HISTORY OF LANGLEY SECONDARY
In the early 1950’s, if you were a teen in Langley you attended Langley High School. LHS had been built in 1948, replacing the older high school building, where, bursting at the seams, students had to attend in either morning or afternoon shifts to accommodate them all. After the move, the older high school was turned into Langley Central School.
The first graduating class at the new school was the class of 1949. There were 23 classrooms, a gym, science laboratories, 3 shops for industrial education and farm mechanics – and almost 1000 students. In 1949-50, Grade 13 was added to the curriculum, whereas before students would have had to travel to other municipalities. A fire destroyed the industrial wing on April 30th, 1951, but it was soon rebuilt.
As families boomed, so did Langley’s population. By 1957, LHS had to again go on shifts as it had done in the old building, until Aldergrove High School opened in 1958. Students in the eastern half of the municipality attended Aldergrove, and students in the west attended Langley High School. Although it has grown and changed over the years, Langley High School, now Langley Secondary School, still serves many Langley teens.
RECENT HIGHLIGHTS FROM LANGLEY SECONDARY
- Over the past six years at Langley Secondary, the students have won the highest number of local and district scholarships in the district five of those years!
- Over 60 students in our Leadership class organize numerous events for students at lunch hour.
- We have a full musical theatre production every year. One of our fully-credited courses is Musical Theatre and it is scheduled every Monday night. HD Stafford students also take this course.
- Our Varsity Football Team came in the final 2 in the province this year and had the opportunity to play three times at BC Place in the semis ultimately placing 2th in all of B.C.
- Each year, the students raise money to support families in need within our community.
- LSS offers athletic opportunities such as: basketball, football, volleyball, cross country, track and field, soccer, wrestling, lacrosse, rugby, badminton, hockey, and golf.
- LSS offers many clubs/groups to participate in including: Leadership, PE Leadership, Students for Change, Gay/Straight Alliance, Drag Racing, Robotics, Video Game Club, Peer Counselling, Book Club, Me to We Club, Grad Council, Dance, Anime and Art Addicts Club.
- We provide free after school tutoring every day in our Tutoring Drop in Center. Students are able to seek assistance in any subject area.
- Unique Programs/Courses at LSS (not offered at more than 1 other high school in the district): Baseball Academy, Softball Academy, Intensive Fine Arts Program, Piping/Plumbing Dual Credit Post Secondary Program, Musical Theatre, AVID Program, Kwantlen Xcel Program, Trades I and Trades II Intensive, Japanese, Italian, and Dance.