June 10, 2017
- Parent Dessert Tickets are NOW ON SALE! Parent Dessert tickets are finally ready to go on sale! They will be on sale for Monday and Tuesday ONLY in the main office – $15 each; this will allow parents in to see their grads, listen to speeches, and have a sampling of dessert squares , assorted cakes, cheesecakes, tarts, regular & decaffeinated coffee, and a selection of teas!
- Grad Breakfast is set for June 19, art 7 am in the cafeteria! LSS parents will cook up a breakfast feast for grade 12 students. This is also when Grads traditionally exchange yearbooks for signing, etc. Rumour has it that yearbooks may be in a bit early this year, and, of course, grade 12s get first look at it… stay tuned for announcements this week! Be sure to come on out to LSS a bit earlier, and hang out with your fellow grade 12s for one last memory blast!
- (REMINDER – THIS WEEK!) Grade 12 Grad Ceremony Reception – Call-Out to Parents! An LSS tradition is for the parents of grads to bring a “finger food” dish to CLA for the Grad Ceremony Reception. Some examples of dishes include: egg rolls, sushi, pizza, meatballs, cookies, and other baked goods/desserts. Of course, don’t let this list limit you – the options are as varied as you want them to be! How it works: when you come to the Grad Ceremony on June 15, please bring your “finger food” dish to the reception room at the back of CLA before you grab your seat – it’s that simple! And, of course, thank you in advance for your help in carrying on this LSS tradition!
- (REMINDER) Information for the Graduation Ceremony, June 15th (THIS WEEK!)
- All students must be at rehearsal Thursday, June 15 at 10:00-1:30 at CLA.
- Grads must return to CLA gym by 6:00 (earlier if they want to do photos outside CLA with friends and family).
- Families of graduates are to bring finger food – students will take from you as you arrive to line up outside CLA front door.
- Guests must present ceremony tickets to gain entrance into CLA. We are still sorting through extra ticket requests.
- If you have a guest in a wheelchair, please ensure you are at the ceremony early (prior to 6:00) so we can accommodate on the main floor of the ceremony as there is no elevator for balcony seating.
- Doors will open shortly after 6:00 pm
- Guests must be seated by 6:45 pm
- All guests must remain seated for the duration of this very formal ceremony.
- (REMINDER) Grad Ceremony Tickets: There are still tickets available. Additional tickets are $10 each.
- (BOOK YOUR TABLES – LAST CHANCE!) Grad Dinner and Dance Tickets: Dinner Dance Tickets are on sale for $65 each. We have EXTENDED the deadline – please see the main office ASAP if you would like a Dinner and Dance ticket!
- (REMINDER) Grads: You must return your overdue library books and textbooks ASAP in order to pick up your Grad Ceremony Tickets, as well as to purchase Dinner Dance Tickets. Please see the main office if you are not sure about owing books.
- (REMINDER) Scholarships:
- The BCPVPA annually awards up to 20 scholarships, in the amount of $1000 each, to students who are graduating from the BC public school system and will proceed to a post-secondary institution. Completed applications are due by Friday, September 29. http://bcpvpa.bc.ca/student-scholarships/
- The BC Retired PVPA annually awards four $1000 scholarships to students who are graduating from the BC public school system and will proceed to a BC post-secondary institution. Completed applications are due by Friday, September 29. http://bcrpvpa.ca/
- The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology offers scholarships to Canadian students wishing to pursue their studies at a Japanese university. The scholarship covers: full tuition; monthly allowance; and, round-trip flight between Japan and Canada. The application deadline is Friday, June 9, 2017. Visit http://bit.ly/2p93S3a (see undergraduate scholarship).
- Johnson Scholarships – 50 $1000 scholarships available for graduating students. Apply by August 31. http://bit.ly/2pGP2l8
- BigSun Scholarship Deadline – The scholarship deadline for the BigSun Organization scholarship is only a month away. Deadline – June 19, 2017. Amount of Award – $500.00 Please visit our website at http://www.bigsunathletics.com
ATHLETICS AWARDS NIGHT
- LSS Main Gym
- Tuesday, June 20
- 6:30 pm Snacks
- 7 pm Awards presentations
- BE THERE!
LSS IN THE NEWS!
- LSS grade 12 student Cameron Smith honoured with prestigious Langley rugby award for both his sportsmanship and his dedication to the game: http://www.langleytimes.com/sports/saints-smith-honoured-as-turpin-winner/
(REMINDER!) FOOD SAFE TRAINING OPPORTUNITY FOR LSS STUDENTS!
- We now have a date for this event: Tuesday, June 27 from 8:30 to 4 pm, at LSS (room TBA). If you are interested in getting Food Safe Training (Level 1) for the very reasonable price of $50, then please email Ms. Babecoff-Kimhi at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible – there are only 25 spaces available!!!
- (REMINDER – THERE IS STILL TIME!) Work Experience Helps NOW and in the FUTURE! We now have students on Work Experience placements that align with their career goals. These students have demonstrated their ability to keep up with their school work while working at least one shift per week as needed by the employer. Some of the current placements are in the areas of Landscaping, Carpentry, Painting, Tilesetting, Auto Mechanic, Plumbing, Sprinkler fitting, Warehousing, Manufacturing, and Photography. Some of these placements are a direct result of community members contacting Mr. Dickson. Thank you to those who are supporting our students. Even at this late stage of the school year please contact Mr. Dickson at email@example.com if you’d like to get involved.
(REMINDER) SUMMER SESSION IS COMING SOON!
- Ever thought of attending Summer Session? Did you know that students taking advanced credit courses typically make up about 70-80% of students in Summer Session? If you are interested, Summer Session information is now available! Information sheets are available for pick up in the Main Office, or click on one of the following attachments: SS 2017 Secondary Brochure v2 – SS 2017 Middle Brochure v2 – SS 2017 Elementary Brochure
PHOTOS OF THE WEEK!
FROM THE DISTRICT
- Vote now for the Langley School District Foundation by clicking on the link below! Winning the $50,000 SimpleGenerosity grant from Envision Financial, a division of First West Credit Union would enable the Foundation to expand its Food for Thought program to more schools around the district. The program currently supports Breakfast Clubs in 16 schools, snack programs in 12 schools, backpack programs in 20 schools and lunch programs in two schools. With new innovations such as tower gardens and new learning initiatives such as outdoor classrooms, the Foundation would be able to provide more healthy food, at lower costs to more students. And that’s not all! Students would grow their own food within a learning environment that is sustainable and environmentally friendly. The programs, according to teachers, parents and students themselves, have made a huge difference in terms of health, happiness, behaviour and academic success. Thank you for helping us celebrate Canada150 and strengthening our communities with SimpleGenerosity! Visit our story on Volinspire (https://volinspire.com/post/11074) and vote by choosing any of the emojis (smile, heart, Canadian leaf). You can only vote for each post one time.
- The Langley District Orchestra had a very successful inaugural year, and is looking for interested students who would like to join the ensemble! Please see the attached poster for more details: District Orchestra Poster FALL 2017
- (REMINDER) 2017/18 Kids Plus™ Accident Insurance Summary of Insurance Benefits – Please find attached coverage information for 2017/18 for the Accidental Insurance Policy that parents can purchase. Please include this information in schools’ year end newsletters and encourage parents/guardians to purchase this to avoid having to incur possible significant costs for injuries not enrolled for. 2017 2018 Kids Plus Proposal
- Langley Youth Hub: Please find the updated June 2017 calendar attached. Youth Hub will be running through the whole summer: 13 Youth Calendar June 2017
- Friends of Dorothy Drop In: Every Monday from 5:30 to 7 pm. Please see the attached poster for more details: Friends of Dorothy Flyer – Copy
- Community Bulletin Board – SD#35 Langley: To find out more about the different community events happening in our District, consider making it a habit to go to the District’s website, and you will certainly be in the know! https://www.sd35.bc.ca/news-events/community-bulletin-board/
UPCOMING DATES ON THE CALENDAR
- Jun 12: STEPS Program Science Fair, Block 1
- Jun 12: ELL “Transitions to Work” year-end party, 6 pm
- Jun 14: AVID Portfolio presentations
- Jun 15: Grad Rehearsal and Grad Walk, 10 am – 1:30 pm
- Jun 15: Graduation Ceremony at CLA, 7 pm
- Jun 16: Grade 9 Core Competency Final Self-Assessment/Reflection, Block 1
- Jun 16: Foundations Field trip to Cultus Lake
- Jun 16: Graduation Dinner and Dance
- Jun 19: Grad Breakfast and Grad Yearbook Distribution, Cafeteria, 7 am
- Jun 20: Athletics Banquet, Large Gym, 6:30 pm
- Jun 21: Last Day of Classes
- Jun 22: I Day (By Appointment)
- Jun 23: English 12 Provincial Exam, 9 am
- Jun 26: Communications 12 Provincial Exam, 9 am
- Jun 28: LSS Awards Night at CLA
- Jun 30: Report Cards Issued, details TBA