September 4, 2017
Are your students excited about the new 2017-18 school year? Are they excited (and a bit nervous) because they are new at LSS? Are they excited (and a bit nervous) about returning to school and seeing their friends? Are they excited (and a bit nervous) about finding out who their new teachers will be? Or perhaps they are excited (and a lot nervous) because this is their graduation year. Whatever the reason, your student is likely feeling excited and nervous at the same time because of the potential and because of the unknowns that the school year represents.
I want to let you and them know that the administration and staff at LSS are very excited at the prospects of a new year at LSS. And we have very good reason to be! Did you know that Canada, and in particular BC, has one of the best education systems in the world? To find out more, please read the BBC article out of the UK – “Education system in Canada among the world’s best“ http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40708421
It is for this reason that we will be focussing on
NEW DAILY SCHEDULE AT LSS
- With the start of FLEX time at LSS, our daily schedule is changing slightly, with the addition of a 42 minute block of time in between 1st and 2nd period. You may recall from last year’s Saints Scoop! that FLEX time is designed for students to be able to choose how to best use their own instructional time. Their choices include: seeing a teacher for extra help, working with group members in a class and working on a group assignment or project, getting ahead in a class, or even working on something that they have designed themselves. All we ask is that they remain in the school in a classroom, with grade 12s able to sign in to the library, and that they keep up with their homework and assignments; students who are falling behind in a class may be asked by that teacher to remain in their class during FLEX. Otherwise, students get to choose which classroom best meets their needs, increasing the likelihood of getting homework done on time, and freeing up evenings for their different family and extracurricular activities. Please see below for the new daily schedule, starting Monday, September 11.
|Period 1||8:35 – 9:44|
|Period 2||10:36 11:45|
|Lunch||11:45 – 12:20|
|Period 3||12:25 – 1:34|
|Period 4||1:39 – 2:48|
- The FIRST GRAD COUNCIL meeting of the year will be next Tuesday, September 12 inform 132. Get involved and make grade 12 your BEST YEAR YET at LSS! Please see Ms. Thornburn for more details!
- SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY – The BCPVPA annually awards up to 20 scholarships, in the amount of $1000 each, to students who are graduating from the BC public school system and will proceed to a post-secondary institution. Completed applications are due by Friday, September 29. http://bcpvpa.bc.ca/student-scholarships/
- SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY – The BC Retired PVPA annually awards four $1000 scholarships to students who are graduating from the BC public school system and will proceed to a BC post-secondary institution. Completed applications are due by Friday, September 29. http://bcrpvpa.ca/
LSS IN THE NEWS
- LSS Grad Walk an amazing success! – 06/20 – VIDEO: High fives and cheers at the Langley Secondary Grad Walk 2017
- LSS Grad writes for Hollywood – 08/16 – Langley-raised writer pens for Hollywood
- Douglas Park Courtyard undergoes Transformation – 07/13 – VIDEO: Under-utilized Langley school courtyard transformed into First Nations living library
- HDSMS Teacher Djiba Camara remembered – 08/14 – Langley teacher remembered as a giving man
- Weekend Fuel Bag program helps to support Langley Students – 08/26 – Barbecue to help hungry students in Langley
- LSS and other Langley Schools look forward to long-term benefits from construction – 08/30 – Schools under construction in Langley
- Ready for a Work Experience opportunity??? Work Experience Helps NOW and in the FUTURE! We have students on Work Experience placements that align with their career goals. These students have demonstrated their ability to keep up with their school work while working at least one shift per week as needed by the employer. Please contact Mr. Dickson at email@example.com if you are interested in finding out more!
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
This week, we will focus in on some of the construction photos taken over the summer. Phase 1 is nearing completion, with the old Metal Work building and two Science labs being torn down sometime in October. Soon after, the construction of the new classrooms will begin! Take a look at the photos to see how LSS is transforming itself into a 21st Century school!
FROM THE DISTRICT
- Choice Program Reminder – Families applying for first year entry into any choice program for September 2018 will need to apply online. The online application system opens at 12:00PM (noon) Monday, October 2, 2017 and closes 12:00PM (noon), Monday, October 16, 2017. On December 8, 2015, the Board of Education adopted changes to Policy 5084 (Application to Enter Choice Programs). Important information outlining these changes may be found here, under Programs & Initiatives, Programs of Choice.
- 2017/18 Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance Summary of Insurance Benefits –Please find attached a short article briefly explaining the Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance product, including:
- Please find attached the Pregnant and Parenting Youth Programs September 2017 calendar of events:
- The Reading Buddies program is starting for Fall 2017 at several Langley libraries, including Langley, Walnut Grove, Fort Langley and Aldergrove libraries. Secondary school students in Grades 10, 11 or 12 volunteer in the Reading Buddies program as Big Buddies, and are assigned a Little Buddy to read with for one hour a week after school from October – December. This program helps Little Buddies become better readers and is a fantastic mentorship opportunity for secondary school students. Applications for the program are available at participating libraries and are due back by September 21st. Thank you for your help in promoting this community literacy program!
- Volunteer Opportunity for students this year! In the past, we have sent you information regarding a student volunteer opportunity at the West Coast Christmas Show & Marketplace, if not we have a great opportunity for your students to receive hours. The West Coast Christmas Show will be taking place at the Tradex, in Abbotsford from Friday, November 17th – Sunday, November 19th, 2017.This volunteer opportunity for your students would provide them with service hours and experience in an area which may be of interest to them as they look towards their future careers. They may also receive a reference letter upon request. This volunteer opportunity for your students would provide them with service hours and experience in an area which may be of interest to them as they look towards their future careers. They may also receive a reference letter upon request.
- Stage Hand– One or two students who are interested in music willing to assist the stage manager in preparing all the items needed for the presentations. This job in particular could be a real good project for a student who loves music and working with sound equiptment. Available Friday – Sunday
- Front Foyer Floaters– Greeting visitors, sending the visitors to the ticket purchase area or e-ticket scan and handing out festival programs, giving exiting visitors a re-entry pass. Available Friday – SundayDecorations/Gift Bagging – Helping decorate the Tradex with Christmas decorations. Also might include gift bagging. Available Thursday, November 16th 3:00pm – 7:00pm or 5:00pm – 9:00pm.
- Student volunteers will be provided with festival tickets so that they can return to the festival as visitors with their family/friends as they wish.
- Anyone that is interested should email me direct to confirm their day/time. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- Sept. 5: First day of school for Grade 9 and New Students, Big Gym, 11:30 am
- Sept. 6: First day of school for returning students in grades 10-12, 8:30 am
- Sept. 11: Saints Breakfast Club at LSS starts up for the year (every morning at 7:45 am)
- Sept.12: Grad Council Meeting, Room 132
- Sept. 18: First PAC Meeting of the Year, Room 128, 7 pm
- Sept. 20: School Picture Day
- Sept. 22: School Improvement Day, Half Day Early Dismissal (Students attend in the a.m.)
- Sept. 27: Homelessness Awareness Event, Library, 1:30 pm
- Sept. 28: Terry Fox Run
- Sept. 29: Orange Short Day: Every Child Matters
- Oct. 4: Grad Mobile Studio Arrives (Grad Photos run October 4-8)
- Oct. 6: Curriculum Implementation Day, Students NOT in Session
- Oct. 6-9: Power at LSS scheduled to be OFF for Construction
- Oct. 9: Thanksgiving Day, Schools CLOSED
- Oct. 13: School Picture Retakes
- Oct. 18: Parent Teacher Conferences, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 19: Parent Teacher Conferences, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 20: Professional Development Day, Students NOT in Session
- Oct. 23: Staff Collaboration, Early Dismissal at 1:30 pm
- Oct. 26: Grad Cruise, Departing LSS at 4:45 pm
- Oct. 27: Semester 1, Term 1 Ends
- Oct. 30: Report Card Preparation, Half Day Early Dismissal (Students attend in the a.m.)
- Oct. 31: Hallowe’en – Dress up at LSS!
- Nov. 10: Calendar Variation/Non-Instructional Day – Students NOT in Session
- Nov. 13: Remembrance Day, Schools CLOSED