September 8, 2018
Opening Week in schools is one of the most exhilarating, interesting, inspiring, and hopeful times of the year. Behind the scenes, Clerical, Counsellors, Admin, Teachers, and Support Staff are all working hard to get the details “just right” to ensure that students have complete timetables, know where they are going, and generally feel safe and excited for the year to come. Inevitably, not every detail turns out as planned, so we all respond in the best way we can: with a positive and respectful attitude, and a willingness to solve the problem, no matter how seemingly difficult. As a school community, we thank you for your patience if you are dealing with one of these issues that is yet to be resolved. Please be sure that you have let one of the Admin or Counsellors know that there is a problem with an email or a phone call, and then please be patient as we work through each issue as quickly and positively as possible.
While we are close to ensuring that all students are fully timetabled in the right classes, we are also still balancing classes that are too large or that do not have the right balance of students. This means that there may be more changes to your student’s timetable. Again, we will try to have these changes made and communicated as soon as we can so that everyone can settle in and build forward momentum for the rest of the Semester and school year.
- The Canadian University Event (CUE) – CUE is an opportunity for Langley students to meet representatives from universities and colleges from across Canada. It takes place on September 27 at the LEC. Bussing is available for LSS students. See the attached poster for more information, then see Ms. Blessing in the Counselling Centre to sign up! CUE 2018
- The Grad class of 2018 experienced a hugely successful Graduation Ceremony and Banquet. But BEFORE these events was the Grad Walk – a tour of the LSS Family of Schools (middle and elementary) by our Grads that sparked some amazing moments of remembrance and acknowledgments of appreciation. Here is the Grad Walk Video 2018!! https://vimeo.com/277705635
- Dry Grad 2019! To all 2019 Grads and their families. It’s never too early to start thinking about Grad 2019 celebrations. Please join the Facebook Group called “LSS Dry Grad 2019” so we can start sharing activity and fundraising ideas (and please add any other 2019 grads and their families that you know). For those people who are not on Facebook but still want to be involved, keep an eye on the Saints Scoop for notice of the first meeting in September.
AVID OPENING WEEK TEAM BUILDERS!
- Speaking of Opening Week activities, the AVID program had their big AVID welcome event for students in Grades 9 to 12. See below to get a sense of some of the team-building and just plain fun that they found for themselves!
- The Careers Program is bigger and better than ever, offering more opportunities for LSS students to explore career options, and possibly gain valuable Work Experience course credits! See below for some of the opportunities being offered now, and be sure to click oral of the Blue links for more info! Careers General
- First Responders – October 10, 2018; Applications due September 28 First Responders
- Langley Memorial Work Experience – Three 2-day sessions; Applications due September 28 LMH Work Experience
- Township of Langley Fire Hall Work Experience – Two 3-month sessions; Applications due September 28 ToL Fire Hall
- City of Langley Fire Hall Work Experience – 90 Hour Experience; Applications die November 30, 2018 City Fire Hall
- Take Our Kids to Work Day – for Grade 9 Students on November 14; See Ms. Blessing in the Counselling Office for more Information! TOKWD Grade 9s
- Aviation Explorations 12 – Are you interested in aviation? Have you wondered about being an aerospace engineer, aircraft maintenance engineer, pilot, flight attendant, air traffic controller, airport operations specialist or working with Transport Canada? Or, are you just interested in flying for fun?
- Aviation Explorations 12 is a completely new course this year. It’s different from other aviation ground school courses because of its wide focus—not just being a pilot. Our goal is to give you a big picture view of what is available and help you ask the right questions for learning more. Because it’s offered after school (Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:00 to 7:00pm) you can enroll without scheduling conflicts with your other courses.
- The next class starts in LEC Fall Session (September to December) 2018. It is open to grade 10, 11, or 12 students who are interested in Aviation and able to participate in the various aspects of the class. Classes run Mondays and Wednesdays, from 4:00 – 7:00pm. There are no costs for enrollment for non-graduated students who are BC Residents. Students who are already graduated must check with Langley Education Centre to determine if they are eligible to register.There may be some costs for field trips and / or tools that students may wish to have related to the course. This information will be provided to students during the course.
- More info at: https://lec.sd35.bc.ca/programs-courses/aviation/ Or email the teacher directly: email@example.com
ANTHONY McLEAN COMING TO LSS (AND AN EVENING AT POPPY)!
- To kick off the school year, we have brought in Anthony McLean, a motivational speaker from eastern Canada. He will be doing opening year assemblies at LSS on Sept. 19.
- In addition, he will be doing a Parent Evening entitled, “What’s Up with Kids these Days?’ at DW Poppy Secondary on Tuesday September 18 at 7:00 pm. Please see the attached flyer for more details. Anthony has indicated that the evening will be suited for parents of students from grades 1 to 12. He will be sharing material that is applicable to students of all ages. If you are interested in attending this evening, please see the following flyer for more information: Anthony McLean Langley BC Poster
- Here is a link to Anthony’s website if you want to learn more about him. https://www.anthonymclean.org
- We have been working hard to ensure that the transition to the new building is as smooth as possible, for both staff and students! One change that we recently made was that, instead of moving into the New Building at Spring Break, we are instead going to begin the move at the very end of June 2019, with the goal of starting the year in September in the New Building and in the portables that will be arriving in the summer. In this way, we avoid most of the difficulties of a mid-year transition that would have been a strain on staff and students! If you have any questions regarding the Re-Build, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
(REMINDER) KIDS PLUS VOLUNTARY INSURANCE PLAN
- In the past, every year the District sends enrolment forms to schools for coverage under the Kids Plus Voluntary Insurance Plan. The plan is voluntary but I would encourage you to share the following information with the parents of your students as soon as you can so they have an opportunity to enroll as early in the school year as possible. There are significant benefits of this accident insurance coverage and every year it seems we have a student or two who lose teeth for example and have no coverage.Please note that going forward, enrolment in the program will be done online only, through http: https://www.kidsplus.ca. This information can be provided to parents through the school’s/District websites, e-newsletters and social media. The website provides information about the program including pricing and coverage. Parents and students should be able to locate all of the information they need online to make an application for coverage.In Step 2 of 4 of the online application, parents can select the school district that their child belongs to. Please select SD35 Langley. If they prefer they can also submit a paper application which is available via the website.
SCHOLARSHIP PRESENTATION AT WGSS
- Brittany Palmer will be doing her scholarship presentation “Unlock your Future” at WGSS on October 18, 2018. If you are interested in finding out more, please click on the following links: WGSS Invitation – WGSS Poster
TERRY SMALL COMING TO LSS
- Terry Small will be coming to LSS to talk about “Getting Better Grades in School” on October 2. To learn more, please click on the following link: 20180907121529423
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK! (In this case, photos from June and the summer!)
LSS CLUBS AND TEAMS
Most (if not all!) clubs at LSS are now done for the school year. Think about the club that YOU might want at LSS, and consider starting one up for September! All you need is a staff sponsor and a place to meet. Then, let me know and I will advertise the club for you so that you can bring in as many students as possible – you never know what new friendships are waiting to happen!
FROM THE LANGLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
IMPORTANT REMINDERS! Re: Registration for Transportation Services 2018-2019.
“If you have registered on line by 4:00pm August 30th, an email was sent Friday morning to confirm location and time of pickup”
If the parent did not receive an email; it might be due to incorrect email information or that the registration had not been fully completed”. ( also for special requests; which are not excepted by the transportation software)
To confirm their registration and information the parent should sign on to the “ School Cash Online” account and review the receipt which will confirm the email information.
If there is no receipt then the registration was incomplete and they will have to enter the registration via https://www.sd35.bc.ca/schools/transportation/ . (do not re register if special request – email email@example.com )
“If parents have not registered on-line please ask them to do so asap via the transportation website link https://www.sd35.bc.ca/schools/transportation/ – bus registration link is in the first paragraph.”
Parents should plan on providing transportation until their registration is confirm via an email with location and time. This could take up to 5 business days following registration but hopefully sooner. Any inquiries not covered in the above should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Operation: This IS You! FREE Fall Events for Girls & Women – Canadian Coast Guard, YVR and Royal Canadian Navy partner with Achieve Anything Foundation to offer a hands-on taste of ‘life on the job’ in high tech fields – Saturday September 15: Search & Rescue with the Canadian Coast Guard and Saturday September 29: Behind the Scenes – YVR Airport Operations. To Find more about these opportunity, please click on the following link:
- (REMINDER) There will be an Open House for the Langley Youth Resource Center on September 28. We would love to invite faculty, students and family members to come tour our space and learn more about our programs and what we offer: LYRC Open House
- (REMINDER) Please see the attachments for the Youth Calendar 29 Youth Calendar Sept 2018 and additional information on some of the amazing programs run through the Youth Hub. Please be sure to click on the link after each program in the list!
- “In the Know” education sessions – “Building Relationships Between Home and School” – held on September 18, 2018 at the Langley Civic Facility, in the Yorkson Creek room. Please see the attached for more information: FamilySmart-ITK-Poster-Langley-September-18-2018
- Please click on the link for the Pregnant and Parenting Youth September calendar: September 2018 PPYS calendar
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
Sept. 10 – Flex Begins! Flex will be FIXED for the first few weeks of school
Sept. 13-18 – Grade Assemblies, Details TBA
Sept. 19 – School Photo Day!
Sept. 19 – Anthony McLean presentations
Sept. 21 – School Improvement 1/2 Day – Students dismissed at 11:20 am
Sept. 27 – Terry Fox Run
Sept. 28 – Orange Shirt Day
Oct. 5 – Ministry Non-Instructional Day – Students NOT in Session
Oct. 8 – Thanks giving Day – School is CLOSED
Oct. 15 – Photo Retake Day!
Oct. 18 – Grad Cruise
Oct. 19 – Provincial Professional Development Day – Students NOT in Session
Oct. 24 – Parent Teacher Interviews – Students Dismissed at 1:30 pm. Interviews from 2 pm-7:45 pm
Oct. 25 – Parent Teacher Interviews – Students Dismissed at 1:30 pm. Interviews from 2 pm-4:30 pm
Oct. 29 – Collaboration Afternoon – Students Dismissed at 1:15 pm
Oct. 31 – Hallowe’en!
June 14 – LSS Graduation Ceremony, CLA, 7 pm
June 21 – LSS Graduation Banquet, Coast Hotel and Convention Centre, 6:30 pm