS club or team!
- NEW! Wrestling – Langley United: We are asking all interested students from grades 9-12 to attend a meeting next Thursday, September 21st at LSS @ 3:30 pm in the Cafeteria.
- NEW! GSA Alliance: The LSS Gender and Sexuality Alliance will be meeting on Tuesdays at lunchtime in the Drama Room, beginning September 21st! All students are welcome to attend!
- UPDATED! LSS Dance Team: Would you like to try out for the LSS Dance Team and perform jazz and hip hop? The Dance Team practices at lunchtime twice a week and performs at various events! All dance levels are welcome! Practices take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays at lunch in the new Dance Studio.
- UPDATED! Grad Council: Meetings of Grad Council take place on Tuesdays at lunchtime in Room 132. All grads are welcome! Get involved in Grad 2018!
- ME to WE Club: If you are looking to volunteer, give back to your community and learn more about local and global issues, join ME to WE Club! ME to WE Club will begin Wednesday, September 20th at lunch in Room 213 with Ms. Wood and Ms. Sewell.
FROM THE DISTRICT
- KOREAN-SPEAKING WORKSHOP ON POST-SECONDARY PREPARATION
- FROM Irene Hohng, Settlement Worker in Schools with Langley School District. “I would like to pass on this invitation for Korean-speaking parents for an upcoming workshop on Friday, September 22nd. I hope this workshop will give useful information to immigrant students and parents on how to prepare for post-secondary school in Canada. Please find the workshop poster attached to this email.” Korean_Workshop -2017 Sept
- REMINDER – Choice Program Reminder for your School Newsletter – Families applying for first year entry into any choice program for September 2018 will need to apply online.
- The online application system opens at 12:00PM (noon) Monday, October 2, 2017 and closes 12:00PM (noon), Monday, October 16, 2017.
- On December 8, 2015, the Board of Education adopted changes to Policy 5084 (Application to Enter Choice Programs). Important information outlining these changes may be found here, under Programs & Initiatives, Programs of Choice.
- These programs include:
- Early French Immersion (Kindergarten – Belmont, James Kennedy)
- Late French Immersion (Grade 6 – Alex Hope, Noel Booth, Betty Gilbert)
- Montessori (Kindergarten – Uplands)
- Fine Arts (Kindergarten – Langley Fine Arts)
- Fundamental (Kindergarten – Coghlan, Langley Fundamental Elementary)
- U-Connect (Kindergarten – Simonds)
- Outdoor Education (K-3 – Fort Langley)
- These programs include:
- Friday Night Youth Night – Offered by the Boys and Girls Clubs of South Coast BC – please see the attached poster for more information: SEPT 2017 Friday Night Youth Night_Langley
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- Sept. 18: Michael Bortolotto Assemblies, All day
- Sept. 18: First PAC Meeting of the Year, Room 128, 7 pm
- Sept. 19: Grade Assemblies, All Day, Large Gym
- Sept. 20: School Picture Day
- Sept. 21: Meet the Teacher Evening, 6:45 pm Assembly for Grade 9 Parents; 7 pm General
- Sept. 22: School Improvement Day, Half Day Early Dismissal (Students attend in the a.m.)
- Sept. 27: Homelessness Awareness Event, Library, 1:30 pm
- Sept. 28: Terry Fox Run
- Sept. 29: Orange Short Day: Every Child Matters
- Oct. 4: Grad Mobile Studio Arrives (Grad Photos run October 4-8)
- Oct. 6: Curriculum Implementation Day, Students NOT in Session
- Oct. 6-9: Power at LSS scheduled to be OFF for Construction
- Oct. 9: Thanksgiving Day, Schools CLOSED
- Oct. 13: School Picture Retakes
- Oct. 18: Parent Teacher Conferences, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 19: Parent Teacher Conferences, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 20: Professional Development Day, Students NOT in Session
- Oct. 23: Staff Collaboration, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 26: Grad Cruise, Departing LSS at 4:45 pm
- Oct. 27: Semester 1, Term 1 Ends
- Oct. 30: Report Card Preparation, Half Day Early Dismissal (Students attend in the a.m.)
- Oct. 31: Hallowe’en – Dress up at LSS!
- Nov. 10: Calendar Variation/Non-Instructional Day – Students NOT in Session
- Nov. 13: Remembrance Day, Schools CLOSED