Community Round Table:
The Community Round Table was formed in the 2009-2010 school year as a result of a motion passed by the School Board following a presentation by parents on the value of using a Community Round Table at LSS to assist in the amalgamation of HD Stafford and Langley Secondary.
The Community Round Table at Langley Secondary School is a body representative of the school community as well as the surrounding community. Currently it is structured to include representatives from each of the following school community groups: teachers, CUPE staff, parents, students and administration as well as representatives from outside of the school walls: representatives from Langley Township, City of Langley, and Kwantlen Polytechnic University as well as representatives from various other community organizations.
The purpose of the Community Round Table is to discuss issues and ideas around school community improvement in a collaborative manner. It is not a decision-making body, but rather a think-tank whose focus has been on improving engagement and bridges within the Langley Secondary family of schools and the broader community. Student engagement is key to improving student achievement. Bridges are key to the future success for our Langley Secondary family of schools and our community.
- Finalized the School’s Vision and Mission Statements.
- Purchased an Electronic Sign to Modernize LSS. The LSS PAC has contributed the majority of the funds or the sign. In addition, both the Township and the City granted LSS $5000 each towards the sign. Kwantlen University Horticulture Program designed the garden around the sign to beautify it.
- Initiated the Kwantlen Xcel Program whereby our grade 12 students have the opportunity to take university courses in their grade 12 year for free! Now the entire district is involved in this initiative and it is going province-wide.
- Healthy Living/Recreation Partnership with Township And the City- The Township of Langley and the City of Langley have offered after school programs at LSS free for LSS students. Drop-in sports, yoga, zumba, art classes.
- Support for Homeless Youth at LSS We have a number of homeless youth each year at LSS. We were concerned that we are not able to support these students outside of the school day so we wanted to connect to community organizations that can help them. To this end, the Community Round Table connected the school to Aldergrove Neighborhood Services (now called Encompass) and now a youth worker from their organization works out of LSS on Mondays to connect with students in the school who are homeless. This youth worker connects them to resources outside of LSS in the community to support them.
- Financial support for the LSS Lunch Program. The Community Round Table was able to find an anonymous donor to fund our lunch program for the next few years at minimum.
- Financial support for bus passes for kids. The Community Round Table was able to find grants/sponsors to assist the school in providing bus passes to students who were unable to afford taking transit to and from school.